The Sewing Place

Singer 99k advice

KeenNewbie

Singer 99k advice
« on: March 21, 2021, 13:25:23 PM »
Hi everyone! I recently got hold of a lovely second-hand Singer 99k. The only problem is that it has a motor on the back but the previous owner has lost the cables/pedal, and using the side wheel manually seems a bit daft. Is it possible to somehow fit a hand-crank to a formerly electric machine, or should I be looking for cables and hoping the motor is still alive?

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Singer 99k advice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 14:39:57 PM »
I bought and fitted a brand new motor with pedal to my old straight stitcher. It was an easy enough job to replace the old motor so you could try a diy approach?

I bought my motor from Bedford Sewing & Knitting. www.bsk.co.uk

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 14:40:40 PM »
If the motor is a 'bolt-on' then it is possible to remove it and fit a vintage Singer handle in it's place. Handles are getting expensive, but you could try eBay or Helen Howes website. Modern replacement handles don't tend to have a good reputation.

As you don't know the working condition of the current motor it would be  gamble to try and get cables and hope it works.

The last alternative is to buy a new motor and foot pedal unit to bolt on in replacement of the existing one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YDK-Sewing-Machine-Motor-Foot-Control-Pedal-Fits-Old-Singer-99k-66k-201k/202267903082?hash=item2f181b446a:g:4~wAAOSwyHRaso5~
This sort of thing, I think you find them in black too if you look around

Enjoy
Leila

Lace

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 14:43:06 PM »
If the handwheel is spoked then you can fit one.  Do you want to use it as a hand crank or motor? You would need to buy the correct crank that fits the specific machine, as there are several different types, so it's best to let the supplier decide which is the correct one.  (That way you don't end up having to keep it if you chose the wrong one.)  There are videos on YT to help with a crank fitting. You can buy a modern foot controller. There is a postal service so could probably fix the motor or advise you.  If you remove an original motor, keep it as it's part of the machine's history. Love my little 99K.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 16:25:42 PM by Lace »
Formerly at The Sewing Forum. Singer 12K, two 28Ks, 66K, 99K, four 201Ks, 221K, two drawing room cabinets, and Bernina Sport. All dating from 1891 to 1981.

KeenNewbie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 18:51:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice :) The current side wheel is solid rather than spoked, so it looks like I'd need to replace that and take off the bobbin winder to install a hand crank. In the interests of keeping the machine (now named Matilda) as close to original as possible and avoiding messing with her mechanisms too much, I think I'm going to try and replace the external motor as Plan A  :vintage:.

HooliganHeart

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 13:35:31 PM »
Quite a few choices on after-market motor/foot controller kits, your 99K will be back up running in no time  :thumbsup: