The Sewing Place

Sewing for others - April 1-30 2021

SewRuthieSews

Sewing for others - April 1-30 2021
« on: March 31, 2021, 10:04:42 AM »
Sewing for others April 1-30 2021

Rules: Sew absolutely anything at all as long as it is for another person/organisation

Timeframe: Construction starts on 1st April and the item must be completed by 30th April.
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 6th May

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering have more than once )
What is it and for whom
A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos
PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT!

Please post your entries on the thread by 6th May

Ann

Re: Sewing for others - April 1-30 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:58:38 AM »
Ann #1

Reusable lunch bag for our daughter.

I can make these bags in my sleep and decided it was the perfect project to make while getting acquainted with my new Juki sewing machine. All fabrics, batting and button came from the stash. I prepped the fabric on March 31 and did 2 rows of stitching to try out the machine. April 1 was a day of frustration as I was trying to learn too many features of the machine.

I decided to cross hatch the fabric to a cotton/poly mix batting. My biggest issue was getting the foot pressure correct. Several rows of unpicking, I got the correct setting and settled down to sew on April 2. From that point on, I had no issues and was able to play a bit while I sewed.

The bag has a back seam in both the outer and lining fabrics. The bottom is boxed so it has a 6" base to sit on. It is very basic in construction.

I made the piping for the handles and button loop. I used the zipper foot to attach the piping to the handles. I also tried the zig zag stitch with no issues. When putting in the lining, I fit it first and cut off about 3/4" so the lining doesn't bag or sag inside. When I was happy with the results, I finished the bag and hand stitched the turning hole closed.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 14:03:19 PM »
Do Caravan covers count?  About to start later this afternoon...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 21:59:06 PM »
I’m putting an extra restriction on myself - it can’t be a bag or purse as you are all bored of seeing them haha! A friend has asked for a small storage tub to go on her hall table for ‘bits’ (we have one to keep opened post in, pencils, dog poop bags for when we walk next doors dog - basically anything that otherwise clutters the hall!)

I’m going to make it a round container with foam for the structure. Rather than cotton I’m hoping to use scraps of Harris Tweed in some sort of patchwork as I think it will look more substantial. Hopefully I’ll also have some suitable leather or PU leftovers I can use for decorative handles.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:35:46 AM by RJR_38 »

charley

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 21:37:01 PM »
This is for my No 1 grand daughter's birthday next week. It is a large embroidery hoop with a front layer for pencils, or eye make-up pencils, the second layer for notes or ?whatever. Front and back photo. In the second layer I've made a little purse that she can keep her sanitary products safe in her schoolbag.
The embroidery hoop is a charity shop find from last year, I have painted the outside, and attached a ribbon to hang on the wall beside her desk/dressing table.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:08:56 AM »
Nice idea @charley  ... Tho' I imagine there'll be plenty of Oh Gran  :| ... if you tell her what you intended the purse for !!!  :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

charley

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 21:04:34 PM »
Actually @Iminei , she is fine at the minute with that, she has even asked her Dad to buy some supplies when the unexpected happened at one point  :). My daughter and her hubby never cease to amaze me, and I hope their other daughter will have an equally easy menarche.
I have made another couple of those purses for a friend, whose grand daughters are conscious of sanitary products in their school bags.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 13:04:24 PM »
Lachica's first entry
Family t shirts for DD2
I may have mentioned before that SIL has long arms. 63cm pit to wrist :scream: so he has been angling for long sleeve t shirts to coordinate with the children. Pattern for his taken from one of his t shirts, sleeve drawn to fit. DD2's tee copied from one of hers. Children's are DIBY club ABB slim, bodies lengthened. Cloud fabric is an organic cotton lycra from Little Darling Fabrics. Mustard CL from Dragonfly fabrics as Little Darling didn't have any in stock. It's slightly thinner and doesn't feel quite as nice, but DD chose it. This is basically the same set as the red ones from March, but I printed my own labels on Calico using my rubber craft stamp. We'll see whether the ink disappears with washing. They're a bit too thick so I'll be ordering satin ribbon ones. My woven labels are too scratchy. I left the pockets off the children's this time, I find them very time consuming and am not very good at turning corners on the coverstitch.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »
Lachica's second entry
Long sleeve Tee shirts for SIL
Same pattern as before, sadly I'm quite quick at these now. Fabric is a 220gsm cotton/lycra bought from a destash on a FB group. Lovely feel, and apart from the edges curling, easy to sew on overlocker and coverstitch. I've at long last cracked the neckbands; pin fabric to ironing board, spray with starch. When dry, cut to 5cm for adults, 4 cm for child. Length cut to 80% of neck opening plus 1cm.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 19:22:00 PM »
I've only just spotted this - I shall have an entry or two ready in the next few days  :)

Starryfish

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 21:20:15 PM »
I've got two outfits for my Granddaughters planned, they should be quick to sew up!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 19:04:27 PM »
Bodgeitandscarper's entry.

Embroidered bags and blankets for SashaPoodle's breeder, for her recent litter's new owners.

The bags are made from a calico fabric, and the blankets are fleece, a light blue that doesn't show up too well in the pic.

I've hemmed the blankets using a fancy honeycomb stitch on my sewing machine, that took ages to stitch.  They measure about 1m x 80cm, and the bags are I think about 14" x 18" - yes, I'm happy to mix my measurement units  0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ann

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 21:21:07 PM »
Ann Belcham
Entry #2

Pair of placemats for our son-in-law's camper.

I bought this as a kit in 2013 and finally decided to sew it up this spring as it has hung out in the stash long enough. It was the perfect project to piece on my new sewing machine. The kit came with all the pieces cut to size. I sewed the strips together and cut them into squares and put the placemats together. The instructions were not the best - hand written on a piece of paper 8.5 x 5.5". Thank goodness for a decent photograph to help me out.

I sandwiched it with the batting and backing and then chose to stitch in the ditch and do cross hatching. The binding (which is too wide) was attached and hand sewn down.

It was a great project to learn about my new machine and to gift.

I am excited to give the dark side a try now that I've tested the waters.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:19 AM »
wow loads of great entries!

I selfishly made some PJ trousers for myself but nothing for others.
I did offer to make OH some whale PJ bottoms of his own but he didn't seem keen for some reason!!!!

3 more days to go, so get sewing.....

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 13:18:37 PM »
Just remembered this!  I think I may qualify to enter - a shorts set for Lilya?

It will have its button/fastening on tomorrow, and I will post my entry.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.