The Sewing Place

Mays Mini Marvels

Catllar

Re: Mays Mini Marvels
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2021, 18:17:24 PM »
I've started playing with a second mini quilt but although I'll finish it ( cos that's the kind of girl I am) I've already decided that mini isn't me. Need to be too precise. I will take pix of blocks before I start sewing it up.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

whofilets

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2021, 23:06:59 PM »
I forgot that I had taken progress pics! I don't have a shot of the fabrics I picked or laid out bc I really was sorting through weird bags of scraps and strings and cutting as I went. I "cheated" and tried out that fusible Quilters Grid - I got a little remnant of it, very appropriate for a mini quilt challenge.

You can see the little squares have bits of a paper airplane, a decades old bit from a Tommy Hilfiger shirt, a "fair isle knitting" piece of a blue ornament, but the whole fabric was mostly white- and the edge of the framing, which was a single strip of a jelly roll cut down the center.

I went by the 1 inch squares of the Quilter's Grid and the patchwork is finishing at 1/2 inch. All quite fun! And I don't feel bad about cheating with pre-marked fusible grid. I still use tracing and scissors, like I did before I got a rotary cutter. and we're not all piecing by hand or stuffing our quilts with raw cotton and old cloth for batting  :D
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Acorn

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2021, 08:47:46 AM »
That's not cheating - that's using what's available!!

Lovely - and tiny!!   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2021, 09:25:22 AM »
Thats certainly not cheating @whofilets  ... thats using tools for the job ....

I think the only way you could cheat in this challenge is to use a printed fabric that looks like mini patchwork and sew along the lines! THAT would not be acceptable.

Very Very nice ... How big is it at the finish? Next layering, backing and binding!   :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

LeilaMay

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2021, 12:09:45 PM »
May I offer a photograph - this is NOT an entry. I didn't make it, it was made by a lovely friend in Australia, as a bed quilt for a dolls house. It is all silk, and hand pieced.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

LeilaMay

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2021, 12:12:45 PM »
I know it was meant to look like a full sized quilt would look, which is why I posted the first picture without scale. Now take a look at the ruler! It's amazing and I treasure it - it was made by Lutestring  <3
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:58:12 PM by LeilaMay »

Iminei

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »
Exquisite @LeilaMay  and thank you for your honesty...

So much talent!

Catllar

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2021, 18:01:35 PM »

I think the only way you could cheat in this challenge is to use a printed fabric that looks like mini patchwork and sew along the lines! THAT would not be acceptable.

Drat, you noticed!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

whofilets

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2021, 00:49:18 AM »
wow @LeilaMay that is a stunner! thanks for sharing!

@Catllar you would notice if I used cheater quilt fabric bc my "seams" would finally be even   :angel:

whofilets

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2021, 15:35:26 PM »
 :toast:
May Mini Marvel, complete!

It finished at 9.75 inches x 7.75 inches at its widest point. Much like a full size quilt made by me will probably be, it was a little wonky and uneven.
Both the light mint green and the navy binding were premade bias binding from my ancient stash of bindings and trims (I bought a small lot on eBay back in like 2012 and they look like they're mostly from the 60s-80s). The bias binding was a little hard to keep straight and only one corner successfully mitered front and back- it's so small you can't notice.

I was going for a blue and green diagonal, postage stamp quilt- ALMOST every square is from a different fabric. I love the tiny blocks taken out of context. Like the blue square at the top that looks like a white J- it's the bottom of an umbrella. Or a sparkly green bit- how would you know it's the green vest on a bulldog, from fabric with "dogs dressed in green for St Patrick's Day"?

here's a fun artsy shot taken on a bush near a carpark in Ely:

Iminei

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2021, 20:13:53 PM »
Wondeful @whofilets  ... Bravo .. Entry No 1...

You'll need to compose an entry using the template below (you dont need to include the headings) and remember to include piccies within the text!

Details to include:

Your User Name and  Entry Number (if  entering have more than once )

What is it and for whom (if applicable)

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

Fabrics used (pictures welcome)

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.

PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT

whofilets

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2021, 20:36:37 PM »
Thanks @Iminei ! I was looking for the entry rules but I couldn't remember where to hunt them down.

fajita

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2021, 13:37:06 PM »
I’ve made it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Tiny quarter square triangles. Completed to 10” square.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 13:38:41 PM by fajita »

Iminei

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2021, 15:17:04 PM »
Oh My!!!

I had no idea when designing (?) this years events how accurately I had named this one ... that is glorious @fajita  ... as per usual ... Im quite overwhelmed with how talented you girls are!!!

Pearl

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2021, 16:24:49 PM »
Beautiful, @fajita .  (I won’t be taking a close up pic of the corner of my binding.)