The Sewing Place

Sewing Place Inaugural Boom - sign ups!

RJR_38

Sewing Place Inaugural Boom - sign ups!
« on: May 18, 2021, 08:16:57 AM »
So we are going to host our first ever Boom on TSP (let's hope it is one of many!)

Please sign up below but PLEASE make sure you can commit properly as you will have other people's fabric etc. Time shouldn't be an issue as it is a several month event.

Once the group is confirmed you will receive a list of Board Names of those in the group. You choose your fabric, prepare it and send it to me for distribution to the other members. You need one Fat Eighth (no smaller than 19” x 10”, a little larger is welcome) for each member. Please send 10, even if the group number is smaller! Send all F8s to me along with any special requests for your fabric. I will distribute them to the other members. You stitch a block for each member using your 100 percent cotton quilting fabric out of the F8 you receive. When you have finished all blocks, you post them to me to sort and return to the owner.

Please note: Board participation is an essential ingredient in making this swap successful. So much information about the swap is found there, much more than I can possibly write in this sign-up post. If you wish to join the swap, please understand it is your responsibility to read all posts and post at least fortnightly. If something comes up and you cannot post, please have somebody email me. Absolutely no disappearing please!

Anticipated schedule:

Sign-ups end Saturday 22nd May Noon

ALL F8s due to me Wednesday 9th June
I ship F8s to you Saturday 12th June

Group blocks due back to me Wednesday 11th August

I post group’s blocks back by Wednesday 18th August at the latest.

Rules/Guidelines:
Please do not sign up unless you can commit to making 10 blocks in the 2 months

Fabric, Completed Block and Package Preparation:
1) Use only 100 percent quilting cotton. Fat Eighths are no smaller than 19” x 10” but a little larger is welcome. No exceptions.

2) When mailing your f8s to me, please make sure they are individually sealed in a small ziploc-type plastic bag. Please label each baggie with your board name (make it easily visible to me) along with any instructions or color requests for your fabric. This may be a note inside or a label on the outside. Labels stuck on are useful to help the recipient prevent fabric mix-ups, something that’s easy to do but a nite inside will be fine. Please then take all the individually wrapped F8s and put them in a large ziplock-type bag onto which you have written your name and address. This you will then put into your mailing envelope. Later, when you send your completed blocks back to me, please seal and label them with the owner’s board name and your board name easily visible to me in a similar manner as you did the F8s (reuse the same bags and notes for ease!)

3) Please mail your F8s to arrive by the due date. The sooner everyone gets them to me, the sooner they go out.

4) Carefully handle all fabric received and completed blocks, placing them somewhere safe until mailing time comes.

5) To help keep track of the fabrics and blocks made, I will create a Google photo album

6) You are required to keep in touch with your group by posting your progress to the dedicated Boom group thread at least once a fortnight, even if you have completed your blocks early. This is a requirement. Nobody likes to make a slew of blocks and not have them acknowledged. If you do not keep in touch with me or the group for any reason, you will not be able to participate in the next Boom. If you don’t wish to keep in touch, this is not the swap for you.

7) All blocks must be completed within the time frame for the group and posted back to me.

8) All blocks must be 12 1/2” unfinished. This means you must measure. Blocks may be traditionally pieced, paper-pieced, appliquéd, whatever the block maker decides to do. It is up to each individual. Please do not request specific blocks as the idea is to let everyone, of every skill level, join in and show their talents.

9) Most importantly, let’s keep this space a positive and enjoyable place to be! We’re all here to have fun, even me.

Important Shipping Details
All shipping costs are your responsibility. Be sure when you ship to me that you have covered the cost fully as I will not accept packages with postage due. You may ship to me in whatever  package you like however I will only post to you using Royal Mail, second class tracked (unless other arrangements have been made) at the rate in force at the time of posting, currently £2.90 for large letter (A4 sized envelope/jiffy bag). Please send a pre-paid envelope with stamps or label or you may send me £3 in well-concealed cash to cover the cost of shipping the F8s and I will supply the envelope. You will also need to send me an additional £3 for return shipping of your completed blocks. This can be done in advance or when you send back your completed blocks.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this will answer all your questions!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:52:42 AM by RJR_38 »

Kad

Re: Sewing Place Inaugural Boom - sign ups!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:37:59 AM »
Is there any chance that this could be made to work without using the plastic bags? I can understand why they are used but I don't use them, ( one of a few ways I have doing my little bit for the planet).
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
Lots to read here. Theoretically I'm in, however the postage costs from UK to Europe will be more expensive so you might need to check that out so I can send the correct amount to you. Also consider that second class postage often doesn't arrive at destination here. I'd hate for someone to be disappointed if expected goodies don't arrive!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

fajita

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 09:03:09 AM »
I’m in.

RJR_38

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 09:08:19 AM »
Is there any chance that this could be made to work without using the plastic bags? I can understand why they are used but I don't use them, ( one of a few ways I have doing my little bit for the planet).

Good point. I have quite a few zippy bags that I recycle to breaking point but understand that not everyone will. Would paper bags work? We just need a way to keep your note/label with your fabric so when people have 10 they don't muddle them up...

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »
Lots to read here. Theoretically I'm in, however the postage costs from UK to Europe will be more expensive so you might need to check that out so I can send the correct amount to you. Also consider that second class postage often doesn't arrive at destination here. I'd hate for someone to be disappointed if expected goodies don't arrive!

Yes - I know- tried to keep it brief before and then there were lots of questions so I tried to cover everything...

I have send quite a bit to Europe recently second class tracked/signed for and it has all been prompt (I've just had to do a little customs label).  I can't remember costs- let me check.  Happy to do the type of postage you think would work best for you catlar (while balancing your costs!)

fajita

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 09:14:21 AM »
@if people are willing to do a tiny bit of extra work, little organza bags could work, @RJR_38

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 09:30:39 AM »
I have loads of those organza bags as I used them for Christmas pressies one year ... Youre welcome to them if you cover the postage ... They're very light so shouldnt be much. ... large letter £1.50 ???

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Thats a FQ in the bag (20" x 20").. wont be much use with the blocks though ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:38:45 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 09:47:53 AM »
@RJR_38   I'm in.

Do I understand that when we recieve a batch of F8ths we make a block from each one adding our own fabric as necessary and then keep the remaining bits of each F8th - to add to the eventual quilt or for anything thing else?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 09:58:46 AM »
@if people are willing to do a tiny bit of extra work, little organza bags could work, @RJR_38

Most organza is polyester.  If you are concerned about plastic it's no better than polythene ziploc bags. 

Alternatives would be silk organza £££ or cotton tulle.  Cotton organdi or cotton voile are also possibilities, but less see-through, would that be a problem?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »
I’m in....

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
Do I understand that when we receive a batch of F8ths we make a block from each one adding our own fabric as necessary and then keep the remaining bits of each F8th - to add to the eventual quilt or for anything thing else?

Thats a point ... Isnt a Fat8 a lot of fabric for one 12 1/2" block ??? especially if your adding your own stash and background fabric ???

Clarification Please @RJR_38
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 14:25:07 PM »
Do all your 10  fat eighths have to be the same fabric?  >:)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 17:02:18 PM »
I’m in and I may have chosen my fabric!

RJR_38

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 18:07:22 PM »
@RJR_38   I'm in.

Do I understand that when we recieve a batch of F8ths we make a block from each one adding our own fabric as necessary and then keep the remaining bits of each F8th - to add to the eventual quilt or for anything thing else?

Exactly this Brenda! A fat eighth seems a lot but if you choose to do a patchwork block with quite a few pieces or you want to fussy cut something  it soon goes! It also allows you a tiny bit spare for a 'whoops' moment! If you want to send back the leftovers you can but that isn't the expectation.

@Lowena  No they don't have to be the same if you don't want them to be! I haven't chosen my fabric yet but I do know I have a set of co-ordinating floral fat eighths I acquired from somewhere I may consider...  :thinking: I know you were also worried about the photo element - and I don't want it to stop you taking part. Can you email or WhatsApp photos and I can upload them for you? Let me know what you think!

In terms of the bags - I am not going to over-complicate anything. I will leave the request as plastic bags (reused or otherwise) but if you wish to use paper bags, organza bags or anything else you may have  I will do my best to make sure you get exactly the same ones back... just be aware that if you use anything too bulky it may add postage costs
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 18:11:02 PM by RJR_38 »