The Sewing Place

Machine needles!

KayK

Machine needles!
« on: June 28, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »
I have used Schmetz brand needles for a long time with no problems, all types, all sizes.  I am now the very happy owner of a Janome 6700MCP, and decided to try the own brand needles that came with it.  Everyone, without fail, has fallen out at some time during the sewing, despite my pretty decent tightening regime!  I have gone back to my Schmetz needles with nary a glitch!  There must be a tiny discrepancy on width is all I can think!

I read on some forum somewhere (not here!) that Janome machines should only use Janome needles.......but I am guessing this is just a bit of sales spin! However, I am not going to use them ever again!

Anyone else had needle problems?
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Gernella

Re: Machine needles!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
All hail Schmetz @KayK . I don't think I've ever used the ones that came with a machine.  When I've sold I just pass them on.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kad

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »
The needles that come with a new Janome machine, and those that are sold under the Janome brand are ORGAN brand needles
I've not had problems with them escaping from the needle clamp, but they blunt so much more quickly than the Schmetz ones do. Like @Gernella, I just pass them on if I sell the machine and buy boxes of 100 Schmetz ones in the sizes I use most often
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 13:36:07 PM »
I've used all brands of needles on my Janomes over 30 years with no problems at all. I think it is sales talk to say you can only use a certain brand to be honest.

Only problem I have had with the Janome Blue Tip (my go to on my Janome for most things) is on my Brother Overlocker. I broke 2 in fairly swift succession recently the first time I tried them. Machine is 30+ years old and takes anything your throw at it normally.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 47

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 13:42:03 PM »
I too like Shmetz needles and also buy them in bulk, if I can't get Shmetz in the quantity I want and my stock is running low my fall back are Grolsh.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 16:51:37 PM »
I do think I'm skinny with needles, but, I have a small Sharps box, about six inches high and it does sound as if there are a lot in.

Whatever I size I use I leave the rest of the pack on top near the thread stalk so I know which are in use.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 17:14:59 PM »
I'm happiest with either Schmetz or Organ, I suppose Schmetz have an advantage with their colour coding system rather than needle quality but I can buy my favourite superstretch needle in Organ at a local supplier so I have quantities of both brands.

I don't like Klassé or Prym though. I've get problems with my needle threader with them sometimes - I've noticed the eye can be smaller than the equivalent type and size in Schmetz/Organ and then I also struggle threading it by hand, which isn't normally a problem for me with my good glasses and a pair of tweezers and it's my impression that they don't perform as well or last as long as the other two.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 17:33:41 PM »
I use Schmetz and Organ - the Organ anti-glue needles are very good.  I have had Janome needles for my Husqvarna Megaquilter, which needs HLx5 needles (and is more or less identical to the Janome 1600P).  I did get through the Janome needles in record time (they all broke) but I think that had more to do with my free motion quilting than the needles.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 17:54:12 PM »
The Janome brand needles are made by Organ but they may have their own special order as long as it stays true to the designated needle system.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 15:29:39 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 19:42:52 PM »
My Sears Kenmore was made by Janome 30 years ago. I used the needles that came with , without any problems. I buy Schmetz as a rule, but have purchased what was available in a pinch. No problems ever. (Even used the wrong size bobbin for first 28 years with no problem.)

All of that said, when I first started reading sewing forums 10 years ago as I wanted to start clothing sewing again, everyone kept talking about thread quality and how thread would break and shred. Sounded like a bunch of hooey to me as the only time in life I'd had that problem was when I'd bought the "10 spools for a $1" junk a couple of times. Then I tried to use some Gütermann I'd received in a Christmas gift pack. All of it shreds like crazy. Can't even use it for trial garments or hand basting - its nasty stuff.

So thread isn't all made the way it used to be and most likely neither are needles. I think Organ brand is a Japanese company which is typically a sign of quality. But I've noticed even some Japanese steel companies are outsourcing to China or elsewhere. Could even be that the Janome factory that made the OP's machine outsourced to China for their needles. They may have nothing to do with Organ at all.

I've never seen the need to use Janome brand needles. If Janome has sourced to a Chinese manufacturer it may no longer be using Organ - or - Organ may have set up a Chinese facility just to service Janome and other possible contracts. I wouldn't write off Organ needles from this one experience at all.

I know everyone knows what Walmart is.  During Covid, I've had to buy cat food for my Mom's cat. She would only eat Fancy Feast Grilled Chicken - in tiny one serving portions. (My last two cats were the same). Walmart started selling only that flavor in a box of 12 at some point. They also sell the loose cans that come in a case pack like all other stores.

Mom mentioned her cat would become tired of the Grilled Chicken occasionally and refuse to eat it. I hate shopping at Walmart, especially during Covid, so at times I'd pay more for the cat food elsewhere and the cat would lap it up!

Finally, my parents insisted I go to Walmart for cat food because it was so cheap there. So I paid close attention. Yes the individual cans were 20 cents cheaper on average to other supermarkets. But then I compared pricing to the 12 can pack and the large pack was only 5 pennies cheaper than the 12 cans individually! So I bought some of both and I still had a can purchased elsewhere at their house.

I got back and opened 3 cans - one from the big box, one loose from Walmart one loose from another store.  The two loose cans were identical. The "chicken" actually looked and smelled more like actual chicken in both loose cans. The large pack can was completely different, mushier in texture and an "off" odor. Also, from packaging, labeling, and date stamp font - a completely different manufacturer! So no more big packs for this cat!

Sorry this post is so long, but here's a truth that few people realize. Manufacturers measure costs - and therefore savings - in 1/1000 of a penny. Even on things like large restaurant equipment or office furniture.  They want to know if a part for a $3000.00 item costs them $1.02 each or $1.0167 each. They keep up with that difference.

So everyday quality becomes more and more questionable on everything. As a result, as a consumer, it will become more and more important to educate ourselves on virtually every aspect of our lives - right down to where a sewing needle is made or where a tin of green beans are canned.

Just last week I bought a tin of Lima beans, expecting the attractive green color pictured on the can like has always occupied the contents of tinned Lima beans. (They are a light beige when purchased dried and a pretty green when frozen. Tinned, frozen and dried have 3 distinct flavor profiles - with tinned and frozen being similar.)

Most of the beans in the tin I bought were some icky shade of pale green or beige and the flavor reflected the poor coloring. Research online explained the various "grades" of lima beans that can be tinned - and the grade apparently is not required to be on the can!

I just wanted a quick simple side for dinner!

A bad batch a sewing needles is a pain. But now every tin of food I purchase may require research!

Oh, so irritating! :boohoo:

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 16:17:20 PM »
I've never heard of a problem with Janome needles although I 've been told that Singer needles only fit Singers of any age but all other needles can be used with Singers.  I always use Schmetz as they make needles for Bernina as well as some other makes of machines.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 19:45:29 PM »
So long as your machine takes a standard size needle; 130 / 705,  HAx1 or 15x1 all the same, just different labelling, you should be able to use any brand in any machine.  Quality is a different matter, and size (thickness) and style (point, eye length etc) are according to the fabric being sewn.

A couple of informative websites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine_needle

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=needle-information
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

KayK

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 22:24:51 PM »
I think I may have discovered the cause of the falling out needles - i have noticed that the Janome needles have a layer of 'colour' applied to the needle to denote type, and I have noticed that each needle that has dropped out has had the layer of coating scraped off - this must somehow make the needle looser in the holder, and as it 'jiggles' the coating wears and the needle drops out!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well