AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Celia

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #375 on: December 27, 2021, 16:26:40 PM »
@realale Guilty as charged :loveit:

BrendaP

« Reply #376 on: December 27, 2021, 16:45:21 PM »
I must try to master dpns .  I am happy with magic loop but realise that socks would be quicker on dpns, but they are so pointy.
Depends on the knitter.  Pulling the loop through might, or might not, be quicker than changing needles.

I am definitely faster with DPNs but knitters who are uses to magic loop will be faster that way, and others prefer two sets of circulars (or even one set of very  short circulars :ninja:)  Try all methods to find what you like but don't be surprised if you end up sticking with the magic loop.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Starryfish

« Reply #377 on: December 28, 2021, 12:37:15 PM »
SILS's other pair. I had to redo the heel on the last sock several times, due to poor light and cold fingers.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'm on a roll now, knitting myself a pair!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Flobear

« Reply #378 on: December 30, 2021, 08:25:50 AM »
Finally have a pic of a finished Hearthside slipper! The sole is knitted for the right one but super-concentration needed for the shaping coming up.

The width of the heel is more than I would like but that may not be a problem in use.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ouryve

« Reply #379 on: December 30, 2021, 16:01:51 PM »
OK, not finished in time for Christmas and I should have tugged that graft a little firmer at the start (hopefully that will smooth out in the wash) but all I need to do now is knit this one a mate.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

« Reply #380 on: December 30, 2021, 16:03:12 PM »
Attachments not behaving!

And I definitely find magic loop easier - and safer with a child who might be tempted to whip a needle out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 16:05:28 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Flobear

« Reply #381 on: December 30, 2021, 16:59:12 PM »
I like using magic loop and circulars because I'm a loose knitter  :o  and every so often a dpn will slide out of a smallish item like a sock or a glove.

realale

« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2022, 13:40:06 PM »
I've started on the second sock of my second pair. 20 rows in and already several mistakes but not ones massive enough for me to go back and rectify (I doubt anyone will notice once they are being worn!!  :laughing:). First sock was okayish but I mucked up the kitchener stitch on the toes - I got distracted and forget what I was doing. Other than that I think I'm getting the hang of this sock knitting malarky!!  :dance:
So many beers, so little time.

Celia

« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2022, 13:42:57 PM »
Glad to see the socks are still going well, I am still on the grey and orange ones as I have stopped to knit other things.  They are growing again now but slowly

Ann

« Reply #384 on: January 07, 2022, 16:55:11 PM »
DD tried on her grey socks and they fit her perfectly. She going to wear them when she goes riding her horses.

I now can knit her more socks knowing this pattern works for her. She still has to try her other pair on for a fit.

Right now I am knitting her heavy socks to wear in her boots she wears to feed the horses. She loves these socks and wore out the 2 pair I made her several years ago.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Flobear

« Reply #385 on: January 08, 2022, 12:51:15 PM »
I have finally got past the really difficult bit on Hearthside right slipper. German short rows on this pattern are difficult to follow because I have to keep checking what the abbreviations mean. Then if I make a mistake or think I have, I have to track back on all the rows one stitch at a time unlike normal knitting when you can often track downwards with the help of a spare needle or crochet hook.

Mind you, I mustn't get too blasé because I made a mistake on the chevron pattern with the left slipper when I wasn't concentrating on the grid pattern properly.

Ouryve

« Reply #386 on: January 12, 2022, 17:04:22 PM »
I've started on the second sock of my second pair. 20 rows in and already several mistakes but not ones massive enough for me to go back and rectify (I doubt anyone will notice once they are being worn!!  :laughing:). First sock was okayish but I mucked up the kitchener stitch on the toes - I got distracted and forget what I was doing. Other than that I think I'm getting the hang of this sock knitting malarky!!  :dance:

I went through a phase of making some elaborately patterned socks but soon realised it's pointless because I'm not the sort to wear thick socks with a skirt and silly shoes. I live in the northeast and wear them when it's baltic! Vanilla socks bore me so just a simple texture or lace pattern does the job.

The top half of my socks mostly lives under jeans or joggers and the toe lives inside a boot or crocs. So yes, you're right, unless Mary Janes and 50s swirly skirts are your thing, no one will see the mistakes!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 17:39:40 PM by Ouryve »

Silver Rose

« Reply #387 on: January 12, 2022, 18:37:19 PM »
Have only just caught  up with this thread, what lovely socks, you clever people.
Still learning

Flobear

« Reply #388 on: January 12, 2022, 22:10:41 PM »
Finished my second Hearthside slipper at last  :dance: Will do a pic. of the pair tomorrow.

realale

« Reply #389 on: January 12, 2022, 22:13:22 PM »
Just turned the heel & started on the gusset so I'm getting there. Still not enamoured with this yarn but at least I like it better than the last lot!!
So many beers, so little time.