The Sewing Place

A studio for teaching sewing? (and a sneak peek at our new house)

WendyW

Re: A studio for teaching sewing? (and a sneak peek at our new house)
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2022, 15:20:54 PM »
Green with envy here.  Looks fabulous.  Then I have a reality check and think of the cleaning!   :laughing:

Yes! The thought of cleaning a bigger house has given me pause, BUT I designed this house, and everything I hated about cleaning the last house has been designed OUT of this one. And hopefully with enough built-in storage, clutter will be less of a problem.

Sewingsue

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2022, 15:38:20 PM »
Looks fantastic

Wanders off muttering 'they have more land over there that's why the houses (and sewing rooms) are bigger'
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

WendyW

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2023, 03:07:38 AM »
Last weekend my husband finished my new table. This one is about 6in lower than the old one, and much more comfortable to sew on. The old one got repainted and repurposed to a paper-crafting station.

I hosted a sewing service project for my church today, and got the room all cleaned up beforehand, so I took a picture to share. What you CAN'T see are the 6 tubs of fabric that DON'T fit on the shelves. My husband heard me tell my friends that I've sworn off buying "just for fun" fabrics until it all fits on that wall, and he asked for that in writing! (Don't worry, I won't commit myself in writing!) We had 11 ladies working in here today (including the rest of the space not in the picture) and it wasn't crowded at all.

I built all the storage on the back wall myself, gave my ironing boards a makeover, trimmed to size and mounted the doors on the front of my cutting table, applied the trim to the edges of both tables, and did all the painting. Next up is the Roman shades on the windows, and eventually closet doors/design wall over the middle part of the back wall, which will be a husband job.
clean room by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Silver Rose

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2023, 06:53:36 AM »
What a wonderful room.
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
Woah! WOW! What me jealous?? No not jealous at all

That space looks as big as the entire downstairs of my house  :faints:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2023, 10:22:21 AM »
Wow that is ginormous, not good for me, I'm a bit of a slut with cleaning.  Mind you I'd get plenty of exercise wandering from one table to another and I could have all the machines out at once.

Well worth waiting for @WendyW .
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lachica

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2023, 10:45:20 AM »
Wow! That's fabulous.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »
Wow, what a fabulous space.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2023, 15:26:20 PM »
Just found this thread and I am blown away.  How utterly fantastic!

Will you get many Norwegian Batchelor Farmers?  Ya, youbetcha!  (sorry, I had an attack of Garrison Kiellor/Marge Gundersson!)

Sewingsue

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2023, 16:49:48 PM »
Are you on FB @WendyW because I am sure I have seen that room there.

Looks fantastic. So tidy and organised

And big!!!
Houses in USA are just bigger - with more space for workrooms.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2023, 17:13:48 PM »
Fabulous @WendyW. You have done such a great job. I bet it's a pleasure to teach & work in.

WendyW

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2023, 19:03:09 PM »
@Sewingsue I am on FB; I think the only group I've put up room pictures in is Sewing Room Ideas, though I might have in another group if someone else started the topic.

Based on past history, the tidy state may be temporary. I'm hopeful that actually having accessible storage space will make it easier to keep clean. I've told myself that this is IT. There will be no more future moves where I can hope for more space "next time". If I can't make it all fit, things are going out the door, not being held in reserve.

It IS big, and that's a blessing! But it wasn't the goal. We wanted one-story living downstairs for the long-term and put the extras upstairs. After we put in the upstairs requirements of guest room, bathroom, and grandkid play space, I got what was left over.

@HenriettaMaria LOL! In this little pocket of the state, Finnish is more likely than Norwegian, but I'm related to both, so either one is welcome! So far all the neighbors are married, but I'm sure eventually some bachelor will find his way to my door with his holey jeans. But since I'm married, sewing is the only service he'll get. :)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2023, 19:21:28 PM »
@HenriettaMaria @WendyW

Garrison Keillor...soo dryly funny  :D

Ann

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2023, 12:16:56 PM »
@WendyW, your room is lovely. Perfect for a teaching studio as you can have enough people in it easily when you teach classes.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Surest1tch

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2023, 16:19:20 PM »
That's totally awesome @WendyW, I'm afraid I'm quite selfish and wouldn't want to share an amazing space like that with anyone, especially kids  :faints:.