The Sewing Place

New project fair isle

Ploshkin

Re: New project fair isle
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
I've been smiling to myself since you started this thread @Celia   A very dear friend, who is no longer with us, bought a kit (ready knitted body with the wool and pattern to hand knit the yoke) when on holiday in Scotland.  The suppliers were Skye Crotal Knitwear (Crotal / crottle / chrotail being the lichens used for dyes in the manufacturing process).  She told me that she had had an issue with it.  She had phoned the suppliers and had a lovely chat at the end of which they politely pointed out to her that they were Skye Crotal knitwear not Skye Scrotal Knitwear  :D  I do miss her.
Life's too short for ironing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »
I'd like this too.  I get so bored with the plain stocking stitch part. 
Yarn down:  150g
Fabric down:  0m

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 14:02:31 PM »
I knit fairisle with one colour over my index finger and one over the middle finger.  True fairisle never has more than two colours in a row/round.  Intarsia is a different matter!  I don't like doing it but it does require a lot more organisation.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 21:29:55 PM »
I was about to comment that there are only three colours there so shouldn't cause too much havoc.

During the recent cold days I have been able to wheel out my warm woolly pulli with the patterned yoke. I enjoyed knitting it and don't mind boring plain bits as I can chug along nicely while wathcing telly.
A sewing room now painted, in use and awaiting curtains.

Celia

« Reply #19 on: Today at 10:23:40 »
Knitting machine now up and running, I hope to get the tension swatch knitted today, I still need to put the ribber up but will wait until that is really needed as it takes up more depth in the room.

While the machine is up I might try to think of something else I might like to knit. :thinking:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: Today at 10:25:47 »
@Celia I always start with the rib, saves any messing about later.

Celia

« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:34:09 »
 @Bodgeitandscarper        Yes I will start with the rib I just meant I will do the tension swatch today and when it is washed and dry and I have worked out the pattern I will put the ribber on the machine then.