The Sewing Place

Newcastle Cardigan

sewmuchmore

Newcastle Cardigan
« on: January 22, 2022, 17:35:10 PM »
Finished today. As i mentioned else were the fabric, a teal and black boucle knit was destined to be a dress for me till he saw it and now it has become the the newcastle cardigan.
Much to his disgust i cut out and made the extra large (i am not THAT big!). The only alteration i made was to add pockets.
Initially he said he wanted the deeper collar but after pinning it on he went for the shallow one. Then he decided he wanted toggles, ordered some, then he decided that perhaps buttons would be better, MEN  :scream:
The pattern does say do not pick a fabric that is too thick, well this is a hefty fabric and yes the machine did struggle a bit with the thickness especially around the collar/shoulder seam area but we got there in the end with the aid of the humper bumper.
Next was the button holes, i was going to do bound ones but again after a practice run decided that the fabric was just too thick, then the auto buttonholer couldn't cope it kept getting caught in the raised threads of the fabric so reverted to the good old manual button hole foot and it coped admirably with the fabric.
Despite the hic ups it really is a fast make and he is now asking for another.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Flobear

Re: Newcastle Cardigan
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 19:04:37 PM »
Looks great, @sewmuchmore  :thumb:  Seems as if you overcame several hurdles. Glad that the recipient approves!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Vezelay

Re: Newcastle Cardigan
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 21:25:06 PM »
Great cardi, and worth all the effort by the sound of it since your hubby now wants another. Good call on the collar choice. I just hope he appreciates your fabric sacrifice.