The Sewing Place

To Horn cabinet or not

Diane

Re: To Horn cabinet or not
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 15:00:45 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas, I am definitely going off the idea of the horn especially as other people have had the same issue as me with long legs not fitting and the machine position.

@Celia Come to think of it, when i had my horn cabinet the needle position felt that it was slightlt too far to the left, only by an inch or so but enough to make it feel slightly off the correct position.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 15:07:50 PM »
@Elnnina I think there are only three/four of the horn cabinets that take the larger sewing/embroidery machines so the choice is limited. I'm probably still going to be dithering in six months time  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2022, 15:48:11 PM »
@StitchinTime I've been yearning for a Lynton for close on 20 years, ever since the company FKA Facades had a stall at K&S Ally Pally.  Unfortunately, we are at peak stuff and so I make do with a 90 year old gateleg table inherited from a great aunt.  The machines sit on and under a small bedside table my dad made beside it so it all tucks away nicely. 

The former proprietors of Exmoor offered the furniture in oak as well as pine and I thought it looked much nicer in oak.  The new owners don't seem to have that option, sadly.

Diane

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2022, 15:56:37 PM »
@StitchinTime That's funny, i was just looking at their website, the only trouble is that the cupboards are quite deep.

Diane

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2022, 16:23:09 PM »
@StitchinTime  This is an interesting one but i'm wondering if the brother V5 would store in the top part or whether it's too big?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 16:26:45 PM by Diane »

BlueCat

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2022, 16:46:40 PM »
I bought a Horn Quilters Delight a few years ago, as I was struggling to quilt larger size quilts. Extending the back and side flaps helped greatly to support the weight whilst sewing. With smaller projects, using the left side flap (with drawer pulled out) was great to keep all my sewing tools on. When not in use, the whole thing (including the 3 drawer unit) all fitted together neatly into a space 128x52cms.  I am quite petite, so never had any problems with leg room or sewing position.
It was very heavy, so couldn’t bring it back to UK from abroad, and had to gift it to a sewing friend   :cry:
It was expensive, but I thought it was worth it. I would have another one, but my current room doesn’t have enough space  :(

Celia

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2022, 18:24:22 PM »
@StitchinTime  This is an interesting one but i'm wondering if the brother V5 would store in the top part or whether it's too big?

I had looked at that one too but there is no way to drop the machine down to make a flat bed and I love my machine on that position.

@Diane i am consider some sort of cover or even painting the legs on my little table  as the height and position  is just right.

I have considered the  new folding horn table but can’t find out how the machine changes position, I have phoned horn but they didn’t have any info at the moment, the tables won’t be available until the end of the month.

Still thjnking

Diane

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2022, 18:34:52 PM »
@Celia
I'm still pondering and wondering whether i should keep my ikea gateleg table as it's super heavy, ideal for a heavier sewing machine, can also use it as a cutting table and it folds down and doesn't take up too much space.

I can also use it for doing jigsaw puzzles as well as eating at etc. I was thinking that i could get rid of the book case and just buy a couple of the nice storage units from ikea to keep all of my sewing bits in, i like the ikea desks but they are quite deep and stick out quite a bit and i know that would really annoy me. I have a two door solid oak sideboard that i use to store some sewing stuff in and i could sit my sewing machine on top of this. By doing this it would save me about £1200

Celia

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 19:49:50 PM »
That sounds like quite a good idea @Diane I am thinking much the same, how can I use and adapt what I have.

Diane

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2022, 19:58:20 PM »
I was thinking that i might try and put some brass castors on the legs of the table so that it moves easier  :thinking:

mudcat

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2022, 20:10:20 PM »
@Celia I love the purple legs.  :laughing:

I wanted a Horn a zillion years ago but the price put me off.  Currently I have an L shaped (two piece) table that was probably considered an office desk. I bought it at Copenhagen which sells sleek modern furniture.

The L shape works well for me as I have space for all three machines (sewing, serger/overlocker and coverstitch).  It works fine for height and there's plenty of space for my legs. 

Diane

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2022, 08:36:01 AM »
Today i have some lovely brass castors coming so i can make my ikea table easier to move. They are cup shaped so i'll have to shape the bottom of the legs to fit, i didn't want to buy the screw in ones incase the wood splits. I'll have to dig my chisel out and give that a sharpen before i start. The two legs that pull out will need lengthening by about 30mm but that's an easy job and then i'll add a glider to the bottom so it slides across the carpet easily.

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2022, 08:40:29 AM »
Very nice!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »
They are lovely @Diane i just wish I had your practical skills. Can we have a photo when done.

I am seriously going to give some thought to hiding the purple legs, I also have an old fashioned drinks cabinet which I have removed the insides from and am going to use that for storing some of the extra bits as well as my current knitting supplies.

I have wondered about trying to put a skirt over the legs like the old fashioned dressing tables, not sure how I would attach it though,I don’t want to use Velcro as it might catch things I am sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
@Celia for a simple purple-cover-up fix, could you wind some fabric around the legs?  Otherwise spry paint might be the easiest way to paint them.