The Sewing Place

Skewed Fabric

b15erk

Skewed Fabric
« on: February 10, 2022, 10:34:14 AM »
I've lifted out some fabric I bought years ago, and intend to make a coat with it.  Unfortunately, when I laid out the fabric, it looks off grain.  Not sure if this was caused by the weaving process, or the way it's been stored, but it's definitely 'off'.

I've seen a process on Youtube some time ago where the farbic was pulled into shape, but this fabric is quite heavy, and there's a lot of it...

I wonder if steam would help?

Has anyone done this, if so, is there a better way?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

eta if this is in the wrong place, will the mods please move it?
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

Re: Skewed Fabric
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 11:27:37 AM »
If you can get hold of a large piece of board (chipboard?) , pull it straight and pin it to the board and then steam it I would think it should help.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »
I have a plan.  I'm going to pull a thread to establish a straight line, then, I can see how much it needs to be manipulated.  It wouldn't be so bad, if the pattern was less obvious.

I do have a large board @Greybird , thank you for the suggestion, I think it should work - probably with much tugging and pulling!  :rolleyes:

I also remember a Youtube tutorial from an American school, which deals with this issue, I will have another look at it, but from what I remember, it involves much pulling and tugging...

Good job I'm not in a rush for this coat!!  :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 11:29:01 AM »
Just to add, I had a quick look at Youtube, and found several videos.

This one however, to my mind, is the best.

WestValleyHighStraighteningTutorial

It may take me some time... :rolleyes:

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 12:36:18 PM »
@b15erk are you going to be able to pull a thread on this fabric?   
Looking at it I’m wondering if it is actually a twill type weave.  In that case that may explain some of the problem.  Ever tried straightening denim?   

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 13:06:49 PM »
@Ohsewsimple , I've only straightened lightweight woven fabrics and I know it's a pain - especially if the design is printed on... :facepalm:

I've finished my paperwork for the day, so I'm going to take a look now - I'll report back!

The other thing I thought I'd check, is to see if the other end of the fabric is any better... fingers crossed!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 13:11:35 PM »
I've now pulled a thread at each end of the fabric, and it was cut very badly , but at least I know I have the grain straight now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a straightening problem any more, it seems as if the top of the fabric seems stretched compared to the under layer of the folded fabric.  :rolleyes:

So, I took the excess fabric, and cut two squares.  One of them, I steamed and pressed to try to shrink it. It didn't work.  This fabric will not shrink!  :rant:

I'll have to have a Google I think...

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 13:35:30 PM »
Doesn’t sound like wool @b15erk.  But then I don’t think a wool mix would shrink either.
I think I’d be leaving this to make something like bags, throw or poncho type E your coat from something else. 

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 13:57:20 PM »
@b15erk  is it worth shoving one of the squares in the washing machine to see if that helps sort the squewiffiness while wet?
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 17:59:45 PM »
If the washing machine square can be pulled straight then wash the whole length, pull it straight and find somewhere to let it dry flat. 

If washing doesn't make any difference then treat it as you would patterned curtain fabric and cut with the design running vertically.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 09:59:22 AM »
Thanks for all your input, it's much appreciated. 

I've decided to continue with this fabric, just to get rid of it.  So, the plan is - to wash it!  I'll wash the square first, to see how it behaves, and then put it in the machine on a cool wash.  :S  I'll have to wait a few days though so that I can dry it outside, and we are forecast wet, wet, wet for the next few days. 

I will very much have my fingers crossed because although it is beautifully soft, I have no idea of the fabric content... :faints: 

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 09:44:07 AM »
Fabric has been washed and dried, but I can't tell if it has flattened out properly until I lay it flat.

I will carry on with the coat, and manage the pattern as best I can.  I did think that perhaps if the stretched selvedge was still not flat, that I may just work a few inches inside it.  I seem to have plenty of fabric... :facepalm:

Watch this space - this project could take a while... :rolleyes:

Jessie