The Sewing Place

Mind blowing fabric - has to be Japanese

Marniesews

Mind blowing fabric - has to be Japanese
« on: February 17, 2022, 15:37:35 PM »
Mother of Pearl & lapis lazuli -  :scream: (in the best possible way)! Oh my word.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

bec

Re: Mind blowing fabric - has to be Japanese
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 15:49:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing, I didn't know the V&A were on youtube so will probably be going down that rabbit hole soon.  :)

The blue of the flower at the end is amazing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 16:00:00 PM »
Holy cow! (best Robin to Batman voice)
Beautiful
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 16:33:08 PM »
WOW!!!!

Well that knocks my working in a Brewery into a cocked hat!

They didnt (Or did they?) explain how they turned Lapiz Lazuli which I believe is a gemstone into thread ...

but Wow wow Wow ... Thank you very much @Marniesews
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 16:35:02 PM »
Good grief that was amazing!! So beautiful to watch but I'd clocked way before it was said that all the workers were of the more mature years. So sad that such skills will be lost.
So many beers, so little time.

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 16:35:09 PM »
How fabulous,  thank you @Marniesews.
Still learning

Ivydene

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 17:27:39 PM »
Such beautiful items and so ask that the skills are being lost.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 18:07:56 PM »
Fascinating and awesome  (in the true sense of the word).  what incredible skill.
 Thankyou.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 18:33:38 PM »
Wow, such a beautiful art. I am in awe of these people and fascinated by the machinery.  It's a shame this art is on the brink of being lost forever.
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 22:46:31 PM »
Amazing precision, sad that it's a dying skill but sadly not surprising.

They didnt (Or did they?) explain how they turned Lapiz Lazuli which I believe is a gemstone into thread ...

It said same technique as the mother of pearl - so ground up, stuck to washi paper then cut into very fine strips.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

William

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 13:26:53 PM »
 :faints:

Amazing!!!
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

WendyW

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 14:18:24 PM »

@Iminei They simply said that it was the same process as for the mother of pearl.

Such an incredible process! Hopefully putting this video out there will draw in some younger artisans to take up the craft.

Sewingsue

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 22:26:32 PM »
I wondered how they use the fabrics. Each of the weavers we saw only worked with one type - gold or lapis lazuli or mother of pearl, but the obis were made of more than one.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.