The Sewing Place

Knitting Dilemma

b15erk

Knitting Dilemma
« on: February 24, 2022, 10:08:44 AM »
Well, my latest project has ended in disaster - at least for now.  I found I only have one ball of yarn left, and two sleeves and a front band left to do.  Don't feel too sorry for me, it's my own fault really.  The pattern calls for the ribs and neck band in a contrast colour - I could have done this, as I have the same yarn in blue, but I thought the cardi would be more useful in one colour - well now it isn't going to be useful at all!  :rolleyes:

The yarn I'm using is a mohair type, very soft, which I bought several years ago from a charity shop.  I bought a bag of pink, and a bag of blue, so I could have done this pattern easily.  The yarn is lovely and soft, but difficult to knit.  However, I have found needles - purely by accident which suit my hands better than the metal I've been using.  These are acrylic, and an odd pair which I think I bought acidentally.  The points haven't dug into my hands like the pointy metal ones (I have an odd knitting style).

So, the choice is, to dig out a UFO - I have a couple (about 5 really), or start something new.  I have a  couple of patterns in mind, but I'll be double checking yarn quantities in advance!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

Re: Knitting Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 11:27:36 AM »
@b15erk What a shame  :(
I love mohair and knitted with it years ago so I know how difficult it can be to unpick (aka practically impossible)
Couldn't you do the sleeves in the blue with pink edge and do blue edge to the front?  Or would that just look silly?
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 12:21:55 PM »
@b15erk could you change the style of the sleeves to use less yarn?  3/4 or short sleeves?  There are a lot of mohairy yarns around, is it worth looking for something that would look good with the blue but not be a contrast?
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 13:44:55 PM »
@b15erk if it's difficult to knit, get a can of silicon spray and spray the whole ball before knitting.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 14:02:47 PM »
@b15erk What a shame  :(
I love mohair and knitted with it years ago so I know how difficult it can be to unpick (aka practically impossible)
Couldn't you do the sleeves in the blue with pink edge and do blue edge to the front?  Or would that just look silly?

I think that is a great idea and don't think it would silly at all.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 14:13:49 PM »
I've had a thought (where's the lightbulb when you need it?)

I have a pack of the blue which is exactly the same yarn, I think I may start again, but this time as per the pattern, but, with a pink band, and ribs, and the main part done in blue - a bit like the pattern picture.

Any thoughts?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 14:19:34 PM »
Could you not knit the neck band and button bands in blue and then pick up and knit cuffs to turn back in blue. Certainly the bottom wouldn’t be blue, but I think it would be usable. I also like the idea of blue contrasting sleeves.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 11:08:26 AM »
As always, a bit thank you for all your help.

I've now made a decision.  I'm not going to unpick what I've already done - it's huge - back and two fronts, and first sleeve started.

What I am going to do, is start again.  I know, foolish woman... but I like the pattern.  This time though, I'm doing it as per the pattern, with different coloured ribs and band.  This should mean I have some yarn left, and I can work out if I have enough left to finish the original in some form, definitely using some of your ideas.

I managed to cast on yesterday, and did 3 rows of rib - so I have a bit of catching up to do.  217 sts is a lot!

Jessie