The Sewing Place

I've Kidnapped the Splurgesses Sister!

Bill

Re: Janome or bernette?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2022, 12:15:48 PM »
I do indeed know the rules @Diane and as you've been here longer than me and should know them better.
So where's the pics of YOUR new toy? Eh? Go on. Where are they? Sheesh. Women!
 :laughing:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Diane

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2022, 12:31:47 PM »
@Bill Your right, i've just searched for the post that had the pictures of my new arrival and it's vanished  :scream: i bet that disappeared when the website was under maintenance/being transferred to the new server or whatever.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ouryve

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2022, 13:14:40 PM »
I'd love to hear how you get on with the atelier. I listed after one when I bought my current machine but decided against it since I don't have a permanent home for it and need to tidy up at the end of the day.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

StitchinTime

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2022, 15:45:58 PM »
@Bill I'm glad it has all worked out for you. I didn't like to think of you being without a machine for too long.

BrendaP

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2022, 16:35:17 PM »
I think you made the right choice.  Ex-demo machines are usually heavily discounted because they have been used, but very lightly and under supervision.  My overlocker was ex-demo and it's been superb - still is.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charley

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2022, 22:07:06 PM »
I treated myself to the Atelier 7 when I retired 6 years ago. There was an extension table and some 'quilting' bits, free with it. I bought it online. I bought it because I wanted a machine that would last, be reliable and trouble free. I did not try one out - nothing locally, -  I relied on reviews, and I did not know much about sewing machines at that time anyway, but I searched online for a few weeks before making my final decision, and I/we have gotten to know each other over the last 6 years. At that time the price was £900, and it was a special offer, so the right time for me.

I have not a days trouble with it. I clean/remove fluff frequently, perhaps once a week, or when I have finished a particularly fluffy project. I look after it, treat it with love and say 'thank you' when I have finished what I am doing.
I have only used about half of the available stitches, but I love the 9mm stitch width. Over the years I have treated myself to a straight stitch plate, a silicone foot and an invisible zip stitch foot. I use Janome purple tip needles for quilting, I use my machine daily, except during family visits, Christmas etc, when I reluctantly put it away.

I do not find the extension table to be of much use really, it is not very 'slidey' for moving things about when sewing, and I would not really miss it if it broke, or went missing.
I love free motion stitching on it, and it will stitch what I ask it to stitch, or what I need it to stitch, P&Q, garment, or felt. I love the foot pedal too, it is a lovely size.

Celia

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2022, 08:53:34 AM »
@charley that is a really lovely review of your machine, maybe it would be good if more of us could write reviews like this, it might help other people.

Can’t wait to see your new baby @Bill

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2022, 09:05:15 AM »
Over the years I have treated myself to a straight stitch plate,

@charley  A straight stitch plate should have come with the machine ... have you looked in the base of the detachable arm ??

£900 was a bargain for the 7 even six years ago and I agree it is a wonderful machine ...

I particularly like the 'Big Foot' foot pedal which stores the cable inside itself ... Brilliant!
and the 'hovering' foot option. If you press a certain button when you stop sewing whether because you've finished completely or are just pivoting a corner the foot automatically lifts up ...

'cos manually raising the presser foot is sooooo last year Dahlink!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 09:08:46 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bill

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2022, 09:08:12 AM »
Thankyou everyone for your thoughts on this. As always, it is much appreciated  :)

@Brenda I'm not worried in the least about its ex demo tag. My way of thinking is that being a demo machine, it'll have been taken care of as the shop can't afford to let a potential customer be put off due to faulty stitching/unreliability/looking like it's been in a cat fight.
The current brother was ex demo too. Other than some quirks which are known amongst other owners, it's been brilliant.

@Celia I'm starting to wonder if I will actually see it. It's due for delivery between 1 and 2pm. By Parcelforce. They'll probably lose it.  :laughing:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 09:15:46 AM by Bill »

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2022, 09:10:04 AM »
Dont be so negative @Bill  :devil: ... if you'd written that at 3pm  ???

Celia

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2022, 09:11:07 AM »
Dont be so negative @Bill  :devil: ... if you'd written that at 3pm  ???

I was about to say the same :laughing:

Bill

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2022, 09:13:59 AM »
Over the years I have treated myself to a straight stitch plate,
and the 'hovering' foot option. If you press a certain button when you stop sewing whether because you've finished completely or are just pivoting a corner the foot automatically lifts up ...

My brother has that function too. The needle stays down too so your piece can't wander off to the chippy etc.

I'm a negative person by nature. So there  :P

StitchinTime

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2022, 09:53:58 AM »
@Bill Thank you for telling us when it is due to arrive - it will stop us all asking "Is it here yet?" (well until 2.01pm at least).

My machine is an ex-demo from a sewing machine shop and my thinking at the time was that if there was anything wrong, it would have been found and fixed. I wouldn't have been as keen on an ex display machine from somewhere like John Lewis or Hobbycraft where anyone could have been trying it unsupervised.

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2022, 10:20:51 AM »
The other thing the 7 has is the Dual Feed foot!

Basically this is Janomes posh alternative to a Walking Foot.
Most WF are  separate units, quite bulky and can be difficult to attach without opening the door over the needle ...

Their DF foot is less bulky but still a separate unit that needs attaching direct to the fixed shank of the machine  There is a lil lever thing (dual feed link) at the rear of the foot that needs inserting into a slot at the reverse of the shank after you have positioned the foot on the shank.

You then need to press a button to engage the DF ....  if the DF link is not engaged within the shank you get lil stitches (whatever stitch length you might have set) and I assume no DF thing going on ...

Its all explained in the manual and I hope Im right in assuming you are going to READ the manual  :devil:

Now the only thing I dont particularly like about this function is that when you press the Dual feed button it greys out a lot of the stitches ... which is why Ive kept my original walking foot which I use a lot when quilting as apart from liking the click click click I can use any stitches I want and I often use decorative stitches in my quilting ...

BUT what you must NEVER EVER do is leave a normal WF on your machine when you turn it off.
If you do, and forget that its on there, the next time you turn your beautiful machine on it will have a major hissy fit and scare the living daylights out of you!!!!!

Basically a normal WF is, as I have previously said, Bigger than the IDT foot and when the Atelier wakes up it does the sewing machine equivalent of Morning stretches and cant complete them because of the size of a normal  walking foot ... And it has a meltdown !!! Sirens, Flashing Lights and nasty messages flashing up on the screen.

BE WARNED! all this is of course Moot if you only use the supplied DF Foot!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »
@Iminei I am not sure if your description of all those bells and whistles warnings is exciting or terrifying  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."