The Sewing Place

Two sewing rooms into one!

Alikat

Two sewing rooms into one!
« on: March 18, 2022, 22:03:35 PM »
I am a keen dressmaker and used to have an alterations business.  However things have been very quiet since the covid years so I have decided to now sew for pleasure.  My lovely mum is 93 and a keen patchworker, but is unfortunately unable to sew any more.  So I have started to sort out her work room and will have to incorporate all her quite considerable stash into my smaller workroom!

This is further complicated as I don't know which direction my sewing will now take so I want to keep everything!
Help! :headbang:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 22:05:07 PM by Alikat »

LeilaMay

Re: Two sewing rooms into one!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 09:20:15 AM »
Not sure what kind of help anyone can give  :)
Only to say you don't HAVE to do or keep anything, only the things you want to keep.

Then it comes down to your choice about what kind of things you want to do.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Leila

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 10:01:14 AM »
I have fabric in large clear plastic tubs (some Ikea, some others).

I had some of these in the loft at the previous house but they are in the garage here - fine for garage storage as the tubs are sealed.

This summer I am going to sort and inventory what's in them and label them up.

So you could source a quantity of these sort of boxes and pack up anything you want out of your space, labelled so you can access it at a later stage.
I'm going to sort mine out by type and swatch the lengths of yardage.

SingingSinger

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 10:02:59 AM »
If it were me, I'd need to keep space in my sewing room rather than too many things. Otherwise I'd get overwhelmed and do no sewing at all! Keep the things which inspire you. :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 11:22:56 AM »
When I try (try being the operative word) I ask myself when did I buy it, why did I buy it, when will I make it and will I wear or use it. If I can answer no to even just one of those questions I get rid of it.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 11:51:24 AM »
@Alikat You need no help as you full well know  :laughing:
My advise is to stroke, think, enjoy and hoard. Pile the stuff up high to the ceiling if need be.  Then after a while you will realise what things you do or don't want a bit at a time  :thumb:
No rush
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Alikat

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 10:19:26 AM »
Thanks, I've taken on board your suggestions.  The real answer came though when my daughter was round - I would pick something up and she would say 'bin!', 'bin!' really quickly and we got through it in no time.  I don't mind getting rid of buttons, old cards, haberdashery etc, but I am loathe to bin anything my mum has worked on.  For example she did a beautiful piece of hardanger embroidery, but had not got round to hemming the edges.  So I feel duty bound to finish it off and then I will put it in the charity shop - well at least someone will use it and her work was not in vain.  You might say keep it, but you won't believe how much she has created, especially patchwork items, over the years!

I'd be interested to hear how others cope when sorting out a loved ones work rooms!!

SingingSinger

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 09:21:13 AM »

I'd be interested to hear how others cope when sorting out a loved ones work rooms!!

I found the things my Mum had started but not finished the most difficult and poignant. Eventually I got round to the view that if it were my stuff and my children were clearing out my sewing room, then I'd be ok for them to bin things. Having said that, it's taken me well over 10 years since my mum died to reach this opinion!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)