The Sewing Place

Organising fabric. Help needed

Celia

Organising fabric. Help needed
« on: March 25, 2022, 09:33:19 AM »
I am trying to organise my fabrics better, I did sort them recently but have decide they need more order.

As i have pruned my wardrobe a lot recently I was wondering if I could store some of the fabric hanging, as there is a limit to the length the fabric would have to be folded is the a good idea? Some of these pieces are big and quite heavy. There is a possibility I could get rid of one wardrobe and replace with something more suitable if I knew what?

I really would like to keep all of the dressmaking fabrics together, what do other people do?

When I was sorting them I did try to think wether I would actually like to wear then if a magic fairly arrived in the night and sewed them all up, its amazing how many fabrics go put on the go pile.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this if not could someone help
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:36:08 AM by Celia »

Iminei

Re: Organising fabric. Help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »
Certainly is the right place @Celia  ... and when you find the answer please tell me.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ann

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 09:55:54 AM »
@Celia, I'm no help. I'm trying to sew my stash down to nothing. I have mine folded on a shelving unit which I'm not sure is the best way to store fabric long term. It is all covered with black out curtain fabric to keep the light off it. I have seen people hang fabric on hangers in closets and have heard nothing negative about it. If you use wooden hangers make sure you put something on them so the fabric isn't exposed to the wood/stain/finish. You might get transfer onto the fabric. Heavy fabric folded on a shelf is better as there would be less strain on the fiber.

There are some days I would love to have a magic sewing fairy come in and sew up all the fabric for me. Even to leave ideas and patterns would be nice. Right now, I pick a pattern and a fabric and sew.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 09:56:14 AM »
Until recently I had quite a lot of my fabric stored by hanging it on a rail using hangers with clips - ones designed for skirts.  Some of it was quite heavy, and it was fine - I folded it to slightly wider than the hanger and kept the length as long as it could be in the space.  The only reason I changed (to folded on shelves) was a matter of the best use of space in my sewing room
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 10:11:27 AM »
There's no reason why you can't store fabric hanging in a wardrobe although it might not be the optimum use of space.  Wardrobes are usually sized to accommodate regular hangers with an inch or so extra to allow for the thickness of a thick jacket but those hangers are no good for fabric unless thay have a trouser bar. 

I've just measured my wardrobe; 21 inches deep and the biggest regular hangers are 17" wide.  The widest bar type trouser hangers are only 14 inches wide as are the hangers with spring clips.  The clip type hangers could be used with the fabric folded to extend a couple of inches beyond the clips but would the springs be strong enough for a length of heavy fabric?

Also the thickness of the hanger itself has to be accounted for.  You will definitely get less hung in a wardrobe than folded into piles on shelves in a space the same size.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

twopence

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 10:29:26 AM »
I have wardrobes that when OH put them back together we made all shelving except for I small hanging space above some drawers. In this hanging space I have some quilting fabrics that has been prepared to use on clip hangers. I’m separating the dressmaking and quilting fabrics on the shelves and as the wardrobes are quite deep I’m able to get lodges plastic boxes at the back with stacked fabric in front of them. The boxes are clear so I’ve put a list of contents in too that can be read without pulling the box out. When I have more time I might go back and put the yardage on.

I did find a length of camel hair coat fabric that I have no recollection of buying and can’t think who it would have come from.

I also found yards of curtain fabric in a pattern that I’d never have bought so I’m wondering if that was supposed to be curtains for my mother but can’t think for where.

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 11:14:01 AM »
Heavier fabric goes best on drapery hangers due to weight, and my wardrobe wouldn't hold a hanger that size.  But yes, you can hang fabric.

My own is folded onto comic book boards and stored in plastic bins.  I have swatch cards with the location, type, length...and a swatch that I can "shop" without the need to go through all the fabric proper.  I also sometimes grab a bin and just work from that, sort of a surprise capsule as it were.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 11:29:10 AM »
Thx k you everyone especially @BrendaP for measuring your hanger’s etc. I am thinking it may not be the best idea.

It would be good if I could add shelves but the wardrobes are very old and I don’t think they would take it. I think I might just pile them in for now and think about getting rid of the wardrobe and replacing it with something more useful but what ?  I am not good at flat pack so unless it’s very simple it will need to be pre made. It is in my bedroom and the first bit of the room you see as you walk in so needs look ok.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 12:22:06 PM »
Mine is folded in drawers.  Not too happy with that either as I generally have to iron it before using. 
I do have some silk that is rolled on an old fabric roll.  But that gets in the way. 

Great detail @BrendaP id never have thought of all that.  :thumb:

Celia

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 13:27:10 PM »
Have just seen these in Ikea has anyone seen them or what do you think
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemmafixare-storage-case-fabric-striped-white-grey-90503916/

To go in the wardrobe

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 13:36:45 PM »
I have similar undery bed, @Celia  They're roomy and quite robust. (excuse unvacuumed floor!)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 13:49:41 PM »
I have some of the cheaper older Ikea ones on top of the wardrobe but they won’t fit inside, I also think I like the side opening although if you have them piled up the weight would stop you accessing fabric. 

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 14:27:27 PM »
I have hanging shoe storage for fabric (and a few shoes) in a wardrobe in my sewing room.
Something similar to this.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stuk-storage-with-7-compartments-white-grey-70370856/

Saves converting it to shelves.

There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 14:39:39 PM »
Good idea @Goth Gardiner

Celia

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 20:16:08 PM »
@Goth Gardiner that looks good