The Sewing Place

Printing problem

b15erk

Printing problem
« on: March 29, 2022, 09:10:10 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this - Mods, feel free to move.

I've just bought 2 Stylearc pdf patterns, and I'm tearing my hair out trying to print at the correct scale.  My test square should measure 10cms, but mine is measuring over 12cms!

I have a Brother printer and all the updates are up to date.  Stylearc say to print to actual size, but that is not one of my options...

Anyone else had this problem?  Ready to scream - or throw the printer through the window!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

Re: Printing problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 09:23:07 AM »
When I press Print on my lappy I get options which includes layout, portrait, landscape, pages and

Scale which on this lappy is set to default but when I hit the drop down box I have a choice of a percentage ... choose 100%

Im sure you've already tried this but just saying
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:26:06 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 09:29:37 AM »
Tried that @Iminei , but thanks for the suggestion.

Stylearc tell you to use the setting for Actual size, but I haven't got that option.  Just printed again at 100% and still over 12cms..

:rant:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 09:36:34 AM »
Scale it down then 12cms is 20% (I think ... @BrendaP ) bigger than you want so scale 80% ?

Worth a pop or take it to a printing shop ?

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 09:38:54 AM »
Thanks @Iminei , I think the print shop may be the way to go - to save my sanity!

I used to have far more printing options than I do lately - I blame all the updates!  :rolleyes:

Jessie

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
Have you tried opening the pdfs in a different app to print? I'm not a fan of Microsoft Edge but it behaves better than Firefox for printing some things.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »
You are clicking on Advanced or More options arent you Bodge ???

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 09:42:05 AM »
@b15erk are you looking at the computer screen. It could be a setting on the printer itself.
Willing but not always able :)

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
Does your printer have a 'custom size' option @b15erk? On mine the custom size shows 100% but you can alter it. I'm assuming that 100% should be 'actual size' (which is an option on my HP).

I open my download in Acrobat reader and select 'print' and get the 'actual size' option.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
Nothing on the printer screen to help @Lilian - well, not that I can make out! @Iminei , I've been into all the settings - even Advanced, but nothing works...

Microsoft Edge browser has worked :facepalm: - who knew they behaved differently?!?  I tend to use Firefox, but ME did the job!  It does have an Actual Size setting! :dance:  Thank you @Ouryve !!

I can now print my patterns!! :perfect10: :dance: :dance:

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 10:12:03 AM »
@Helen M , I didn't know I had different options, but I will remember the Acrobat option too - thank you!

Must brush up on my Printer skills!

Jessie

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 10:17:44 AM »
If you try to print a pdf via a web browser you don't get all the printer settings and options available that you do if you open the file with Adobe Acrobat - so always open them in Acrobat!

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 10:37:18 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  , thank you for that helpful advice!  I thought the printer settings for my printer would automatically come up when I tried to print.  :thinking:

I will remember all these options - you do need them when printing patterns...

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 20:31:36 PM »
I've only just come into this - I agree with @Bodgeitandscarper  I never very seldom print from a web browser - they are all different.

If your pattern is a .pdf file you should open it using Adobe Acrobat reader (free)
https://www.adobe.com/uk/acrobat/pdf-reader.html
and print from there. 

Each printer set up is different too but somewhere in the pop up window you get when you press print should be an option to scale or to keep to full size.  Make sure it's set at 100%, not 'fit to page' or anything else.

@Iminei  without knowing exactly how big Jessie's test square printed it's not possible to calculate the percentage change, but if she didn't have a scaling option that's irrelevant.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.