The Sewing Place

Pattern to sew Men's jeans (not going ahead)

SewRuthieSews

Pattern to sew Men's jeans (not going ahead)
« on: May 31, 2022, 20:23:02 PM »
OH tried on some stretch jeans today and liked them, but the fit wasn't great and he didn't buy them.
I am wondering if there is a good pattern out there for men's jeans that you can recommend?
He needs a 36" waist, short leg (29"), with classic front zip, pockets etc and liked the feel of the stretch denim he tried.
At least if I'm making them we can have multiple goes until we get the fit right. Though everything I've learned about fitting trousers is best on my very different shape
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 16:15:29 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Ouryve

Re: Pattern to sew Men's jeans
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 22:21:27 PM »
Not tried it but the thread theory pattern looks good. They do mostly menswear, which is refreshing.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 10:15:22 AM »
@SewRuthieSews , we went to Costco yesterday, and OH (who measures the same as your OH), bought yet another pair of trousers.  I have a pile of brand new trousers to send to the charity shop...

I didn't hold out much hope, but when we got home and he tried them, they fitted perfectly (apart from the length).  I always have to take trousers up, so that isn't a biggy.

We'll be going back there for a couple more pairs now that we know they fit well. OH is very picky, but these trousers are lovely and stretchy, and less jeans like than usual, although still casual.

Life for me, is far too short to make jeans for a man who is happy with a £10 pair of trousers!  :laughing:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 12:02:27 PM »
yeah no Costco near here.

THREAD THEORY MEN’S FULFORD JEANS is £19.00 for a paper copy!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »
What!  :scream:

£19.99... :faints:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 14:02:21 PM »
@SewRuthieSews My men's jeans pattern is a very old Kwik sew one (3504?). It's a very basic jean that I was able to use for Gareth as it goes from S - XXL
I've only found one for sale at for £11.71.
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 15:56:51 PM »
yeah no Costco near here.

THREAD THEORY MEN’S FULFORD JEANS is £19.00 for a paper copy!

They're steep, aren't they? And at that price point. I've had patterns that are worth every penny and others only fit for envelope padding.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 16:24:50 PM »
I think I'll pause on this for now, but if we find some ready made jeans when we are out and about get OH to try them on.

Ros

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 12:59:36 PM »
The Ottobre family mags that they did I think 3 editions of had some mens patterns in. 7/17 has jeans. I ordered a back issue copy off their website and it was delivered quickly. Have only made the boxers though. 

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 16:14:05 PM »
Thread theory's is less a jean and more a denim slack with jean details.

My dad wanted Levis from the 1930s-1940s before he got really sick (about 10 years ago now) and I studied, drafted and worked out the pattern...before Levi's made the vintage ones easier to find.  I wound up having to draft my own pattern because I couldn't find a jean pattern out there that was close to what my dad wanted...the 1937 Levi was close, but not what he wanted and the 1944 was too slim and low on his hips (and my dad wore a 28x30...not exactly a heavy guy and no hip or butt to talk of, but slim cut was too uncomfortable so figure that out).

Jeans are a pain in the neck to construct correctly without the right machines, just so you know.  There is a lot of machines that make the process just much easier, although you can do it without it, but they are super labor intensive to make without the flat fell and chainstitch machine (or a twin needle)...as well as the weight of the denim needs to be taken into account for construction.

I make my own form of "designer" jeans and I don't have some of the machines and after 10 years it still takes me almost 20 hours to construct a vintage style selvedge edge denim jean.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Pattern to sew Men's jeans (not going ahead)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 16:16:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, OH said he doesn't want me to go to the effort of making him jeans and I'm happy to agree with him!