The Sewing Place

Fly Front Zipper

b15erk

Fly Front Zipper
« on: June 09, 2022, 12:51:35 PM »
I'm having a purge on the UFO pile today, and started to put the waistband on a pair of trousers, when I realised that I'd put the zipper in really badly. 

It's ages since I did a FFZipper, and I can't remember which method I used.  I've looked at a few videos, and my Readers Digest books, and there are so many different methods.

Is there any one failsafe method for a FFZipper installation?  Or is it just trial and error?

I may yet save the trousers!  ;) (or just put them back in the pile!)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

Re: Fly Front Zipper
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 16:31:39 PM »
Only done it once and never again if I can help it @b15erk .  I just followed how to do it  from when taking apart.  I covered myself by telling him that a zip was put in by the manufacturers before the trousers were constructed.  It actually turned out alright although the trousers were what he wears gardening  (they were lightweight and he really liked them) and weren't worth the effort really.  He also wanted new side pockets because they were wearing thin.

I did look at a few videos although their MO was to rip everything apart with this lethal weapon that looked like a  substantial razer blade (all men).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 17:20:47 PM »
I covered myself by telling him that a zip was put in by the manufacturers before the trousers were constructed.

That's correct, the zip is usually the first thing you do when making jeans/trousers and is why it's so difficult to replace one neatly.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 19:20:17 PM »
I've unpicked the beastly thing now - I have an idea that the technique was the one that Threads have a tutorial on, where the fly facing and zip cover are attached, you sew the seam first and then flip the zipper about.

Anyway, I wasn't happy with it, have now unpicked it, and need to unpick a second time (forgot to edge finish the zip cover).  By the time I'm done, I will know how to do a fly front zipper off by heart!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 22:43:48 PM »
How about his method @b15erk ?  It’s my go to one by Sandra Bettina
https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2008/11/04/video-easy-to-sew-flat-fly-front-zipper?_gl=1*s5r40v*_up*MQ..

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 09:01:56 AM »
@Ohsewsimple , thank you for reminding me about that video, I'd forgotten it - it will now go in the book!

I've no idea how I put this particular zip in - it is wrong on so many levels!  I ended up ripping it out - I'd have done better to unpick the whole project! It was a pain to work with a neaarly finished pair of trousers! I don't know how @Sandra does it - her fingers must be sore!

Anyway, it's done.  Not the prettiest, but it looks OK on the outside.  The truth is, with all the handling, these trousers seem to have shrunk... :rolleyes: , and I may have to lose a few pounds before they fit me... ;)

Today I'll be putting the waistband on, then they will be consigned to the darker reaches of the wardrobe - or better still put in a bag, never to be seen again!  :laughing:

They have been a good learning project!

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 12:04:41 PM »
@,The truth is, with all the handling, these trousers seem to have shrunk... :rolleyes: , and I may have to lose a few pounds before they fit me... ;)

Jessie

I don’t think fabric is behaving like it used to @b15erk.  There seems to be a lot of this shrinking going on…..and that’s without getting near any water! :laughing:

Adey1981

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 15:43:00 PM »
@Ohsewsimple
I've given up wearing jumpers because they shrink while I'm wearing them  :thinking: