The Sewing Place

Aged Bear in need of TLC

Ploshkin

Aged Bear in need of TLC
« on: July 09, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »
This is my teddy who I have had since birth I presume.  So he is 68 years old.  He has never had a name, I can't remember him ever having fur (he does have some fur on his back still) and I can't remember him ever growling.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I don't want to do a 'Repair Shop' restoration but I would like to be able to prevent further deterioration.  He is actually in remarkably good condition for his age.  What would you do if he was yours?
His head is very wobbly but not in danger of falling off.  If I lift his head about 8mm of the pin is visible.  I'm not sure whether to leave it or try and do something about it.  His right eye is very loose but I think that's easily fixable with a suitable long needle.  I can recreate his nose and mouth.

His paws are the main problem.  The front paw repairs I recall doing when I was about 12.  I used felt and 'wrapped' the ends because of damage.  The repair is quite neat, the felt is in very good condition and it's also part of his history so I don't feel inclined to change that.
His leather foot pads are very sound, they could probably do with a rub of leather restorer but the fabric above them is disintegrating on both feet.  There is a similar patch next to his nose.

I just want to stabilise it so that it doesn't deteriorate further.  Alternatively I could darn it but I think there is too much to cover.  I tried googling to see if there is some sort of transparent mesh I could use or some sort of stabiliser for vintage fabrics but just kept coming up with how to clean vintage fabric, and stabilisers for embroidery.
Does anyone know of anything suitable for the job or have any other suggestions of what I could do?
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Aged Bear in need of TLC
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 10:42:13 AM »
Would bear like some little boots to protect his feet?

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »
Hes gorgeous! and Boots seem like a good idea but I think his days of thigh high patent leather are behind him  :laughing:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 10:56:42 AM »
I was also thinking socks and mittens.

sewminds

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 11:32:16 AM »
How about a Lycra body suit or for starters, some pantyhose?
Sew it needs juice!