The Sewing Place

Entry level Bernina or mid-range Janome etc?

jen1r

Entry level Bernina or mid-range Janome etc?
« on: July 19, 2022, 18:25:14 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm starting to research sewing machines for my daughter's 21st present from family members- she is a keen sewist making/altering mainly clothes & accessories etc (embroidery & quilting are not an interest) - the budget is roughly around £700 - it can of course be less, but we'd like to get her something that will hopefully last a long time. So, I can look at entry level Bernina/Pfaff etc, or, I can look at a more mid-range machine by Janome or other brand.  I have a Bernina 1260 from the 1990s and I know things have moved on in many ways since, (Bernina may not be so reliable, Janome etc are newer players in the market etc).  She is used to the Bernina as that's what she's mainly sewn with to date.  Without doubt we/I will try out machines, I know what my heart says about which approach to take, & so your opinions are welcome to give any other views on this.  Thanks!

So Chic

Re: Entry level Bernina or mid-range Janome etc?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 19:56:45 PM »
All I would say is if possible visit a dealer so that you can look at as many machines as possible.  If you go down the on-line route Sewing Machine World in Kings Lynn or SMD in North Wales come highly recommended and are very helpful.  There are a couple of sewing shows coming up in the next few months at Ally Pally and Harrogate and they very often have good deals on machines. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 20:08:50 PM »
Sorry if this will ruin the surprise but if you can, take your daughter to try the machines. Its a very personal choice ..
Im a Janome girl through and through but have had a Pfaff ... excellent quality stitches but I just didnt like it ... Go figure!

I dont know where you are but look for a dealer that has a few different brands to try out, localish to you, within I would say 25 - 40 miles would be good. It will pay you benefits to have a personal dialogue with  a dealer in case issues arise.

£700 is a very decent sum of money ... Does the machine have to be brand spanky new to her? You can get a lot of bang for your buck with an ex demonstrator from a good dealer .. it will have been serviced and come with a warranty too.

Im assuming here that your daughter already enjoys sewing and is not a complete beginner .. if that is the case then maybe another option is to buy a decent entryish level machine which, if its a good brand and its looked after she will be able to upgrade, selling the old to part fund the new ... thats how I got to the dizzying heights of The Splurgess, an Atelier 7 which is, my dream machine!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 22:31:22 PM »
I would definitely advise you to take your daughter with you as she is the one that will be using it. 
What you like may not be what she likes.  As @Iminei said, it’s a very personal thing. 

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 23:50:52 PM »
I made that choice at that price point and went for the janome. I would have gone for the m100 qdc but availability was poor, at the time. Not met much that my m50qdc can't handle, though. (it has the q accessories but, with the harp space it's only ever going to manage small quilting projects but the walking foot and extended table that come with it have seen a lot of use)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

realale

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 07:34:55 AM »
I second the suggestion to try before you buy.
A friend recently asked me a similar question for her daughter, she was contemplating buying one from Argos  :scream:. I advised her to go to a sewing machine shop to try and she realised Frank Knutt was very close and went there. Her daughter was extremely pleased with her purchase (a Janome incidentally  :P) and got a better price than from Argos. She also got follow up deals I believe.
As stated, preference plays a large part in the enjoyment of using a sewing machine,  I've never liked Berninas..... ( ducks and runs for cover after such a blasphemous admission!!!)
Hope you get what you are looking for.
So many beers, so little time.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 10:10:36 AM »
Yes I agree with everyone else, I have used or owned lots of different makes of machine and I can honestly say that it is down to the model as well as the make.  I have used Berninas I have loved and also ones I have hated. I can say the same for Janome so I am no real help.  Sorry.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 10:28:35 AM »
I second what everyone else says about trying first.  Just as you can't judge a book by its cover you can't judge a machine by its blurb and reviews.  What one person likes another won't and then there is always the occasional rogue "Friday afternoon" model which should be good but isn't.

I also agree with Iminie about ex-demo models which have been in the shop for a while, threaded up and used for a few few minutes at most and then thoroughly checked and given a warranty by the shop.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 10:51:23 AM »
Just be careful with ex demos, most shops are great but I know of at least 2 shops where the machines are regularly used for classes and can be quite old before they sell them off. If you can see them and try them it’s ok but if buying blind especially from a dealer I didn’t know I  would think twice about an ex demo.

KayK

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
The entry level Bernina's are now over the £700 price bracket - blast!  (I understand they have had a price hike recently)
Being a bit of a sewing machine tart, I have had a lot of the things over the years, and would recommend what everyone else has been saying - go to a proper shop and have a go. I know it spoils the element of surprise, but I have learned (the hard way) what I like/need and what I don't like!  Bernina's are good, but not necessarily as well made as they used to be.  The feet are superior to others, but a superior price as well!  The 3 series Bernina's are good, but are quite small (almost 3/4 size).  They do have a different (and better, but that is only my opinion) bobbin system - they have a metal bobbin case and metal bobbins, other machines are plastic, but again it's personal choice. 

I had a Janome memory craft about 15 years ago, which I loved, and sold to fund a horse rescue.  I bought a Janome over a year ago and hated it, it was not as good as the other one and more than twice the price.....so......who knows1

Best of luck!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 13:27:17 PM »
I’m another one who doesn’t like Berninas @realale
They’re not very user friendly.

jen1r

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 14:04:27 PM »
Thank you all for the input and advice, very useful, I will definitely take her to try out machines, will have to work round the surprise element, that's not a problem.  World of Sewing Bromley/Tunbridge Wells is near me so we can go there and have a try out and see what models she actually likes using.  I guess I'd been wondering whether certain brands were going to have better longevity etc than others, but it seems it depends very much on the model rather than the brand. 

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 17:46:18 PM »
Doesn't matter who you talk to @jen1r  their sewing machine will be the best, because it suits them.  Have a laugh at this.

In 1992 I bought a  Janome Memory Craft  after going into the shop for a reel of thread - lovely machine but then the bobbin winder got iffy, coinciding with joining this forum in 2008 (in its previous name), that I swapped, I was recommended a Pfaff, the Select 2,  very sturdy machine, still are, but I'd got used to a computer machine so bought the Pfaff Expression six months later (a real love affair, even though I only used about 11 stitches).  In between that came a Janome, bought on a whim but not kept long, a Bernina 215, I thought I would keep that forever, only around 11 stitches but all perfect, but a really clanky walking foot and the Expression's was built in.  I sold the Pfaff Select 2 then realised  how solid it was, (a mechanical machine) and got it back via a Pfaff Select 4 with IDT.  Then saw a Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter at a good price and only one stitch (I only do pretend quilting) still got that because of its muscle.

Finally since I was starting to get old and itchy (2021), I sold the Expression, the Select 4 and the Bernina (barely lost any money considering how long I'd had them all, and bought a brand spanking new Expression 719 (lovely livery) together with a Pfaff Passport 3, lightweight for shifting up and downstairs.

What is so funny is that other than the original Janome Memory Craft I bought them all on line without even trying and I didn't even try the Memory Craft, I just watched the sales lady.

It's certainly a minefield with all the machines available, but once you know what you want to use it for, and what features are essential, then it becomes a lot easier although looks come into it as well.

Don't waste time though, there are price rises waiting in the wings on them all and once current stock has left the store room you will be hit.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 17:49:57 PM »
I've never test driven a car or a sewing machine...haven't got the self confidence.
Mind you, I would never buy online.
It's your choice
Triumph of hope over experience :D

So Chic

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 18:45:20 PM »
@jen1r   I’ve had machines serviced at World of Sewing in Tunbridge Wells as well buying various bits and pieces over the past 20 years and have always been happy with the service.   My Bernina is an ex-demo and I’ve never had any problems.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up