The Sewing Place

My scrappy D9P

Vezelay

My scrappy D9P
« on: August 21, 2022, 07:52:51 AM »
See, I'm learning the language already :). For my disappearing 9-patch double quilt I calculate that I will need 25 x 9-patches, plus a 6-8 inch border. So 225 x 5" squares.

In the photo are 3 rows of squares:
Top row: FQ size, so 12+ of each
Middle row: 4-8 of each (plus 6 of another navy fabric)
Bottom row: singles

Done 184 so far, and propose to cut most of the rest from the lighter fabrics at the very back of the photo to give a better colour balance of lights and darks. There's plenty of the two lightest fabrics - white striped table cloth and v v pale (washed out) blue duvet cover.

I could use a dark, or a pale, square in the centre of each patch to give the eye some kind of a repeat pattern - or maybe not, leave it more random. What would you do? I'm after a sort of Boho chic look if that makes any sense at all.

I'd appreciate any Darksider thoughts and comments on my balance of lights/darks. Or my calculations/plan. All fabric pictured is ancient stash I want to use up (so I can purchase more :devil:) Should I buy more FQ's and dispense with the border entirely? I need to decide these things before I start the assembly.

Thanks!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Renegade Sewist

Re: My scrappy D9P
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 08:30:13 AM »
@Vezelay I like your fabric. I've done numerous D9P. Love it, easy enough to cut and assemble. Remember you're going to be cutting the 9P into quarters. You end up with 3 different sized patches which will dramatically change how things look. What I learned, or figured out on my own, as I winged everything about it is a formula is useful. You might even want to take some other scraps, any size, cut squares, all the same size and sew up a couple of test blocks then cut them down the middle, across the middle without moving anything. It makes it easier. Or really I test stuff with construction paper.

So ignoring seam allowances for now, after you cut you have four full 5" squares, the  same number of 2 ½" squares and eight 2 ½ x 5 rectangles.

I like to use a similar value or intensity of color in the same position. When arranging the 9P I always put something that will pop in the center position as that will be the smallest squares. Sometimes something that contrasts. Then the four outside corners I use something I want to have dominate as those remain whole. The other 4 squares, sort of in a plus sign arrangement are filler to me as those are going to be cut in half into rectangles and scattered everywhere.

So, you can just randomly put together nine squares or use some consistent repetition, like always the same fabric for the middle squares, always lights in the corner and darks for the others.

With your fabrics I'd be inclined to use the darkest one for the center, then darks for the corners which stay whole and lights for the ones that get cut into rectangles. If it were actually me  :devil: I'd get a small tone on tone print in red or yellow to use for the center and have little pops of bright color scattered about. I'm that way.

Let me give you an example. I had yard or two of a lovely bold floral print, off white background and some reddish orange cabbage roses dominating the other flowers and leaves. It screams springtime. I used that for the outside corners which stayed whole. I found a tiny print the same reddish orange color as the roses for the center squares which get cut up. So that was my color pop. For the other squares I used multiple green fabrics that either had leaves on them or had the right feel for leaves in greens that didn't clash with the leaves in the floral print. Those were the ones that became rectangles. It was very effective.

Lots of words but I wanted you to be able to visualize.

Your fabrics are fine.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 08:34:33 AM »
Oh, I personally prefer D9P without borders.

ETA, my calculations say you're on track for 65" x 65" square. You can shift that to approximately a 59" x 71" rectangle which is close to the 53"/54" x 75" "standard" size listed for UK/US full size quilts. You're definitely on track.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 08:44:08 AM by Renegade Sewist »

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 12:04:05 PM »
I cant quite remember whether Ive pointed you toward this Tutorial   @Vezelay  but here you go, again ...

Click on the first pic to bring it up and then on the i icon to view the destructions to the right of the pictures
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 12:11:56 PM »
@Renegade Sewist thanks - lots of useful advice and info there. I'm leaning towards no border now.

Calculation-wise if I want an overhang I was thinking more 75 x 80. That's an odd number for patches but 78 x 78 could work. Would that fit under my standard Janome DXL603 for quilting? Hmmm. I have an extension table at least.

If so I need 100 more squares - plenty on Amazon which is my go to now for convenience, speed and price as I have Prime.

If not I'll have to rethink my sizing. I'll do some paper mock ups while deciding - great idea.

Has anyone tried to quilt a double on a standard machine? I watched a YT video on this, smaller, didn't look easy!

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 12:22:55 PM »
@Renegade Sewist thanks - lots of useful advice and info there. I'm leaning towards no border now.

Calculation-wise if I want an overhang I was thinking more 75 x 80. That's an odd number for patches but 78 x 78 could work. Would that fit under my standard Janome DXL603 for quilting? Hmmm. I have an extension table at least.

If so I need 100 more squares - plenty on Amazon which is my go to now for convenience, speed and price as I have Prime.

If not I'll have to rethink my sizing. I'll do some paper mock ups while deciding - great idea.

Has anyone tried to quilt a double on a standard machine? I watched a YT video on this, smaller, didn't look easy!

I quilt double quilts on a straight stitch vintage machine; I've even done it on a hand crank  :)  Depends how fancy you wanted your quilting I guess  :)

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 12:38:08 PM »
@Iminei you did indeed - it's most helpful. Looking again at your end results I think borderless is the way to go😊

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 12:56:28 PM »
I never cut my fabric beforehand, I cut as I go as it's less overwhelming .
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 13:21:11 PM »

What @Lowena said is very true. On D9P I invented my own pattern and instructions so I could strip piece the blocks. I also use my biggest ruler, slap it on top of the fabric and use it like a template to cut the strips. Easy, peasy and quick.

The very first D9P I ever saw was at quilt night at the local quilt shop. The gal was using a layer cake, 10 inch precut squares. I was intrigued. It was effective and really fast. She only made 4 or 5 of the 9P blocks to have enough for the throw she made. I keep thinking some big squares of bold graphic fabric might be fun.

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 13:55:34 PM »

I get that - @Iminei said something similar in my previous thread. But...I have at least 27 different fabrics, 35 if I buy more, so it's easier to cut the lot first, see exactly what I've got. And I don't feel overwhelmed (yet), just impatient to jump in! If I make another quilt using chosen bought fabric I will definitely take your advice on board.

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 14:04:52 PM »
I quilt double quilts on a straight stitch vintage machine; I've even done it on a hand crank  :)  Depends how fancy you wanted your quilting I guess  :)

@LeilaMay can I ask what size your double quilts are? No decision made yet on quilting design but not too fancy. I fmq'd my cot quilt but that was cot quilt size!

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 14:28:41 PM »
The largest so far was a quilt 6 foot by 6 foot 6 inches (husband with extra long legs  :) )

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 14:31:58 PM »
I'm quilting a D9P and I've got the same machine as you, @Vezelay .  I go and measure it!

87" x 67".  I'm machine quilting it in diagonal lines.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 14:35:00 PM by Pearl »

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 14:51:04 PM »
Great to know, thanks both. I'll get on then and buy more fq's/charms.

Another quick question to help my calculations - if I want to make a size that's not exactly divisible by 13 (eg 75 x 80 approx) but don't want a border, how would you manage that?

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 14:55:07 PM »
I was going to say that diagonals or chevrons are good for bigger quilts.  You don't seem to have as much bulk to stuff through the machine and its often possible to stitch by eye using the piecing as a guide.
Life's too short for ironing.