The Sewing Place

Underline or line?

DementedFairy

Underline or line?
« on: August 23, 2022, 17:26:30 PM »
She's back!
The eyesight has settled down pretty well, at least for near-to-mid distances, so I finally cleared up 2 years' worth of dumping and disaster in the sewing room, and got myself in order.
I've started slowly, doing some alterations to the wife's shirts that have been lying there pinned to shape for AGES, and a little hand sewing to repair my 'Anne Lister' pelisse from two years back [one or two of the  sleeve trim bows had fallen off]
All is good.
So then I made a set of throw cushions for the lovely outdoor seating area the missus made, and trimmed them with oddments of black lace and ribbon from stash.
I hemmed some lengths of diaphanous poly lining to use as curtains/sails on said seating area if required...and then got PROPERLY back into mojo-land!
My favourite niece is getting wed in a couple of weeks, and although I was not back in sewing land early enough to make the bridesmaids' dresses as hoped, I AM OK to make myself a new dress.  Yay!

So I went searching online, knowing I wanted something silk and floaty, but that time constraints require it to be dead simple.  And green.  Because.
The first fabric turned out to be a bloody poly fake, sold as silk, so I'm fighting to get money back from that...and off I hunted again.

I indulged in this gorgeous shot silk georgette from cheap fabrics online   It's floaty and diaphanous, and even nicer than it looks in the pic.  It also[joy of joys] tones with the glam hat I bought for DD's wedding [and it never got worn, long story]

Knowing it would be very lightweight I also bought yardage of some ivory silk habotai.

I've plumped for my favourite go to simple dress, Vogue 1410, by Lynn Mizono.  I have about 5 of these, and wear them to death.

It's all cut out and ready to go BUT

Shall I flatline the two fabrics together and treat as one, or make up the habotai separately, join at neck and armhole only, and leave the hem loose?

I'm debating adding a small flutter/cap sleeve, just to change it up a bit.

Opinions please?-  I'll be sewing this up tomorrow, so don't think for too long!

Acorn

Re: Underline or line?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 17:29:28 PM »
 :dance:  :VV:  :dance:

Glad to see you're easing yourself back in gently!!   :laughing:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 17:35:02 PM »
Lovely to have you back DF!

I'm a big fan of lining as I like the way two fabrics move together/ against one another.

I do see why you would want it underlined though...

Decisions,decisions... :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kad

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 18:24:47 PM »
@DementedFairy
Do you wear the dress 'bunched up' or full length? It might be difficult to achieve a tidy look when 'bunched up' if you line the dress rather than underline it
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 18:30:48 PM »
I wear it full length- the other versions I tried with the first two dresses I made, they don't suit me [I'm too short]
C'est moi!

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 19:55:38 PM »
I would flat line a dress like that.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 20:02:12 PM »
Ooh, hello!  Nice to see you back, and good to hear your eyesight is better.

I'd flat line that style otherwise I think a loose lining would end up bunched up in the wrong places.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 20:03:59 PM »
Firstly, lovely to see you're back!
Great looking dress. I'd underline it for speed. I think a separate lining would cause problems in the folded areas. However, you're more expert than me .....
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 22:06:31 PM »
Would underlining it make it less floaty and stick out more?   I’d do a test to see.  If liningmit I wouldn’t make it the same shape but a simple straight/A line style and join at neck and armholes. 

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 22:08:51 PM »
You were debating adding a cap sleeve and I think that would work lovely.

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 08:41:47 AM »
@DementedFairy   good to see you back and that all is going well at home.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
whoo hooo, so glad to see you back  :VV:. Hoping everything stays settled down and it's not left you in too much discomfort  :thumb:.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »
Welcome back!  Glad your eyes are better too.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 12:52:09 PM »
Yay @DementedFairy lovely to see you back.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 13:03:55 PM »
Welcome back! :VV:

I'm not sure that flat lining would work with those drapes.  Would it work if you flat-lined the bodice and made a loose lining for the skirt but just gathered at the waist and not shaped and draped as the top payer will be?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.