The Sewing Place

Underline or line?

DementedFairy

Re: Underline or line?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 13:21:51 PM »

I'm not sure that flat lining would work with those drapes.  Would it work if you flat-lined the bodice and made a loose lining for the skirt but just gathered at the waist and not shaped and draped as the top payer will be?
[/quote]

There isn't really a waist- those ties go through a couple of pleated sections with a buttonhole, the dress itself is just two pieces, front and back.  I'm currently deciding between cap or smallish flutter sleeves...and looking for a simple free pattern or drafting instructions lol cba doing anything more complicated!
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2022, 14:12:01 PM »
Loose line the bodice and then extend it as A-line down to the hemline.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2022, 14:48:53 PM »
Great to see you back. :VV:
As for the lining I'm not sure what I'd do :thinking:
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sewingsue

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2022, 15:02:11 PM »
Great to have you back and to hear that the eyesight is sorted

:dance: :toast: :dance:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2022, 09:59:56 AM »
Ooh! Welcome back @DementedFairy . Good news about the eyesight. Not sure about the lining but I think cap sleeves would look better than flutter. Hope you'll be staying!

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2022, 11:05:36 AM »
Ooh! Welcome back @DementedFairy . Good news about the eyesight. Not sure about the lining but I think cap sleeves would look better than flutter. Hope you'll be staying!

Thanks!

I actually found an old pattern with a sort of not-cap but not-flutter slightly drapey sleeve so I went with that...but I'm not 100% sure so I'll baste them in and try on before committing.  There's JUST enough fabric left to go with several options, so it's wait and see.

I've gone with underlining, so sat basting one of the huge pieces carefully together yesterday.  Should be try-on-able later today...
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2022, 00:20:19 AM »
I like those flutter sleeves.  I have a RTW dress with similar sleeves.  Light enough to be cool and airy but enough to cover up the tops of arms that weren't what they were a couple of decades ago.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2022, 10:54:47 AM »
Hello dear lady - lovely to have you back! Isn't someone else on here making that very dress at the mo and has had a prob with the side seam dropping where the flounce is?  Yes, it's @Ohsewsimple . Personally I not a fan of flutter sleeves in general - I think they can be aging and I need to help in that direction. I've tried many variations/ lengths but have always ripped em out and just used a bound armhole.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2022, 10:59:36 AM »
Hello dear lady - lovely to have you back! Isn't someone else on here making that very dress at the mo and has had a prob with the side seam dropping where the flounce is?  Yes, it's @Ohsewsimple . Personally I not a fan of flutter sleeves in general - I think they can be aging and I need to help in that direction. I've tried many variations/ lengths but have always ripped em out and just used a bound armhole.

...which is what I ended up doing lol.  O ordered a couple of pashminas from ebay as a cover up if needed, then found I have a PERFECT one already.  Pity the hat I wanted to wear doesn't work with it but hey ho, there's enough happiness in those shoes to last me AGES
C'est moi!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2022, 12:04:13 PM »

Not me @Catllar and I  can’t remember who it was now.  :thinking:

Greybird

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
I think it might have been Mocarroll.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2022, 12:27:58 PM »
Well done @Greybird better memory than me!

Missie

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2022, 10:26:05 AM »
Welcome back @DementedFairy .  Looking forward to seeing your makes.  Probably way too late but I would do a separate lining, joined at the arms and neck but do it A-line so that it doesn't interfere with the main dress bunching bits (that definitely is a technical term  :P )

DementedFairy

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2022, 11:10:52 AM »
Welcome back @DementedFairy .  Looking forward to seeing your makes.  Probably way too late but I would do a separate lining, joined at the arms and neck but do it A-line so that it doesn't interfere with the main dress bunching bits (that definitely is a technical term  :P )

Hiya!  I went with underlining as the georgette and habotai are SO light I didn't foresee any draping issues.  Took a lot of handsewing/basting to get it all behaving, and I discarded the sleeve idea as it looked horrible on me.  It is FAB though, and I'm looking forward to wearing it on Saturday.  Pics soon now my new camera AND its required memory card are behaving better lol

sewmuchmore

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2022, 09:57:47 AM »
Good to see you back, looking forward to seeing your makes.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
 :laughing:
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet