The Sewing Place

Sept & Oct 2022 contest - Autumn 3 piece clothing collection (or 2 piece)

Flobear

Autumn 3 piece clothing collection

Make 3 items of clothing for Autumn / Winter of which any 2 or all 3 could be worn together

1st September to 31st October 2022 (may be extended if need be)

Timeframe:
Construction starts on 1st September and the items must be completed by 31st October.
Pattern adapting and cutting out, however, may start before the 1st.

Let's see photos of your fabric, pattern, cut-out pieces - progress piccies are always welcome
in this thread even though they're not part of the sewalong rules.

All entries need to be uploaded with the template below and at least one photo by 5th November 2022 

Please submit your entries in this thread using this template:

Details to include:

Your User Name and Entry Number  - 1, 2 etc if entering more than one item
What is it and for whom? (if applicable)
Fabric and Pattern/instructions used  - commercial, frankenpatterns or self-drafted, anything goes
A short description on how you made it  - any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos shown on a dress form or modelled  (preferably no hanger shots, it doesn't do your creation justice)

PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT!

The winning entry will receive an exclusive TSP patch or badge
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I would like to add that if 3 items is/are too much for anyone, please go ahead with 2.  A lot of people have had very busy or demanding lives lately and it would be lovely to have as many participants as we can.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 17:50:51 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewRuthieSews

Yay @Flobear thanks so much for hosting this contest!

I will try to sew along :-)

Puzzler

I was planning to sort through my patterns today and pair them up to stash fabric so if my mojo holds out, I may be in one this one.

I was looking at The Sewdirect site for any patterns I might like to get during their half price sale. I came up with a grand total of one. I will give it a miss though.

Kwaaked

Well, I posted that in the wrong place.

I have some lace to make a skirt like the Craftsy class, then a satin and poplin to match for tops.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 16:03:22 PM by Kwaaked »

Flobear

Please note there is an additional message at the foot of the first post.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Puzzler

Well, struck out on the fabric front with one exception but found some patterns I want to use. I really liked the look of the longer cardigan but not paying that price for only half the pattern as I have no interest in the other cardigan. https://www.mariadenmark.com/shop/sl14-coatigan-cardigan/. However when searching through patterns in my stash, I came across one that is similar. I think I will change the shape of the front hem to lose those pointy bits. I had got it with a view to using some double faced ponte I bought ages ago from the Textile Centre. The pattern directions call for leaving the outside edges raw. There is no way this stuff will suit hemming as it’s very thick. I was thinking of some sort of binding as I don’t like the unfinished look of raw edges. The seams will be thick too so will have to ponder those.

Woops. Posted too soon.

I also found an old Sandra Betzina pattern for trousers that I have always wanted to try. https://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/17627. I normally choose the size according to my hip measurement and increase at the waist but for this contoured waistband, I will do the opposite, if that makes sense. Has anyone been following the Top Down Centre Out method of pants fitting? I am not sure this pattern is a good candidate to try that out given the princess seams back and front, but will give it a go on a more basic pants pattern.

For the third piece, if I get that far, I have the Itch to Stitch Bonn shirt toiled. It just needs a couple of minor adjustments (after making a whole load of major ones, of course).

« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 09:33:18 AM by Puzzler »

SewRuthieSews

Ooh we have a good time frame for this - 2 months, and the option of 2 or 3 garments.

I think I would do
- trousers, with a full or partial elastic waist
- either a 3/4 sleeved t shirt or a long sleeved shirt
- and a cardigan

I don't look good in a lot of the traditional autumn colours, so will probably go more for burgundy and berry tones.
I have a fairly substantial fabric stash resource centre to draw on so who knows which directional I'll go once I've rootled in the boxes!

Catllar

Do you know I think I might give this a go. Once I get back home I'll have alooksee at my fabrics.  Could be possible and it might be a bit cooler up in the sewing room now. Watch this space.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Renegade Sewist

@Puzzler I really liked the looks of those pants. Then I tried them on. They were horrible not good. Even Sandra said they were horrible. I have a belly and a thicker waist. The extensive changes it was going to take to have them fit weren't worth it as they were still going to be ugly on me.

Explanation: I took a wonderful 2 day fitting class with Sandra Betzina. She is delightful and goes far beyond the call of duty. To help us get the best fit in a broad range of patterns She had sewed up samples of 6 or 7 basic and current at that time patterns. In fact she had purchased bolts of fabrics so that each pattern, such as this pant, she made one of every size in the same fabric. She took everyone's measurements then suggested which sizes to try on and insisted on taking a look and telling you what to change. It was marvelous. But those pants definitely didn't work for many people. Certainly not me. Pity, the style is quite lovely.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

toileandtrouble

If I ever return to a consistent 100% consciousness I would like to have a go too. Definitely need 2 garments, would like 3.
How long for anaesthetics to clear fully?  10 days now.  Perhaps just catching up on months  of poor sleep.  I thought I was coming round an hour ago.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Puzzler

@Renegade Sewist, I take your point. I will make a toile first and assess from there.

@toileandtrouble, how you are on the mend and manage to shake off the fatigue. It does take a while.

Starryfish

I'm in, I have a plan for:
1. Black wool wide leg trousers-  I made some burda ones a couple of years ago and they are just right.
2. Black and purple print blouse - maybe Grainline Archer or maybe an Ottobre bloouse with fuller sleeves- I've got the fabric.
3. Purple double wool jersey coatigan. -Style Arc Coral. I bought the fabric on ebay while browsing some time ago.
All I need is to buy the wool for trousers and I'm set.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Renegade Sewist

@Puzzler a toile would be wise with this one. I think it is great looking, just problematic for some people depending on how you need to adjust things for your body.  When the designer tells you that it's still going to look bad on you no matter what we do to adjust it and apologizes about it you know it's not going to work. It was funny at the time.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

Depending on the lace if I go navy or black.  Shocker, I own fabric that isn't always bright.

If I do the navy, I have a navy charmuese and a myriad of navy prints in all types of fabrics.  Looking at a poplin for ease and debating if I want to add bead work/rhinestones to the second one.

If I go black, I have black charmeuse and a cream print with pink-red flowers over it. 

Ouryve

I might manage this quite painlessly . I have some plum coloured French Jersey, intended to become joggers and a sweatshirt and it should tone nicely with one of the blue tops I have planned.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"