The Sewing Place

Need help hand sewing a leather sofa

coffeeaddict

Need help hand sewing a leather sofa
« on: September 03, 2022, 18:50:24 PM »
My first post here!  8)
I originally joined because I had a question about an Ikea sewing machine...
But I need help on something else: sewing a leather sofa - by hand!

See pic below:

I took this pic 3 weeks ago. The split is now much much bigger.

How do I sew something like this? :thinking:
I've got no problem if there will be a stitch showing down the middle - if it can be made to look 'artistic'.
I'm guessing I need a super strong needle used for leather? I've never seen this before.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum to post in - I couldn't find any others on the website that were relevant.
Thanks!

Ouryve

Re: Need help hand sewing a leather sofa
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 19:26:45 PM »
It will be difficult to do with the stuffing in. Is there a zip on the cushion so you can at least reduce the tension on the leather?

The easiest wat to fix it would be to put a piece behind the split - something like a sturdy canvas - and stitch the leather to it, along the lines of top stitching, if possible. It won't be easy to do neatly, though.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 20:12:56 PM »
If this were fabric, I would have suggested using ladder stitch, but I think there a different technique for leather called a”butt stitch”.
https://am-leathercraft.com/blogs/news/box-butt-stitch-practicing-on-a-whisky-flask

We do have some leather workers on the forum who might be along with better advice.

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 20:28:55 PM »
If the cushion pad is removable I'd do as @Ouryve suggested. You'd need a leather needle & strong thread. I'm not sure an IKEA machine would have enough ooomph so I'd do it by hand. If the cushion doesn't have a zip then it might be possible to hand stitch with a curved leather needle. Is it the thread that's rotted or has the leather torn along the seam?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 22:20:02 PM »
I think that butt stitch as suggested by @StitchinTime suggested is teh way to go, but I also think that curved needles will make it a bit easier.

Do ensure that all the bits of broken stitching is removed and then overlap two or three of the existing stitches before you get to entirely new stitches.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 23:08:05 PM »
I agree with StitchinTime. I also think using the right needle - and thread - will be half the battle. Try ringing: https://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/shop/ for some advice. They are usually very helpful.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:10:04 AM »
First, welcome!  As someone already asked is there also tearing of leather? There's some very rough looking leather in that gap. It will have to be sewn by hand. It is very difficult to get your stitching in the preexisting holes with a machine unless you are very experienced. If you miss and add more holes it's like microperforations and it will tear very easily. Is this a weight bearing cushion? One you sit on as opposed to lean against?

Frankly, with my leather experience and having repaired a very expensive tote bag by hand when the cotton thread that was used rotted, I would be taking that cushion to an expert upholstery place that does leather. Both for a consult and a quote. Locally I know of a car upholstery repair guy who would be my first choice. He does amazing custom work.

* if the thread is compromised you need to restitch the entire seam. If not it will just pop apart elsewhere. Probably the entire sofa. Which actually means you'll be needing a new sofa.

If it were me I'd examine all the other seams to see if that's the only problem before I spent too much time figuring out how to fix it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 01:11:51 AM by Renegade Sewist »

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 12:12:50 PM »
Like @Renegade Sewist , I would check the rest of the seam as well.  No point making the repair, then having to do another soon after.  I was thinking the glue may help to strengthen the seam before sewing... just a thought.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeaddict

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 15:43:58 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Cushion not removable.
The leather is fine - just the material underneath is torn.

The damage happened with an excited 13 year old bouncing up and down playing Fifa on PS4.  :[

Since posting, I did a search on youtube. I saw an American video selling curved needles. It 'seemed' pretty easy.
I've ordered curved needles as part of a kit on Amazon. So will give it a go in a day or 2.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 18:11:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Cushion not removable.
The leather is fine - just the material underneath is torn.

The damage happened with an excited 13 year old bouncing up and down playing Fifa on PS4.  :[

Since posting, I did a search on youtube. I saw an American video selling curved needles. It 'seemed' pretty easy.
I've ordered curved needles as part of a kit on Amazon. So will give it a go in a day or 2.

@coffeeaddict that looks like torn leather. Whatever the material is it's stabilizing the seams. I'd suggest replacing it with something sturdy in a similar color and use some suitable glue.

I hope you ordered curved leather needles for hand sewing. John James does a nice one that is just bent that would be excellent for this. Curved upholstery needles are very sharp and pointy, not ideal for using existing holes. Two types of leather needles, one with a triangular tip that cuts through leather,  piercing it's own hole. Not what's wanted here. The others have a rounded tip that's tapered but not sharp.  Best choice for your project.

Thread. You'll be wanting, ideally, nylon upholstery thread. Next best is 100% polyester upholstery thread. After that, top stitching thread. Whichever, best color match to existing thread. Don't use a regular sewing thread, especially if you don't stabilize the seam. It greatly increases the likelihood of it popping out again. Or ripping along the stitching. Especially if the kiddo does a repeat performance.

As @BrendaP said overlap the existing stitches. I'd do more than she suggested, maybe 10, or 2 inches, which ever is greater, as this is a load bearing seam.

Subtract the repair costs from the kiddos allowance.  ;)

Oh. Get the kid one of those little rocker gaming chairs. Keep him/her/they off the leather sofa. They can jump up and down on the floor. Like the rest of us.  :thumb:

Good luck.  :thumb:

coffeeaddict

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 12:57:27 PM »
So I got a leather repair kit.
3 curved needles, nylon string with wax on.
+ some other things - a poking thing - and a thimble.

PROBLEM: the leather is too tough.
On a video I saw, they said follow existing holes.
I'm trying, but the need just won't go through.
I'm using the thimble - which is a ring.
I think if I used excess force, I could get through - but this would take 2 minutes of great struggle JUST to get through the one hole!
Then I have maybe 100 more holes to stitch - that's just one sofa. There are 2 sofas in total needing repair.

Any ideas? I'm stuck here.  :facepalm:
Thanks.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 14:45:43 PM »
@coffeeaddict  no one said it would be easy.  ;) That's one reason I suggested taking it to a pro if possible.

Ok. Is your "poking thing" an awl? You really need to use the existing holes. Your needles are too big. Are you using the thinnest one from the set? Do that, use an awl to loosen the holes a bit- not too much! Only do a couple of them at a time. Also, a needle nose plier is your friend here. Get the tip of the needle through then pull or grab behind the leather and push. Which works best depends on you, your tools and the leather. Circular needles are actually very difficult to work with especially on leather. You can always order some of the bent tip John James leather needles. They strike me as easier to control.

And yes, it might very well take a minute or two for each stitch.

I'm sure you've considered putting the kiddo up for adoption at this point. Thirteen isn't too old. ;)

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 14:47:13 PM »
Did you try this company? https://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/shop/

It may be that a curved needle isn't necessarily the best for the job. With some leather work I believe two threaded needles are used - one from each side alternately to pull both sides together. They would be able to advise which needles are best.

coffeeaddict

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 15:34:53 PM »
Thanks for both replies.

I've tried calling for pros. I rang around loads the other day and also today, I must have rang 5 numbers.
No luck.

The kit I got looks like everything I need - judging by what I saw on a youtube instruction video.
Awl - aaah, that's the name of the pointy thing.
I tried the smallest needle and then tried the biggest one, no luck.
I think once I crack the solution for a few of the stitches, I'll be fine.
Just trying to think of the next move.  :thinking:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 15:59:05 PM »
I think your needle set may be more suitable for that thick, solid type of leather.  Upholstery leather is much softer, so may need a much finer needle.  As has been suggested before, use needle-nose pliers to pull the needle through.  IT won't be a quick job!