The Sewing Place

Leonora the Bunny

b15erk

Leonora the Bunny
« on: September 06, 2022, 12:01:29 PM »
Another random project is developing today thanks to eldest DD.  I took her shopping, and she mentioned that her friend has a child who is three years old, blind, can't communicate, but is slowly learning to walk.  She remembered that I used to make things for the babies - very strange toys, blankets etc, and wondered if I would be up for it.

Well, yes I would, and I have kiddy fabric which needs using, so I have a couple of blanket ideas.  But then, on the SewMag website, I found a really nice Rabbit, with a free template.  It's all cut out now, so I went back for the instructions - and there are none!  I'm assuming that the instructions are in the magazine, and I don't have that particular issue...

LeonoraTheBunny

So, wondering if you lovely people can suggest any YouTube tutorials with basic toy (rabbit) making instructions.  I'm all cut out and ready to sew!  :boohoo: :boohoo:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ouryve

Re: Leonora the Bunny
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 12:37:05 PM »
If you Google the magazine issue, the whole thing is *cough* available as a *cough* pdf download, that didn't kill my phone.

This mag actually looks buying for the patterns, this month. I normally give it a swerve.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »
It's not quite the same, but would the instructions from this pattern be any help?
https://www.gathered.how/sewing-and-quilting/sewing/how-to-sew-a-bunny-toy-softie/

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 12:44:09 PM »
Thank you @StitchinTime  I'm hopping over there to have a look!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 12:59:26 PM »
That one is lovely, @StitchinTime  and you coyld have some fun with those quilted ears
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 13:26:30 PM »
I've just had a quick look, and this tutorial looks great - it has the same head pieces (which I've already done wrong once!)

So, when I've unpicked, I will go back to see what I should have done!  :embarrassed:

Jessie

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 16:42:33 PM »
it looks like its the October 22 issue, so maybe its in the shops and you could buy the magazine?

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 17:44:40 PM »
I don't believe it!!  :rant:  I bought this magazine when I was out with DD yesterday, but hadn't looked at it.  :rolleyes: :embarrassed:

Thank you @SewRuthieSews , I knew I had the memory of an earthworm - this just confirms it!!  :headbang:

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 20:39:33 PM »
Well, here it is.  The ugliest rabbit I've made since the last ugly rabbit I made.  It is truly awful.  The ears are not level (but they do crunch nicely), the head twists in a very sinister way.

The velvet was far too slippery for this small project, I think this is why it has twisted.  On the positive side, the legs are nice!  :laughing:

I don't think I'll bother finishing it, but I may cut another one out, now I know what is required.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 20:50:02 PM »
If the child has little or no vision it's the tactile element that's important, and it looks as though you have got plenty of that.  :thumb:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 20:54:28 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement @BrendaP , be fair though it's awfully ugly... :laughing: :laughing:

Jessie

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 21:56:11 PM »
I think its the tiny eyes, make em bigger and it'll be good!

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 21:59:11 PM »
She is pretty scary!

The velvet would be nice for just the body, though.

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 22:55:34 PM »
I’d just make a new head, if I were you. I think it’s the purple head with the tiny eyes that’s the problem. As someone else said, you have lots of tactile interest in the rest of it - seems a shame to waste all that work. With a different head and big cute eyes, it’ll be perfect. :loveit:

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 09:35:32 AM »
@BrendaP , I've taken on board what you said, and you are right, the ugly bunny is very tactile, and would be very suitable for this little boy, but he will have another, which (I hope) will be rather prettier... :rolleyes:

@Sheilago , the head and body are in one piece, so it isn't possible to make the head differently.  I can however, make the whole body with more suitable fabric - I'm thinking about denim... :thinking:

@SewRuthieSews , I'm going to have a go at the face later, and try some button eyes...

Jessie
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 14:31:44 PM by Iminei »