The Sewing Place

Has anyone read 'How to Start Sewing'?

SewMeSome

Has anyone read 'How to Start Sewing'?
« on: October 03, 2022, 20:16:26 PM »
I have been finding my way by trial and error since lockdown in my journey into sewing and making, asking questions on here and watching YouTube videos.

However, I think it's time I either got a good teacher or great text book.

I'm thinking of investing in this (but it's quite expensive , for me anyway, I am on a tight budget)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1700478192/?coliid=I3B3EWMCOKB5N0&colid=1OUKORV9A262J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If anyone has read it/used it, is it as good as the reviews on Amazon say?

Helen M

Re: Has anyone read 'How to Start Sewing'?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 20:35:24 PM »
Have you thought about using books from a library to see if they are what you are looking for?

Also what kind of things are you sewing or wanting to sew? I'm not sure I'd buy a book with patterns as they may not be what I want to sew therefore I'd be wasting money on those projects. Just my thoughts.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

SewMeSome

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 20:54:21 PM »
Thanks for reply Helen. I have been making bags, ruck-sacks and hats from template patterns.

I want to start making shirts and trousers and maybe jackets/coats (I am a man, so I realise some of the patterns in the book will be of no use to me), but I was looking for a book that went from the very basics and upwards, as I am not even sure of the terminology and how to communicate with other sewers.

I am getting on in age, and never used a sewing machine until 2 years ago. I sewed buttons on, but that was about my lot. And obviously I grew up at a time when boys did metalwork and woodwork and never got a chance a make things with fabric.

When looking for a book,I wanted big diagrams, simple language - that one seemed to fit the bill and had good reviews on Amazon , but the best recommendation would be from people who've really used it.

It's a long story , but I cant use the local library,(but it involves a lost book and fines that just kept going up and then they cancelled my membership...this was over 15years ago, but I was told I couldn't re-join unless I paid over £90- the book itself that I lost was only about £13 in value, but no complaints, it was my fault )

I can read on a computer/Kindle but for a 'how to' book I would prefer an actual physical book.

Thanks

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 22:04:17 PM »
I haven't ever used a sewing book but I believe The Sewing Book by Alison Smith is often recommended.  If her book is half as good as her tailoring videos should be worthwhile.
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 22:09:10 PM »
You can find lots of books for free on https://z-lib.org/
Some of them are only in .pub format so you need a free .pub reader.

The title you mention isn't in there but some others are

https://b-ok.cc/s/Start%20Sewing

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 22:13:23 PM »
I have one by Anne Ladbury which I bought in the 1970s. It looks dated now but has a lot of detail & clear pictures. Unless your local library has a librarian with a good memory, surely you could go in & browse the shelves? I'd be wary of shelling out for that Amazon one when you can't even look inside. What about your charity shops?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 22:18:18 PM »
@SewRuthieSews nit seen that site before!   :thumb:

I’d definitely try a library for books.  Are you sure you can’t join after all this time?

SewMeSome

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 22:32:02 PM »
@SewRuthieSews nit seen that site before!   :thumb:

I’d definitely try a library for books.  Are you sure you can’t join after all this time?

I'm not totally sure...I daren't go back.

SewMeSome

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 22:33:29 PM »
You can find lots of books for free on https://z-lib.org/
Some of them are only in .pub format so you need a free .pub reader.

The title you mention isn't in there but some others are

https://b-ok.cc/s/Start%20Sewing

:thumb:

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 23:00:46 PM »
That is an expensive book. My own favourite books are those by Ann Ladbury
like this one
They are old books but she had a knack of making things simple without compromising on quality.

Kwaaked

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 23:30:45 PM »
I tend to go a different way about it.  Get an easy pattern or "Sewing For Dummies" or the "Learn to Sew" series and the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing and use the book as a reference for the techniques to the very easy pattern and directions.

Craftsy is also a good way to go about it with instructional videos. 

Let me warn you now: men's sewing and tailoring is it's own animal.  While techniques can and are used on both gender styles, very few books aimed at women will teach you how to sew for men.  David Page Coffin is a good resource for that, although his books are often high, his classes on Craftsy are very well done.  And I do get you need to learn to read a pattern and learn to sew, but be aware that there is an additional learning curve for men's wear.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 23:38:06 PM »
The Alison Smith Sewing book is very good.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s?k=alison+smith+sewing+book&crid=VHE2L4KFBRFO&sprefix=alison+smith%2Caps%2C88&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_12

There are several other older publications which are similar which might turn up as less expensive second hand books:

'Sewing' by Ann Ladbury
'The sewing Book' by the Singer company
'Sewing in Colour' by McCalls
'Sewing Guide' by Threads

Whilst fashions change good techniques don't - although older books won't deal with stretchy/lycra fabrics and overlockers.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 08:38:44 AM »
Try the Charities, Ebay, Your Local Gumtree or second-hand book shops, either online like abebooks or oxfam ... or real life.

My town has an excellent SH BS called The Dorset Bookshop
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 13:42:19 PM »
I know this might sound a bit controversial but my honest opinion is that you'd be far better saving your money and learning from the people here. I've been sewing since I was about 8, I qualified as a tailor at age 20 nearly 50 years ago but still find there are things I don't know. I ask here and someone will know and explain "how to" beautifully, what they can't explain they can usually direct you to a site that can.
All my books are really old and out of date now but thinking back different authors tended to give their own methods with few doing things the same way! Techniques have changed a lot as so many new fabrics have been developed but a lot of us here seem to do things in a very similar way.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 14:06:50 PM »
You've got some good suggestions for books here and I also think that Gumtree, eBay, charities etc are good places to look for them.  I think that a book is a good starting place as you don't know what you don't know and what questions to actually ask.  Once you've got an idea of some of the basics it's easier to formulate and fire away your questions. Good luck