The Sewing Place

Newlook K6655

b15erk

Newlook K6655
« on: October 18, 2022, 18:36:27 PM »
Just started this today, and before I cut it out, I didn't anticipate any problems.  Now I'm not so sure...

I've just looked at PatternReview, and there's only one, who didn't have a problem!  :thinking:  So there's me, feeling stoopid right off!

I thought it was the top which may have been a bit tricky, so I made a toile, and had no problem, but, it's the skirt that has me scratching my head...

Anyone made this? Any help or advice will be gratefully received... :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: Newlook K6655
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 10:56:13 AM »
I worked late last night figuring out the flouncey bit on the skirt.  I have sorted it, but not sure I like the idea of it hanging free, which it appears it should do.

So, my intention is, to just baste that one seam, to see how I prefer it, and how it hangs.  I can always overlock when I'm happy.

I'm going to start though, by sewing the bodice, which is more important for fitting purposes.

This is going to be one of those dresses that once you've done it, you'll wonder what the problem was... :rolleyes:

I've changed the fabric to a knit, as the fit on the woven was a bit snug, and I think I will get a little more ease.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:14:42 AM »
The suggested fabrics are crepe, georgette and rayon, so it'll be interesting to see how you get on with the knit Jessie. I see the pattern has lots of darts as well as a 22" invisible zip which you surely won't need. I'd say you're more flexible at adapting patterns than me and clearly you do like a challenge! Here's the link for others https://simplicity.com/new-look/n6655

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 11:21:35 AM »
@Vezelay , I have my fingers firmly crossed on this one! 

The knit I'm using hasn't got too much stretch, so I'm hopeful it will work, if not, I'm sure I'll salvage a top from it!

Off I now pop, to do my worst!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 20:08:23 PM »
Well, the top went together well, and I basted the skirt as I planned.

The little side flounce takes a bit of thought, and I'm glad I just basted it, as it took a couple of tries to get it right.

I've just attached the bodice to the skirt, and I'm going to try it without a zip  :S

Whoop whoop! All is well!  Fit is good - even without a zip, and the flounce hangs nicely.  I'm very glad I didn't line the skirt, as it would have been far too heavy, I'll make a slip instead.  I like my shortened sleeves too, I can't get on with wrist length.  :thumb:

OH really likes it too - I've just got to do the finishing off now, and it can hang in the wardrobe waiting for the party!  I'll take some pics tomorrow, when it's all tidied up, and the very long hem is done!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 13:02:02 PM »
It's done!  I made it in a cotton jersey that I've had for ages - I also hacked into a previous dress I'd made from the same fabric (and never worn).

I only lined the bodice, because as I found with the previous dress, it was far too heavy.  I'll make a slip to wear with this one.  The woven toile I made was very snug, which is why I changed the fabric to a knit, and tbh, it's worked really well.  It's a bit plain, so I may buy a nice belt to go with it, but, it fits well, and it matches my shoes nicely!

The photographs are a bit meh, as I took them last night.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 14:24:00 PM »
Looks great @b15erk and I love the sleeve detail

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 15:07:38 PM »
Tbh @Ohsewsimple , I don't think it has great hanger appeal, but it does look nice on.  I do think I'll jazz it up with a fancy belt though.

Jessie

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 16:46:00 PM »
That's not my idea of 'a bit plain' Jessie. Great party dress - well done you!