The Sewing Place

Does anyone know this Elna model please?

SewMeSome

Does anyone know this Elna model please?
« on: October 19, 2022, 14:37:15 PM »
Can anyone ID this Elna model please ?

Vezelay

Re: Does anyone know this Elna model please?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 14:46:44 PM »
The model number is usually on a plate on the bottom or side of the machine.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 15:26:20 PM »
Hi SewMeSome this Elna was an Elna T Sp (Top Special) dating from around 1974/75, and was part of the Swiss Mechanical Star series.  The brochure says "With Double Sewing Programme", and I can quote what it says in the original brochure ( I have the Elna SU from the same era hence my having the brochure)

"The new Elna T SP is the top most of the Elna models with built in stitches.  Added to the 7 automatic stitches - all of which are practical, including the straight stitch - there are superautomatic stitch patterns (the needle stitches in all directions automatically) which are particularly suitable for sewing modern fabrics such as jersey, knitted fabrics and towelling etc.  No-Turn buttonhole.

The Elna T SP easily copes with all the sewing jobs that normally must be done in a household such as mending, dressmaking and interior decoration."

On the brochure and written in pen the price was £165.

These machines came in a metal blue carrying case which was in two parts, and you used the part where the fastening is to fit around the free arm of the machine in order to make it a extension table.

I had a friend who had this machine and it was lovely to sew with.  Also note that in this brochure alongside the picture of the machine it says NEW.

The difference between my Elna SU and the Elna T SP is that my Elna SU has the ability of adding single or double discs plus it also has some inbuilt stitches.

These Elnas were beauties and a delight to sew with.   

I hope this helps answer your question.

SewMeSome

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 16:51:42 PM »
Thanks for all that info @Elnnina , very helpful indeed.

I am looking to pick up a spare/second machine to use that will be reliable and solid and nothing too fancy or complicated.

I have a Bernina Minimatic 707 , and love it , so this might not be a steep learning curve and easy to adapt to?

Thanks once again

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 17:12:45 PM »
I love my Elna and despite its age I do still use this machine.  In my opinion both Bernina and Elna machines of that era stitch beautifully and are very quite and reliable  due I am sure to their Swiss origins.  The only downside I have found is that they are expensive to have serviced - I had both my Elna and Bernina 830 Record serviced at the same time back in 2003 and they were over £100 each plus two new up to date electric plugs and the Bernina had to have a new bobbin winder.  You may think this was mad having them both serviced at the same time, well the Bernina I had inherited from my mother, and nobody knew whether she had ever had it serviced, and at the time I had just been making my daughter's wedding dress so it deserved some tender loving care, and my Elna's tension was slightly playing up, and that too had been involved in the sewing of the wedding dress - hundreds upon hundreds of tiny scallop stitching on net.

SewMeSome

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 10:18:13 AM »
How would that Elna cope with heavy cordura etc ? I make bags and backpacks, it's quite heavy going. My Bernina 707 coped quite well.

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 10:35:20 AM »
Sorry I cannot help with this question.

What I would suggest is that if you are thinking of buying this machine, is it possible for you to take some of these fabrics with you and test the sewing machine out on these.

At one time Elna had a foot control peddle that had the ability to sew at a slower speed than normal, and I suppose there is just a chance that this machine might have that type of foot control.

I also believe there is an online Elna Group for the older Swiss machines, but whether this is still around I do not know.

Rhapso

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »
It's a Star Series, not sure of the model from your photo but this article might help with your identification:

http://www.ashleyandthenoisemakers.com/blog/2015/6/21/elna-super-64c-review

It discusses both flatbed and freearm machines.  HTH.