The Sewing Place

Quilt as you go

Sara-S

Quilt as you go
« on: October 19, 2022, 21:33:27 PM »
This is my first attempt. It’s just a small sampler that I was given at the quilt guild meeting. Someone else had started it, which is good. The written instructions weren’t great, but from what was already sewn, I could see what to do next.

The front looks OK, but the back is a mess. That’s partly because I had trouble with the thread tension; every setting I tried seemed to be either too tight or too loose. Eventually, I found it, but there was already some sloppy stitching down. Also, I made the mistake of following the directions which said to use white thread. The back is a red plaid and I’d have normally used red thread.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ploshkin

Re: Quilt as you go
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 22:04:45 PM »
@Sara-S is each strip sewn on to the wadding / backing then folded back along the stitching?  I made my first ever quilted thing like that - a log cabin wall hanging.  It was a really good way to do it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 22:08:14 PM »
@Ploshkin yes, that is exactly how I did it.

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 20:36:36 PM »
I have another piece of the backing, with batting, that’s a good size for a lap quilt. I want to do the front (also in Quilt-as-you go mode) with rail fence blocks. Toward that end, I made a couple of test blocks with some scrap. The second try came out pretty good
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
I am starting on a larger QAYG project- a lap quilt I hope to make as a gift for my husband. (The backing is plaid and his ancestry is Scottish). But I am running into one problem.  As I put it under the machine, the foot snags on the exposed batting.  I would welcome any suggestions.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 10:05:15 AM »
Why are you QAYG without backing ????

The whole point of QAYG is you avoid having to handle the whole thing as one big entity ... You are going to have to add backing at some point, when were you thinking of doing that?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 10:07:36 AM »
You make the sandwich before you quilt. The needle should never come into contact with any wadding
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »
You make the sandwich before you quilt. The needle should never come into contact with any wadding

I think the needle might but not the feed dogs. Why is the foot ?   I am no quilter but this is a technique that I am interested in.

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 20:55:33 PM »
I surrender!  It get's worse by the day, and I am not having any fun with it.  Time to just cut my losses and start another project.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 09:15:17 AM »
@Sara-S

There are plenty of tutorials on this both n the ether ... the simplest one by the by the Gourmet Quilter Susan Claire Mayfield (who 'taught' me how to quilt) and in the Darkside tutorial section by myself

Dont give up .....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 15:24:24 PM »
@Iminei I haven’t I’ve up on QAYG. But this project is done. I need to start fresh, after I have learned a bit more.