The Sewing Place

Sewing for Australia.

Tiggy

Sewing for Australia.
« on: October 30, 2022, 07:30:30 AM »
Well, we are going on a true adventure in March.
Manchester - Singapore - Australia - Dubai - home via Manchester.

When we are in Australia, we will be starting in Adelaide, going north through Alice Springs and the Red Centre so it will be hot.  Over to Cairns where it will be hot and a bit sticky, then down the Sunshine Coast in a campervan to Sydney.  So we will be crossing through a couple of climates.
Has anybody been to Australia in April?  My relative say ‘bring a coat’ for Adelaide, but their definition of coat weather is probably a bit different to mine.  I live in West Yorkshire which is possibly a bit cooler.  We are going for 6 weeks, so I need the ultimate capsule wardrobe which is easy care.

Help please ?
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Silver Rose

Re: Sewing for Australia.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 08:13:45 AM »
How exciting  @Tiggy  I have only been to NSW and Victoria in October and November  I am sure one of our Australian members will advise.
Still learning

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 09:35:30 AM »
I've been to Australia in April. It was dull, damp and mild. Hardly saw the sun
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 10:23:13 AM »
@Tiggy  you need to chat with @datcat23 . Dani lives in Canberra.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

PollyWally

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 10:37:14 AM »
I was in Adelaide last April and the weather was on the cool side. I would suggest that you take a windproof jacket rather than a winter type coat. I haven't been to Alice Springs but I think it can get cold there at night even though the day is warm.

misschris

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 10:42:33 AM »
It will be autumn in April. The centre can get cold at night, I've been in Alice Springs in spring when it was in the mid 30's during the day and 2 degrees at night.

Climate averages might be helpful. You can adjust for different months, max and min temps.

Climate and average weather - scroll down to the regions for specific info.

With regard to a coat - the wind chill factor can make it seem colder than it is. You likely won't need a heavy coat, but a jacket (waterproof) will be of use and you can layer if it's cool. It can be wet on the east coast in April. We're suffering from a La Niña weather event, so currently the rain is endless. There's lots of flooding through the eastern states.  It's expected to ease by the end of summer but there could still be some rain in April.

You will need a sun hat, sunglasses and 50+ sunscreen. Be diligent about applying it every day, the sun can be brutal, even in winter. The Bureau of Meteorology has a UV index that indicates the risk - today in Melbourne was about 20 degrees, very cloudy and raining on and off all day. The UV index was 8 which is considered a very high risk. Through the areas you'll be travelling at that time of year, the risk will be higher every day. Sun Safety

You'll be visiting some beautiful places, I hope you have a fabulous trip.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 14:18:45 PM »
I've been to Oz a few times and a light  windproof jacket was all I ever needed but then we didn't go to the  cold bits - Adelaide, Melbourne etc can be a bit cool in the Autumn, didn't get to the centre.  Went up the East coast from Sydney to the top, and it rained like I've never seen before - kids were fishing on the roads and I guess that was about half way up. Tropical storms and hot and sticky. We had it all except snow. I always wore a hat but I didn't do sunscreen ( bad me).  There is a lot of aircon so sometime indoors is colder than outside . 

Just to say we were there for 6 weeks before going on to Vietnam and I travelled with handluggage only.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 14:20:20 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 14:59:01 PM »
When we went to Australia, late spring..early summer.....we never saw the sun and it was cool!!
Triumph of hope over experience :D

datcat23

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 20:54:45 PM »
Hey there @Tiggy ... wow what a huge trip you are going on.

So, when coming to Aus, its helpful to remember its a huge country, and therefore the weather will vary dramatically.

So yes, a cardi or light coat will be needed for April in Adelaide, but you will need light daytime layers for the NT as it will still be quite warm, although by April the nights will be cool'ish.  April will be coming to the end of the wet season, so you may find it very wet.  Light fabrics for the heat, but long sleeves and pants to cover your skin, because there will still be mozzies.  And yes ..... sun protection, we after all, are the leading country for skin cancer. 

Those same light layers will be useful in Cairns, as yes, it will be humid, quite likely all of Queensland, as you come down the coast.  That being said, you are right, you may be in a lot of air-conditioning, and yes, we do tend to run those quite cold.  As you come down the NSW coast, you may find it a slight bit cooler, especially if you go to any of the mountains areas.  You won't need a padded, heavy jacket ..... but cardigans, long pants, shoes/socks rather than sandals ... you may find a little bit of need for those.

I would put together a good sized capsule wardrobe, of pants and tunics in linen blends, rayon dresses, perhaps a loose fit kimino jacket for over them, and then a light-med weight cardi.. Cotton blend scarves are great to do double duty as sun protection, and to wrap around the neck if it gets cool.   Good walking shoes/socks, and sandals for the hot days, swimmer.

Going up through the centre will be quite sparse population wise, but coming down the Qld and NSW coasts, you will encounter lots of civilisation, and therefore just about every medium to large sized town will have an charity shop, that you will be able to pick something up, should the weather do something unexpected. 

Have fun on your epic holiday.  I am sure you will love it.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Dillyduck

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 20:32:41 PM »
I lived in tropical Western Australia for 3 years, 1973-76.  One holiday we drove 9,000 miles in 5 weeks, across the Nullarbor Plain BEFORE IT WAS SEALED! Adelaide, Melbourne, Snowy Mountains, Canberra, Sydney, back down the Murray Valley to Adelaide, then back across the Nullarbor.  We went back in 2003 and 2005 for 2 wonderful holidays.  Remember you are going in the Australian autumn, going towards winter.  I would suggest easy care clothes, that will layer.  Especially pure cotton jersey.  I would suggest 3 of various things, using the one on, one off and one in the wash - one of the down sides of travelling is finding time to dry stuff.  3 vest tops, 3 short sleeve, 3 long sleeve.  3 light shorts, 2 jeans. 2 cardigans.  Keep everything thin and light.  I would suggest a "two in one" jacket, ours were made by Regatta, fleece inside, waterproof outside, which can be worn separately or zipped together.  Don't forget too about the weather when coming back home.  My top tip would be to use packing cubes, so you can keep things tidy and in order.  You can pack them weeks in advance.  LIST EVERYTHING leave one at home, have one each with you.  Copies of passports on your phone, and driving licences as ID.