The Sewing Place

Shall I try to make this

Celia

Shall I try to make this
« on: November 04, 2022, 11:41:40 AM »
I have decided I really need something like this, do I buy it or try to make it. 

It’s just encouragement and sewjo I think I need or else I am off to buy one.  :devil:

Ellabella

Re: Shall I try to make this
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »
Well @Celia it would be very easy to make and even if you didn’t have the wherewithal to make it, buying the fabric would cost heck of a lot less than the price of that one.

If you know the dimensions you need to achieve it’s relatively simple to work out the size of fabric you need.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 11:55:07 AM »
At that price point, I'd try. It isn't a complicated shape and you could make it to your own colour choice, after a bit of experimentation with scrap fabric.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

realale

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 14:35:39 PM »
How much?!! For what is basically a simple bag? For goodness sake, woman - Get a grip and make it!!!
(Was that suitable encouragement?? :P)
So many beers, so little time.

Diane

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 15:23:43 PM »
@Celia Of course you should make it, i shouldn't think that would be difficult to do, get that sewing machine out  :laughing: I could also do with something like that for when i pop out to get a handful of bits.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 16:40:27 PM »
@Celia Of course you should make it, i shouldn't think that would be difficult to do, get that sewing machine out  :laughing: I could also do with something like that for when i pop out to get a handful of bits.

You need to look at this post then https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,15370.msg309995.html#msg309995 the bag pattern I linked too is great for a quick shop, you can always box out the bottom.  I have made lots in the past.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 16:41:21 PM »
How much?!! For what is basically a simple bag? For goodness sake, woman - Get a grip and make it!!!
(Was that suitable encouragement?? :P)

Love it, measurement taken and the stash will be checked tomorrow  :loveit:

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 16:54:56 PM »
How much and it isn't even gusseted!  Definitely one to make at home!

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 19:12:21 PM »
@Celia it's a canvas tote bag - no lining, no pockets, very simple to make. If you want to be a little more adventurous here's a link to 20 free tote bag patterns https://www.applegreencottage.com/tote-bag-patterns/ . go for it!

Celia

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 20:03:58 PM »
They look really nice @Vezelay i will have a good look and think tomorrow.  Thank you everyone

Celia

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 10:14:26 AM »
Ok today is the day I will dig out the sewing machine.

I am unsure whether to try to make this bag with a separate gusset piece or just box out the corners, does anyone have any suggestions which would be best.

I originally thought of the boxing but now worry it won’t be stable enough

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 10:23:15 AM »
@Celia boxing the corners is much quicker than adding a gusset. 

On some of my bags, rather than trim off the triangle piece created by the boxing out I fix it to the side of the bag, this may help. I usually rivet them in place but that’s only an option if it’s a reasonably firm fabric and you have rivets!

You could consider putting something in the stiffen the base. I would use something like those very flexible cutting mats. They are very easy to trim down and if you tuck them down well they should do the job.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 12:45:15 PM »
Thank you for posting this link, @Vezelay

I really like the Market Bag pattern - I could see this being very useful on the supermarket run.  I would probably do it in furnishing-grade fabric with a decent Martindale number - I'd hate to go to the trouble of making them only to have them wear at the corners in six months!

Celia

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 13:07:47 PM »
Machine found and material found and cut, I am going for boxed corners @Ellabella

Thank you for getting me going

Celia

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2022, 17:52:39 PM »
95% done I will post photos and details tomorrow