The Sewing Place

Draught Excluder

SewRuthieSews

Draught Excluder
« on: November 07, 2022, 14:12:39 PM »
I was about to start making a plain beige draught excluder for the front door.
However DH wanted to know if it would have a tongue, apparently remembering a snake draught excluder from his youth.
So now I'm off to research novelty draught excluders - sigh.

Lachica

Re: Draught Excluder
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 14:14:12 PM »
A red felt tongue, a couple of googly eyes - sorted!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Cazlyn

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 14:17:14 PM »
A draught excluder is on my list too.
Crafting is my happy place

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 15:04:23 PM »
I made several sausage dog excluders in various fabrics in my teens.  From memory all that was needed was to slope off one end to make a snout, add four smaller sausages as legs at the sides and two teardrop-shaped ears, plus two googly eyes, one button nose and a red felt tongue.  No pattern was used.  A snake would need a curved slope-off for the front and a tapered tail, but wouldn't need ears and legs, or, for that matter a nose.  Just googly eyes and a felt forked tongue!

My friends have a great draught excluder - it's designed to look like a London underground tube train of three carriages, but I am sure that was a purchase.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 15:58:59 PM »
I made several sausage dog excluders in various fabrics in my teens.

I won a prize for one I made when I was a Girl Guide.   :woof: :)

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 10:29:40 AM »
Years ago, before we had double glazed doors added to the outer front porch, we had a thick curtain put up at the front door as the side pieces were all glass.  It works very well, especially since even the inner front door is all glass panels and when the hall lights are on you feel as if you might be on show.  We're on the  second one now and I have to admit I had it made to measure.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 16:40:14 PM »
Back when I was small and we were living in badly insulated prefabricated army quarters, with nothing but a coal fire, a single, massively inefficient storage heater and a paraffin heater for warmth, my mum would save all her tights to make draught excluders.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 11:36:33 AM »
We've got draught excluders on the upstairs doors as the lounge is open to the mezzanine floor and there are 7 unheated rooms up there we don't use much. Can feel the cold dropping down if the draught excluders have moved. I made them from old sari fabric and stuffed with whatever was in the scrap bag.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Hummingbird

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 11:09:05 AM »
If you need one on an internal door that opens often, consider sewing a flat channel down the centre of the fabric which is slightly wider than the door thickness. Stuff both sides of it then slide under the door. Then it can stay in place when the door opens and closes. (probably not useful if you have thick carpet though as perhaps too much friction).

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 15:24:24 PM »
I made several sausage dog excluders in various fabrics in my teens.

Me too, then I made one for my prospective in laws. They treasured it for years. I wonder where it went. :thinking:

annierose

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 08:46:54 AM »
I made snake ones and stuffed them with tights, that followed us around. How happy I am to live in a nice well insulated house now - I used to trip over them a lot!