The Sewing Place

daylight filtering blinds

annierose

daylight filtering blinds
« on: November 10, 2022, 09:29:25 AM »
Hello all, does anyone have any experience of these? I hadn't heard of them until I was looking for a simple blind, and came across them on John Lewis (which didn't actually get good reviews). My sewing room has a large window that gets direct sun for about 3 hours every morning, and it can glare too much - so 'daylight filtering' sounded ideal, but I can't find them on other sites, so wonder if they don't really work.
Many thanks!

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: daylight filtering blinds
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 09:54:54 AM »
I wonder if they'd cut out too much light for a sewing room?  I have a wooden venetian blind in my sewing room, so I can angle the slats to stop the direct sunlight, but it still lets enough light in.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »
Do you mean Day and Night blinds @annierose We have them in the bathroom and they are fabulous although more expensive than a simple pull up blind.  Sometimes it's blinding in summer with the sun first thing in a morning so it's easy to cut it out either all or just a bit.  I want some upstairs for the half bathroom,  but I've always got something else I need more.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annierose

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 10:24:52 AM »
Thank you both, this is the daylight filter: https://www.orderblinds.co.uk/buy/cascade-cream-roller-blind_9833.htm
and yes, I am also looking at day and night blinds.
If I get the daylight filter, I would only lower it when the sun is glaring, so I don't think it would be too gloomy. Once the sun has gone past, I want full light.
At the moment, the light is absolutely fine nearly all of the time, just a problem for up to 3 hours on very bright days. I had just been avoiding those ties, but DH is renovating my worktops and it seemed like a good time to think about installing a blind.
I also don't want to spend too much on something that's not a big problem - but of course 'buying cheap' may well end up wasting mor in the long run.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 11:51:49 AM »
Our kitchen faces due east and the rising sun, particularly around the equinoxes, is blinding.  We went to our local roller blind manufacturer/retailer and borrowed a bunch of sample fabrics from him to test against the window.  Some weaves were too loose to cut out the glare but we did find one, which was an artificial fibre and close-woven, that entirely cut the glare without noticeably reducing the light level in the room.  This was nine years ago so I can't give you chapter and verse on what it was, and it's probably no longer available anyway, but I would cast about your locale and see if you have a similar company that will lend you likely samples to try.

annierose

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 16:28:01 PM »
Thanks all, when I looked closely, the JL one was going very cheaply, only £28 for a 180 x 120 window. As I had a £25 voucher, I thought 'ken't goo wrong' so have bought it, knowing it might not work well, but will give me a steer if I need to get something else. Will let you know!

annierose

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 13:03:19 PM »
It has taken this long for me to let you know that the blind works very well for me! We were away for a bit, and the days were gloomy, so I have only just used it for real. It does work very well.
I can see why it got poor reviews. it does look rather 'cheap' - fabric shows a little crease, stitching poor quality; but that doesn't really bother me. Most of the time it is rolled up and barely noticeable against the off white wall. When needed, I am concentrating on sewing, not looking at the blind! So I wouldn't put it in a 'living room' of any kind, but for what I want it is perfect, and a bargain!
Happy Xmas everyone!