The Sewing Place

washing and drying scuba fabric

Elnnina

washing and drying scuba fabric
« on: November 20, 2022, 16:47:40 PM »
Please can anyone advise on washing and tumble drying scuba fabric.  I have a fairly new tumble dryer, and oh so many different settings for different fabrics, and I am at a loss as to which is the best one to use (The dryer is a Bosch).

Ideally I need to wash this fabric first before I go cutting out, and I do not have an airer - anyway I think with the weight of this fabric that would mean having lines across the fabric which is not what I want anyway.  At the moment with this seemingly never ending rain, it is impossible to go hanging this length of fabric out on the washing line.

Have never used scuba before so any hints and tips on sewing, laundering would be most welcome - thanks.

Ouryve

Re: washing and drying scuba fabric
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 16:59:16 PM »
From what I've read, you shouldn't tumble dry it at all, as it can melt but if it was inexpensive and you want to take the risk, I would partially dry it on a cool setting (my rebadged Aeg has a synthetics setting which works with a timer, for example) then lay it out flat on some towels so it doesn't stretch out of shape.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

BrendaP

Re: washing and drying scuba fabric
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 17:10:46 PM »
There's scuba and there's scuba!

Some of it is just double knit fine polyester, some is two layers of fabric bonded together and then there's the proper neoprene as used for wet suits.

If it's 100% polyester does it need tumble drying?  just hang it up.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.