The Sewing Place

Recommend heat transfer method

Vezelay

Recommend heat transfer method
« on: November 21, 2022, 11:15:37 AM »
What I'd like is to be able to add badges, logos or designs to bags, purses, maybe on a few garments etc too. I'm really not sure what level of equipment I'd need to do this. I've been looking at the Cricut Joy, and the Cricut Mini Heat Press (or similar cheaper copycats).

Seems to me you still need to buy lots of other stuff even with these - mats, tools, vinyl. It would just be an interest/hobby for me so what's the bottom line that I need to do this sublimation thingy? I thought heat transfer vinyl and an iron but then there's the cutting...

I know some of you are into this so advice and opinions please.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Recommend heat transfer method
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 18:49:16 PM »
I've only used my Cricut (the Maker 3) for paper cutting so far, so can't advise on HTV.  Sublimation is a bit different, you need either sublimation paper (which kinda has dye in it so you cut shapes out of it) or a printer with sublimation ink in it, to print your own designs which are then heat transferred to fabric.

Dunno if that helps at all!

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 21:25:17 PM »
Ah right @Bodgeitandscarper, not sublimation then, thanks for explaining. Looks like it's HTV (or anything that does the same) I want. Just wondering is there a way to create fabric embellishments without a cutter?

Kad

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 07:42:22 AM »
@Vezelay

I've got, somewhere, heat transfer paints - you create your design on ordinary paper with the paints and allow it to dry. Then use your ordinary iron to complete the transfer to your desired fabric. I seem to remember that the process works well for synthetic fibres, less so as the % of cotton increases. I'll have a hunt for more details this morning
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Kad

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 12:23:55 PM »
Heat transfer paints by Mary Gamester

Photo attached shows instructions   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 15:41:40 PM »
Thanks @Kad I never heard of heat transfer paint. Most of my fabric would be mostly cotton or viscose, rarely poly, but worth looking into. I can see quite a few related videos.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 22:32:11 PM »
Well there's a coincidence.

Today DH (who never shops except for tools) was passing time randomly browsing in Harvey Norman electrical, tech and furniture store while waiting around to drive me home from an eye clinic appointment, and what caught his eye? A whole section filled with something strange called Cricut! Is that a sign or what?  0_0

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 13:53:12 PM »
I have the Cricut Maker 3. I use HTV with it & get good results. I have the Cricut heat press (9 x9). For smaller items, you can use their mini press or even a household iron.

I get results that I am happy with. I have no experience with heat-transfer paint. I imagine it would work for someone with good enough skills, but for me it would require some stencils.  Depending on the design, I might need to buy a ready-made one or cut it myself (the more likely choice.)

I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me, some sort of cutting machine would be essential.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 13:55:55 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 18:11:19 PM »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 14:30:08 PM »
I have used the Cricut Maker for HTV. It works quite well.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.