The Sewing Place

Daylight floor lamps- anyone have one

kowgiirl.up

Daylight floor lamps- anyone have one
« on: November 28, 2022, 15:28:53 PM »
This is on sale for the next two days and I really want one.

Does anyone have one and what’s your opinion? Any input appreciated

I’ve read thar some of these types of lights go out after a year and that the “bulb “ isn’t replaceable. That is hard to believe at this price but…

The floor lamp is here     https://www.missouriquiltco.com/products/daylight-slimline-3-led-floor-lamp

Shoot, Imput this in the wrong place lol
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 15:38:24 PM by kowgiirl.up »
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Ouryve

Re: Daylight floor lamps- anyone have one
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 15:53:58 PM »
Those do look fab but I have a much cheaper offering from that manufacturer I wary of the irreplaceable bulbs, too. A different daylight lmp that I've had for about 8 years still works we despite a fall from a high shelf onto a hard floor. It's just a bit wonky now.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 16:03:52 PM »
I've got one similar with 2 light arms. To be perfectly honest I don't care for it much, I find I can see better with an old fashioned desk lamp and bulb, I don't know if it's the LED light that's totally different to what I'm used to or what, I just can't get on with it.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 16:11:01 PM »
I've got one of these and find it quite effective, it has different tones of light.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CZD12XD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 16:11:03 PM »
LED bulbs have got much better (at least here in the UK), so what I've done is I have a cheap floor lamp from IKEA (mine is a "NOT" which I don't think they do anymore) which has an uplighter part and an adjustable reading light part.
I've then bought bright daylight LED bulbs from somewhere else (a general homewares type shop) and screwed them in. Its bright, replaceable and low energy!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 19:18:22 PM »

I have a floor standing, height adjustable daylight lamp, with a maginifier etc attached which I use a lot. The bulb ixs replaceable.

Have a look here https://www.ottlite.com/crafting-sewing-lamps
Plenty of choice, and again replaceable bulbs

I bought a floor standing  LED light as back up for the back-of-the-garage sewing room because the roof leaks and gets into the ceiling lights. This is  non-replaceable but they say it should last 20 years...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKYLEO-Eye-Caring-Multi-Angle-Adjustable-Brightness/dp/B09QCQPTS8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1QPJ0OHSIGQGP&keywords=daylight+floor+lamps&qid=1669662515&s=lighting&sprefix=%2Clighting%2C81&sr=1-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 20:19:53 PM »
I bought a floor-standing lamp with a magnifier years ago at a show.  Didn't get on with it.  A few years ago, back at the K&S in Ally Pally, I bought an Anglepoise-alike with daylight bulb that clamped to the shelf above the sewing machine.  I also found that the orginal floor stand and the post on the new lamp were a match in terms of fitting, so I jettisoned the original lamp assembly and, at the moment, the new lamp is on the old stand behind the sofa so it shines over my shoulder.  I don't really need it in the sewing room because that faces east and gets a lot of morning light, and because I'm disinclined these days to do machine work in the evening.  Hand sewing in front of the telly is fine.

Long story short, yes, have one, and it's really useful for close work during the dark days and evenings.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »
I have a small sewing room with a central pendant light with a daylight bulb in it. It’s very bright and a cheap solution too.
I have a small desk lamp near my machine but rarely use it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sauglae-Incandescent-Equivalent-Daylight-Bayonet/dp/B085TBB2SF/ref=sr_1_28?crid=2IKFXYLQZ7FNN&keywords=Daylight+bulb&qid=1669712116&s=lighting&sprefix=daylight+bulb%2Clighting%2C86&sr=1-28

« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:06:49 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 10:21:16 AM »
When I first started sewing again I got myself an anglepoise light and just stuck a blue bulb in (coated to give the look of daylight).  With not being used that often it was still working when I swapped it for a proper daylight bulb.  It was a few years ago that I added the  Lumi lamp. I must admit this is fabulous and when it is cold in winter, keeps you warm.  It was expensive but worth every penny, although my folding table was not suitable for the dingy you attach to lock it in so I had to buy the separate 7.5kb brick. I attached to another table so if necessary can just pull the Lumi out and move across.

https://daylightcompany.com/lumi-task-lamp/

The last  cheap one I bought a couple of years ago for DH, only a small one, but died within six months. I've also changed the sewing room light shades so no light is restricted and got LED bulbs in.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ouryve

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 14:04:47 PM »
We have ceiling spots in the dining room, where I sew, which are great, so long as youngest isn't home! He turns them off on sight!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 21:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Ideas have been had..

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »
As at the moment Im working in the dark dingy dining room in glum gloomy days on black and black I wish wish wish I had a daylight lamp ... The Ottlight Im using doesnt seem to help at all.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »
I've got one of those small really bendy ones for Passport @Iminei I like it because you can bend it right over and down to the foot, although not battery, wired.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 10:30:59 AM »
I have an angle poised one that you can switch from daylight to normal to LED at a switch of the button.  It was (I think) £40 from one of the light shops online and has the long arm light bit not a shade type shape.  It swivels to all different angles I have no issues with it at all.  The only draw back is that it is clamp on style and I wish it had a base.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 14:47:43 PM »
I ended up not buying the lamp even though it had a hefty discount from this shop that I like to shop at. For me, it’s a a lot of money to shell out. CCL has two and has good things to say about the light (she has had her for years) but in the end I chickened out.

This thread did give me some ideas though so thank you all :-)