The Sewing Place

Hand sewn items from felt - ideas wanted!

SewRuthieSews

Hand sewn items from felt - ideas wanted!
« on: December 18, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »
I'm primarily a machine sewist, I don't knit or crochet, but sometimes I want a hand sewing project.

I've had fun recently making small Christmas decorations both from a kit and simple self cut ones.
I'd like something simple for the new year though, can't be Christmas all year round.

I thought maybe felt slippers or a mug rug, but am open to other ideas!

Gernella

Re: Hand sewn items from felt - ideas wanted!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 14:03:36 PM »
I had some leftover fabric from my machine mats @SewRuthieSews .  I've finished up with three or is it four (I got carried away) needle cases, with felt on the insides.  I'd also already got some double sided velcro which came in handy to fasten them.

I must admit the one I am using with my main machine has come in very handy.  Previously it was a matter of a scrummage around for a hand sewing needle which I had previous poked into the machine mat and generally had a job of getting out, assuming I found it.  I feel  very virtuous pulling the case out, finding a needle immediately and it going back soon as I've finished. :angel: 

I rather like the idea of a mug rug but they look so much better with embroidery on (I've seen @Iminei mug rugs) and my machine won't do embroidery of that calibre.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

realale

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 14:36:42 PM »
I don't really do much hand sewing but a few ideas I thought of were little felt mice; hanging folk birds; finger puppets; pin cushion, needlecase; bookmarks.......  :)
So many beers, so little time.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 17:13:19 PM »
What about Luna Lapin and her freinds? Books can be bought cheaply here
Cool crafting is the home of the characters here
@SewRuthieSews I have just made Ziggy a new coat out of the orange fabric i bought from you recently.
I have all the books, if you wanted i could copy a couple of the patterns for you if you wanted to have a go, but beware it does become addictive.
I am making Luna at the moment and plan to make her a dress from fabric taken from my wedding dress (now 42 years old).
The characters themselves are all hand sew so very relaxing just to sit and make.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 17:22:03 PM »
Great minds think alike, @sewmuchmore - my mum has been working her way through various Luna Lapin projects and they're really sweet.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Annedonnelly

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 19:31:50 PM »
I've done a few of the folk art birds from Corinne Lapierre. https://www.corinnelapierre.com/.  They're quite small so you can use scraps of felt. She has some other cute animals designs too.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 19:51:33 PM »
Ooh there's some some nice stuff on there!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Nerys

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 13:39:51 PM »
BHG.com had a free pattern for small felt bird some years ago.

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 22:04:49 PM »
How about a tooth fairy pouch (assuming you'e got kids/grandkids, etc the right age)?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.