The Sewing Place

Wrist warmers

Ellabella

Wrist warmers
« on: December 30, 2022, 17:29:05 PM »
DD has problems with her wrists and needs to keep them warm and asked me for some new wrist warmers for work.

I usually knit them for her but I’m in the middle of
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/logwood-shawl
and know if I stop I won’t get started again, so I decided to sew her some.

I found https://sinclairpatterns.com/collections/womens-patterns/products/thumbhole-cuffs-add-on-pdf-sewing-pattern and made them with an attached cuff.  They give her warmth and support.

Think I might make myself some.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Renegade Sewist

Re: Wrist warmers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 17:53:01 PM »
@Ellabella those are nice. Question: how do they give her support? I checked the pattern, they all appear loose. Did you make them tight so the knit fabric provides some support? Asking for some achey hands.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 18:39:22 PM »
They look like a great scrapbuster  :thumb:  <--- trying on for size
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 20:28:16 PM »
@Renegade Sewist , I make these a tightish  fit.  When I use them as thumbhole cuffs they are much looser. I think I went down 3 sizes to get them where I wanted them. 

DD has de quervain's tenosynovitis and it is no longer responding to the steroid injections she has been having. She is waiting for an operation but who knows how long this will take with the state of the NHS.

If she keeps her wrists warm it is a real help.

@Ouryve they are the best scrap buster ever. These were made from scraps of scraps!  You can also get very fancy and colourblock them so you can use even smaller scraps.  :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 00:35:39 AM »
@Ellabella thanks for the additional information. I did some reading, that sounds awful. It must be horrible for your daughter. I hope these give her some comfort.

To make it worse I need to be bringing this up with my Rheumatologist. I decided to try the Finkelstein test that they use for diagnosis. Not only did it hurt like heck but both wrists are now a bit numb and tingling. This condition is common with inflammatory arthritis which I have. I've been having problems but just attributed it to "arthritis".
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.