The Sewing Place

Sewing table

So Chic

Sewing table
« on: December 31, 2022, 15:58:08 PM »
I’m thinking about buying a folding sewing table as I don’t have the space for a permanent table and wonder if anyone has any advice/views.  I have looked at a Horn table and there is another which is similar to the Horn but a lot cheaper.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

HenriettaMaria

Re: Sewing table
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 12:18:04 PM »
A second-hand gateleg table?  That's what I've used (inherited from great-aunt) for over 40 years.  Don't be tempted to go for an old table with pull-out leaves, though - the surface you put your machine on needs to be properly supported or at best it will jiggle horribly when you're sewing and at worst it will fracture!

When we were looking to move in the mid-00's I had fantasies about getting this one but the house we bought was a little too compact and the spare room would only accommodate the gateleg, so I never went down that path.  Still think it's gorgeous, though!

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 12:32:21 PM »
@HenriettaMaria    Thanks for the suggestion which would be good if I had the room but I'm looking for a folding table that I can keep in the spare room when not in use so I think a gateleg would be too big and not easy to move.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 12:36:18 PM »
I have one of these which is surprisingly sturdy - I usually have my overlocker and coverstitcher on it with no problems at all.  It folds very flat indeed.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 12:39:13 PM »
I have one like Acorn's and it is strong enough for any of my machines.  I use it for cutting out mostly and have a tape measure glued along one edge to measure remnants.  ( has also been a pasting table!)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 12:58:07 PM »
@Acorn  & @toileandtrouble
Thanks for your suggestions and I've had a look at these and would be suitable if I can find one a bit smaller.  I don't need it for cutting out as it is too low for me,  I cut out on my Horn table which is the right height.
So Chic

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 13:10:17 PM »
Found this in Ikea - when folded down it takes very little space

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/norden-gateleg-table-birch-90423887/

However, if you really want something that folds down to nothing and can be stashed, eg, under a bed, take a look at aluminium camping tables.  Some are sturdier than others so I wouldn't order one sight unseen, but if you have a camping emporium near you, it might be worth a visit.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 13:36:54 PM »
I have one of these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006D50RE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use it for all sorts including my Overlockers but

I also have the horn one which is a bit of a pain to move and to be honest with you I am not mad on. Plus

A very old one of these, which has been badly treated used at exhibitions etc and I still love it really easy to put up and down.

https://www.sewezi.com/sewing-table-and-accessories/portable/. I don’t love the purple legs though :laughing:

Hope some of this helps

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 19:18:41 PM »
I have one like @Celia  @So Chic very easy to drop and hide away and for me easy to cart up and downstairs.  It means as long as I have a plug socket available I can work anywhere, even outside if I wanted.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 13:50:04 PM »
@Celia & @Gernella   I've had a look at the Sewezi and I think that's the one I will buy rather than the Horn.

Thank you both for the advice.
So Chic

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 16:45:57 PM »
Very nice @So Chic love the carry bag on the videos.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 17:07:19 PM »
I had a look at this and I can't see how the free-arm feature would be usable with this table.   Maybe being a US product it's aimed squarely at the quilting market but if you were planning to hem narrow items, eg, cuffs, you'd need to confirm it's possible.  I see that Quilter's Quest, the UK distributor, is in Belfast so maybe best to give them a call and check.

I liked the adjustable-height cutting table.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 19:18:17 PM »
@HenriettaMaria  It is designed to make machines into a flatbed, but you can get a solid insert and use the machine as normal on top of the table, if you want to use the free-arm feature
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Celia

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 21:14:53 PM »
@HenriettaMaria  It is designed to make machines into a flatbed, but you can get a solid insert and use the machine as normal on top of the table, if you want to use the free-arm feature

That is what I did

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 22:36:38 PM »
I liked the adjustable-height cutting table.
So do I, but it is much more expensive than any of the other tables they sell.

OK I just checked it against the gate-leg dining table I use for cutting out (with a folding cardboard protector on top).
Wow, the Sewezi is BIG You would need a big space in your home to use it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:38:12 AM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.