The Sewing Place

Necchi 204d

Goldie

Necchi 204d
« on: January 03, 2023, 10:45:22 AM »
Hi, Has anyone got the Necchi 204d. It appears to have everything I need and is within my budget but I also need a quiet and reliable machine.
Thanks

Gernella

Re: Necchi 204d
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:15:23 AM »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 11:19:46 AM »
I don't have one nut I've looked at the spec and it's described as having a "semi metal chassis". Now if that just means it's a metal chassis with a plastic outer then that's fairly standard. If not, then you might find it doesn't last very long and, at £500, you would be hoping for a sturdy machine. I would be looking for a teardown to see what the deal is there. Will you really use all those Stitches?

Ergonomically, those pretty curves will make it harder to sew straight. Singers have the same issue. You want the weight of your fabric to be supported evenly as it's fed through.

The top speed (600 stitches per minute) leaves a bit to be desired but is less of an issue.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kad

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 11:31:51 AM »
There are 5 reviews on Sewingmachinesales.co.uk for this machine , 3 of these mention that it is quiet in use - although this is a very subjective assessment. I too would steer well away from such a 'curvy' machine - looks pretty but not a good design feature
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Goldie

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 13:18:53 PM »
Thanks all. It's a minefield isn't it and I have no idea what I'm doing. Now looking at a Brother innovis 150 . More than I wanted to spend.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 13:27:07 PM »
@Goldie I’d definitely recommend the Brother innovis range over a Necchi.  I’ve not used a modern Necchi sewing machine.  But have used one of their overlockers as I had to do a lesson on it for someone when I worked in a sewing shop.  It was absolutely dire, didn’t sew well and no instruction book in English for some reason.  I would also point out that it is unlikely you will find a decent dealers  that stocks  them. 
Don’t be swayed by the pretty colours and curvy shape.  That will get annoying after a while.

Can I ask what you are planning on sewing on the machine?   Do you already have a machine? 
If we know there may be alternatives.  Ultimately the choice has to be what you are comfortable with.  I would always suggest finding a dealer where you can try out a machine and get some advice.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 13:37:05 PM »
@Goldie , Gernella's advice to call Sewing Machines Direct was excellent. I needed a new machine in Lockdown and called to ask a question about a machine I had seen on their website - over £600 ponds worth. After speaking to them for a few minutes and explaining what I needed the machine to do he recommended another machine - an Elna Experience 520S this one which was nearly £300 cheaper. I have been extremely happy with it. This might not be the machine for you but you can't beat the expertise and advice you get from SMD

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 13:47:44 PM »
I had a Necchi back in the 1970s which I loved but had to sell due to moving to live abroad.   I seem to remember a couple of reviews of the modern Necchis which were not very favourable.  I agree with the suggestions made by others to contact Sewing Machines Direct or Sewing Machine World as either company will give good advice.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Goldie

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 13:59:03 PM »
Thank all. @Ohsewsimple . I make dog collar, treat bags etc. and would like the option to personalise them. I currently use a vintage husqvarna 19e which is lovely but very basic as it was made in 1964.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 14:07:48 PM »
@Goldie are your dog collars made of leather?  Are you working in thick stuff? 
Your vintage Husqvarna would be great for construction.  But I presume you want lettering. 
An alternative is to find someone to embroider that for you although it might not be cost effective. 
Lettering on these machines will not be the same  as embroidered letters.  You need to know that it will show up.

Goldie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 14:12:55 PM »
@Ohsewsimple
My husqvarna really needs repairing now, hence the decision to buy a new machine. The collars are fabric and webbing. I'd like to do everything myself and an embroidery machine is way out of my budget.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 17:20:05 PM »
@Goldie ok.  Just make sure the lettering is what you really want before buying a machine. 
It might also be a good idea to see how much it would cost to get the Husqvarna fixed.  They were nice machines.  Don’t be conned into giving it away.  My mum got conned into trading her old Husqvarna in for a pittance for a machine that was nowhere near as good.  I’m sure it was sold on for quite a good profit.  :angry:

Goldie

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 19:46:05 PM »
Would never sell my 19e. 😊

Goldie

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 20:29:15 PM »
Hi All. So I couldn't get my old husqvarna repaired, the lovely guy serviced it and set it on a permanent stitch width, I have no reverse stitch so ...I'm trying to decide between the innovis 150 and the singer HD 6850. Bearing in mind I make dog collars, so sewing through webbing...any thought? Thanks

Ouryve

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 20:51:00 PM »
The singer “HD” machines tend not to be anything of the sort. The brother is the better machine and likely to be at least as robust.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"