The Sewing Place

Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm

Elnnina

Re: Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm
« Reply #705 on: January 17, 2024, 15:12:50 PM »
I am here too, however I am trying to repair a seam in a school blazer that has come undone the whole length of the seam from the vent and has also come undone into the armhole seam.  This blazer has been bagged out, however they have very sneakily put an invisible zip in near the inside chest pocket, so I have somehow with difficulty opened the zip - it really was invisible - only the zip tag gave the game away - and have turned the blazer inside out through this, now I need to find my unpicker to open up more of the armhole seam so that the body seam can be opened properly so that I can sew this up to the top of the seam - talk about a huge fiddle.

Ouryve

« Reply #706 on: January 17, 2024, 15:35:04 PM »
It does sound fiddly, @Elnnina but the invisible zip to get into it all is a genius bit of design.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Elnnina

« Reply #707 on: January 17, 2024, 16:11:01 PM »
Now I am actually resewing that seam, the fact that I have been able to use the invisible zip opening to turn the blazer inside out has solved quite a few problems, first seam sewn, now about to tackle the underarm part of the armhole, then it is the lining.  The blazer is a Marks and Spencer school one and guess where it was made - India.  However the thread that they always seem to use is so thin and often it is a chain stitch, which as we all know once that starts unravelling it is a pain to try and stop, however, the fabric was stitched with an ordinary machine stitch thank goodness, not sure yet what and how the lining is stitched.  I am fighting ravelling fabric and lots of ironed on interfacing, some unravelling coarse weave stuff, some felt and it is horrible to say the least - nothing neatened at all on the actual blazer but guess what they have overlocked the seams on the lining.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #708 on: January 17, 2024, 16:34:30 PM »
I've assembled my coat lining, its black satin and a bit of a pain to cut and sew but should make a lovely lining for the coat

Lilian

« Reply #709 on: January 18, 2024, 18:54:09 PM »
I did a little bit of sewing yesterday.  I repaired a blue badge holder.  The firm plastic film on both sides had broken and fallen off, so I cut some plastic from a clear box lid and stitched it in place,  It is now sturdier than when it was new.
Willing but not always able :)

Kad

« Reply #710 on: January 24, 2024, 12:01:13 PM »
I'll be on a fabric shop expedition this afternoon, DH has his AAA scan at a clinic in the general direction so, as I'm driving, we'll head a little further north in pursuit of fabric   :devil:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

realale

« Reply #711 on: January 24, 2024, 12:03:20 PM »
I'm in Kidderminster having my hair done so don't think I'll be back in time to sew. May pop into a fabric place while I'm here. I'll see how I feel 😁
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #712 on: January 24, 2024, 12:08:29 PM »
Working on my jacket later. 

Ouryve

« Reply #713 on: January 24, 2024, 12:46:05 PM »
Not sure if I'll be doing it between 2 and 4 but I'm cutting out all the denim its of my creston jeans, today. Despite seeming rather robust, the denim is proving quite easy to cut and is going a long way because I'm cutting single layer. Not to so easy to pin, though!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

So Chic

« Reply #714 on: January 24, 2024, 14:56:26 PM »
I had to stop halfway through cutting out my top and I'm going to finish cutting out facings and interfacing so that I can start sewing my top but probably won't start sewing until tomorrow.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ouryve

« Reply #715 on: January 24, 2024, 17:39:35 PM »
I managed to cut out the big pieces and some of the small pieces of my jeans. The rest and all the facings etc will probably have to wait until the weekend.

fajita

« Reply #716 on: January 24, 2024, 17:53:28 PM »
I’ve made my bedroom curtains, today. They just need hanging and hemming.

Ouryve

« Reply #717 on: January 24, 2024, 17:58:01 PM »
I love that fabric - and your peacock wallpaper, @fajita

Ouryve

« Reply #718 on: January 31, 2024, 16:32:16 PM »
I did this afternoon, this morning, this week. Managed to spend a couple of hours working on my jeans. I had hoped to put the zip in but realised that the zip I had was about 2cm too long and I hate trimming zips even more than I hate putting them in. I have given Husband the mission to pop over to Boyes and grab the next size down for me and I can put that in on Friday. I used the time I would have spent on sewing the zip in to make the belt loops and hem the tops of the back pockets, instead.

realale

« Reply #719 on: January 31, 2024, 16:33:32 PM »
Anyone do any sewing today? I adapted my jeans pattern, cut it out in spare fabric and sewed up the toile.
So many beers, so little time.