The Sewing Place

Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm

Elnnina

Re: Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm
« Reply #765 on: March 06, 2024, 21:37:13 PM »
Thank you Ouryve, I have only used the coverstitch on  my Bernina in the shop and when I got it home took the conversion part off and put it away, so this really will be an experiment thus my getting something in knit fabric that I can chop up and play with to make sure it is working properly, and I can get used to how it stitches and also to be careful at the  end of a run as if I am not careful the coverstitching will unravel all too quickly.  I do not have spare decent fabric so I need to get this right first time.  Also I normally use a three thread overlock, so going back to a four thread and seeing how that behaves on knit fabric again will be a first, and yes I have a differential setting. 

I am just so lucky in having these two Berninas, the smaller one which I tend to use for day to day stuff I bought three weeks before my daughter's wedding as my then Elna was playing up big time, and I needed everything finished.  I was happy with that machine, and then an elderly friend of mine was rather envious of my new acquisition - she had a very old Bernina square shaped base overlocker and no amount of trying to adjust this would stop it from continuously breaking the thread, so it was dispatched to a place where they refurbish old machines and send them to Africa.  My friend was then left without an overlocker and bless her she thought that her age 80+ she could not justify spending a tidy amount on a new Bernina overlocker, but fate stepped in.  The shop I bought my little overlocker in was selling off the top of the range mighty big Bernina overlocker/coverstitcher it had only be used for demonstrations, and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and thus I sold my little overlocker to my friend.  Sadly this friend became terminally ill and she wanted me to have this back, and it wasn't until I picked it up that I realised that she had never used it - such a shame, so that is how I have two machines.  The larger of the two machines does a lot more than just overlocking and coverstitching and of course I have yet to try those out even though I have had this machine for a long time.

Now yesterday whilst in the charity shop there was another elderly lady who mentioned she had a newish Bernina sewing machine, and she was surprised that I wanted some knit fabric to play with on the machine, and I said I always do a test run on seams, buttonholes etc. on  anything I sew, she obviously doesn't.  I learnt the hard way back when I bought my Bernina Artista and did around 21 test buttonholes, - 21 because they were not right, and the reason was because the sensor in the actual machine up by the needle was covered in dust/debris  but I did not know that then.  so now I always make sure when using that machine that it is clean and clear of debris before any buttonhole test is made and then when I am actually sewing the buttonholes.

I am hoping that by using the overlocker to assemble the garment will indeed be much quicker than using the sewing machine - but only time will tell, and also whether I like the finished look, both on the main seams and the coverstitching on the hems.

Ouryve

« Reply #766 on: March 06, 2024, 22:52:51 PM »
Using the overlocker for the seams is fast but it's harder to be spot in with intersections eg at underarms (and I am a bit of a stickler for precision, it seems) . It's rare that I use a fabric with more than about 30% stretch so I tend to treat it as non stretch and straight stitch at reduced tension, first. Also makes for a more robust seam.

I can understand your friend not wanting to fork out for a new Bernina overlocker - I paid over £500 for Bernie and she's the base model. It's a shame she couldn't make use of your machine, though. I expect she found it intimidating, even if it wasn't much different.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #767 on: March 07, 2024, 09:05:54 AM »
@Elnnina i am sure you will love playing with your newly discovered machines, I almost exclusively use stretch fabrics and always use my overlocker for the seams, I do use cover stitch but not on everything.  Have fun

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #768 on: March 13, 2024, 09:50:52 AM »
Hope those who are able to come along to Sewing Club this afternoon have a lovely time!

I'm still away on holiday without my sewing machine, though I have been collecting sewing goodies on my travels.

Ouryve

« Reply #769 on: March 13, 2024, 14:32:51 PM »
I'm here, making a proper start on my Helmi blouse. Currently swearing at some button band origami and the fact that the written instructions and pictures bear very little relation to each other, in places.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

coffeeandcake

« Reply #770 on: March 13, 2024, 14:55:40 PM »
I'm currently attaching some sleeves.

Bjay

« Reply #771 on: March 13, 2024, 15:50:06 PM »
Sorry. I ended up mowing the main grass. A job I never, ever usually do. It needed to be done while it was dry and at moment OH is not able to do anything :(
Came in shattered, changed   walked into sewing room and flopped.
So no sewing bur I will make up for it tomorrow .
And I did walk into the sewing room
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 15:52:58 PM by Bjay »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lowena

« Reply #772 on: March 13, 2024, 16:03:41 PM »
I've done 2 hours on my quilt
Triumph of hope over experience :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #773 on: March 13, 2024, 16:47:53 PM »
I done a couple of hours on my dressing gown and cleaning the overlocker.  The pockets and belt loops are on, the sides done, just(!) the hemming, topstitching and fastening down the facings.  I'll be glad to clear it all up at last.
Not looking too bad though.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Elnnina

« Reply #774 on: March 13, 2024, 17:01:01 PM »
Well I managed to get a decent row of coverstitching, tried it on the fabric of my M&S thermal vests and yet again just rubbish.  Consulted the manual yet again, and then had a brilliant idea to go looking for a video on You Tube, so have just finished watching that and they used the normal overlocking foot for coverstitch instead of the special one, so that will be my next try.  I did try using the wire needle threader - still quite awkward mostly because of the special coverstitch foot, so tomorrow afternoon i will try again.  The woolly nylon thread kept on breaking and thus was unthreaded  - quite why I don't know, but I will persevere. 

Another question is why does this keep on tunnelling - should I be loosening the tension on the lower looper thread?

The machine is the Bernina 2500DCET combined overlocker and coverstitcher.

Ouryve

« Reply #775 on: March 13, 2024, 17:24:32 PM »
Unfortunately, @Elnnina it looks like you have yourself a rather stubborn machine. This is one of the discussions I found. https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/machine/2513

It looks likely to be nothing you're doing wrong.

realale

« Reply #776 on: March 13, 2024, 18:43:50 PM »
After making a list of things I want to look at/ buy tomorrow I went to the sea shanty singing group. I can't sing in tune but we have such fun it doesn't matter.
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #777 on: March 13, 2024, 21:03:16 PM »
Managed to finish the cardigan I started yesterday.  Think I might put buttons on this one but need it for tomorrow so it will be fine without for the moment. 

Bjay

« Reply #778 on: March 14, 2024, 16:25:18 PM »
Well 24 hours late but have sewn the rows for the centre panel. 
I was hoping to put it  together but some blocks needed tweaking to make them fit together
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ouryve

« Reply #779 on: March 20, 2024, 14:21:01 PM »
Been a bit busy, today, but I'm at least maki g a start on the stand collar for my blouse. Not in the order in the destructions, though. That way swearing lies.