Lowena

Re: Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm
« Reply #780 on: March 20, 2024, 15:45:23 PM »
Making progress with my quilt
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Elnnina

« Reply #781 on: March 20, 2024, 16:37:47 PM »
Well I have spent this afternoon experimenting with the coverstitch again, this time using some layers of Avalon on top of the knit fabric and I have also loosened the two needle threads - first attempt on some calico resulted in a lovely flat appearance, then on to some knit fabric, and I am awaiting for the fabric to dry as Avalon dissolves in water, but first impressions it is better than my first attempts.

Now I already knew I had several packets of this Avalon stored away in the back of my room, so I haven't had to go out and buy some - I only have Avalon so cannot comment on what other brands like this would be like.

Another tip I picked up over the weekend from watching Nancy Zieman's video on Sewing Knits with Confidence is to use some paper backed fusible web between the layers of knit and that gave the hem some firmness - but I am not sure whether that was just a temporary use and would wash out later on.  There were two parts to these videos by Nancy - I have the book on order but I do not think the DVDs of this are available over here in the UK.

Ouryve

« Reply #782 on: March 20, 2024, 16:51:26 PM »
Re: the fusible web suggestion, I think you would want somethjng that would wash away, @Elnnina or else you would end up with a rather too stiff hem with no stretch.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Flobear

« Reply #783 on: March 20, 2024, 17:12:53 PM »
Managed 45 mins in the Sewing room this afters while waiting to collect Pepper from the groomer. Finished 3 more blocks for Improv. quilt, unpicked one from Monday that I did a bit wrong and started another of my own design.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Hideout Hen

« Reply #784 on: March 20, 2024, 19:25:14 PM »
I spent most of the day gardening as it was a sunny 22c.
Also managed to fit in some sewing. Another bag made from a recycled sofa!
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

realale

« Reply #785 on: March 20, 2024, 19:53:22 PM »
I was here playing testing out features with my new overlocker.  :D
I also finished the last embroidery block and cut out a knit top. Quite productive really.
So many beers, so little time.

Sheilago

« Reply #786 on: March 20, 2024, 23:11:10 PM »
I sewed most of my second scrap quilt top together. Now I have to try to find backing for them both.

Lilian

« Reply #787 on: March 21, 2024, 14:07:08 PM »
Yesterday I made a start on Simplicity S9702. This is the dress I want for a wedding this year.  I have made the bodice so far.
Willing but not always able :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #788 on: March 21, 2024, 14:16:09 PM »
Finished the hems of my sweater knit dress just now, a final press and it'll be ready to wear.
Still learning

Elnnina

« Reply #789 on: March 21, 2024, 16:15:36 PM »
My sample of coverstitching and using some layers of Avalon has worked, so much better.  Whilst I only ran the sample under some water and did not properly wash it the part where the Avalon was feels a little stiff compared to the other half of the piece which did not have the Avalon.  At least that is encouraging and I will go ahead and 'doctor' my vest sleeves and fingers crossed nothing goes haywire.

I agree with what you say Ouryve about some webbing inside a hem on knit fabrics, but that is what Nancy Zieman was using, but I am not sure whether this was a wash away or not.  I would have to go and sit through viewing her videos again to find that spot.  By the way she had a fantastic iron which she was using on a small ironing pad right by her sewing machine, this iron to all appearances was just sitting flat on the pad, she lifted it up, used it and put it back down flat again and then suddenly the iron lifted itself up off the pad - some very special iron - never seen anything like this before.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #790 on: March 21, 2024, 17:12:03 PM »
We've had new windows in the whole house, sewing room was done this morning.
I packed the machines away and cleared the windowsill and area near the window for the fitters last night.
This afternoon I had a good vacuum round, including all the machines and have put everything tidy. Just need to decide what to sew next!

Flobear

« Reply #791 on: March 21, 2024, 17:48:01 PM »
New windows are fab @SewRuthieSews .  They made such a huge difference here.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2024, 18:25:08 PM »
@Elnnina Barnyarns sell 'pop up' irons.  Rather pricey (£170 ish) but I suppose that depends on what you usually pay for an iron.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #793 on: March 22, 2024, 10:12:37 AM »
I have one of the pop up irons and they are brilliant , I bought mine in Watford over 12 years or so ago from a department store that sold off things from different suppliers.  I paid £29 for one and £19 for the other as it had an open box. The second one I bought for a friend.

They are the proper make, different colour  but I don’t think they were ever marketed in this country, the ones I got were probably a trial run.

Elnnina

« Reply #794 on: March 22, 2024, 11:54:36 AM »
Ploshkin and Celia thanks for that information, I had never seen anything like these irons before, and of course made so much sense to have an iron flat on your pressing board if it is next to you when sewing, but I am not paying that price.  I have enough irons of my own to use, and I think one automatically switches itself off if left alone for any length of time.