The Sewing Place

Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm

Tamnymore

Re: Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm
« Reply #840 on: April 17, 2024, 16:56:58 PM »
Working on my Katherine Tilton top. Managed to catch in the pocket in one side seam so unpicking was done ...  more than once. Fortunately the other side seam was fine possibly because I'd practised on the first seam! Now doing shoulders and then will try it on - hoping for no unpleasant surprises!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #841 on: April 17, 2024, 18:02:40 PM »
Looks tidy compared to mine @Bodgeitandscarper. I have so much dumped in there now I have to step over stuff to get to the chair- which is piled up  ><
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #842 on: April 17, 2024, 18:29:03 PM »
Doesn’t look too bad @Bodgeitandscarper

I’ve pinned sleeve linings in place on my coat.  Was going to stitch them in but decided to tack them and see how they were.  It’s also going to be easier to sew them like that.  But that’s for another day.

TangledBloke

« Reply #843 on: April 18, 2024, 00:19:51 AM »
I managed to revisit the waistband increase, and sew down the other side of the wedge. I haven't done the return on the top yet.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'm reasonably happy with most of it, but at the apex there are some visible stitches. I'm not sure if the tension wasn't enough, or in I just need to do some (bah, forgot the name) kind of figure eight stitches between the two seams, to pull them together a bit. Feel free to fill in my mental blanks, or throw forth other ideas which might tidy up that bottom end a bit.

Still, not bad for a first attempt.

Lachica

« Reply #844 on: April 18, 2024, 07:30:31 AM »
Very neat @TangledBloke . I don't know what the proper name is but I call it ladder stitch, I use it to close small gaps without thread showing on the RS. However, presumably you'll wear a top which covers the insert, so as long as the stitching is strong those tiny visible stitches will do the job fine. Anyone close enough to see them probably shouldn't be there, at least in public.
Mary

TangledBloke

« Reply #845 on: April 18, 2024, 09:20:06 AM »
@Lachica crudely drawn, the thread path I mean, is almost like two opposing runs of backstitch

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

If I run that down the back just towards the point, it should take a little of the tension off the fabric at the front.

After fiddling around with it, I probably also need to pleat below the point slightly, which will bring the two seam allowances together. With a 5mm seam allowance either side of the cut, that leaves 10mm of material width bunched up under the infill piece, which is probably not helping matters. If I pull that bunch together into a pleat immediately below the apex, then do that curlicuetype stitch above, hopefully that will fix it up nicely.

As for covering it, more often than not, I tuck shirts and tees in. That said, the belt will cover the waistband, so there'll only be the point visible. As you say, probably not even noticeable... but if I can bull it up with a few extra stitches, it's worth an extra couple of minutes of faff. :P

Lachica

« Reply #846 on: April 18, 2024, 17:14:33 PM »
That's herringbone stitch. Ladder stitch doesn't cross over. https://images.app.goo.gl/TchzCAomESxfNbMt6
Mary

TangledBloke

« Reply #847 on: April 18, 2024, 18:21:36 PM »
Ahh! Thank you!

Ouryve

« Reply #848 on: April 24, 2024, 14:31:59 PM »
I'm a bit more with it, this afternoon and working on the yoke of my Nicks blouse. I'm glad I had the sense to leave it alone, yesterday. I just need to remember to remove the big piece of tape saying FACING! before I turn it all the right way out.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Elnnina

« Reply #849 on: April 24, 2024, 15:02:37 PM »
Still trying to put my sewing room into a workable space again, why is it whenever we sew using machines they always seem to generate a lot of dust and debris and clutter,  but it is fun to be able to sew so mustn't grumble about clearing up.

Silver Rose

« Reply #850 on: April 24, 2024, 15:42:10 PM »
Done a bit more to the striped top but not feeling great, it looks wonky to me so no photo!  Had enough for today.
Still learning

Bjay

« Reply #851 on: April 24, 2024, 16:11:37 PM »
Added 3/4 of sashing this afternoon.
Still nit sure what's next
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 16:37:56 PM by Bjay »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #852 on: April 24, 2024, 17:19:13 PM »
Thought I’d do something in the SR but had to change plans.  Got a headache some gave it up.  :(

Tamnymore

« Reply #853 on: April 24, 2024, 17:22:20 PM »
I've put the collar on my Katherine Tilton top but inevitably I've been distracted by other things!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #854 on: April 24, 2024, 18:56:25 PM »
I've unpicked some old curtains into fabric panels for reuse at some point. Most likely for Auntie A to make into Moresbags.
Also looked at some of my older patterns but not really come to any conclusion about what I want to sew next.