The Sewing Place

Ways to wear work clothing out of the office

SewRuthieSews

Ways to wear work clothing out of the office
« on: January 16, 2023, 22:35:25 PM »
The pandemic wfh followed by redundancy means I no longer go to work in an office.
Even before the pandemic I had changed jobs within the company to a less suity role.

I had a big clear out of things that didn't fit well before I moved house and I had another go recently when the spare room wardrobe rail fell down with the weight!
I am left with a couple of jackets, a couple of trouser suits and some smart classic trousers all of which fit OK but which were previously office clothes.
I also have some special occasion clothes (dresses, coats etc but they are for weddings, parties etc)

So far I wore one suit jacket with a dress to a funeral, a trouser suit to another funeral and a jacket with jeans out for brunch.
I suppose I could wear the smart trousers for general wear at home once its spring (they are a bit thin in this cold weather).
I seem to have already got rid of the smarter blouses and amalgamated the others into my general wardrobe.

Left to my own devices I just live in casual stuff, so am open to suggestions to integrate some of these other pieces.

Ouryve

Re: Ways to wear work clothing out of the office
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 22:57:20 PM »
I would honestly pick out a few favourites and pass on the rest. You've not missed them, so far.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 23:22:35 PM »
I think if you’re comfier in more casual clothes then it’s time to get rid of most of them.  Maybe keep a jacket, although I’m sure you have some you’ve made anyway! :)

Cazlyn

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 08:30:10 AM »
I agree with the above, keep a few bits for occasions when you might need them but get rid of the rest.  I did the same when I stopped working. I now have a pair of black trousers, good for funerals, meetings or evening dos, a couple of jackets and a couple of blouses/tops - my wardrobe is much smaller.
Crafting is my happy place

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 09:46:19 AM »
Think outside the box a bit before getting rid of stuff.  Things look officy to you because that is why you got them! What you need to do is think what of these things feel comfortable!
There is no reason why you cannot wear the smart trousers with a casual top or a suit jacket with jeans and a t shirt.  They are just a pair of trousers and a jacket at the end of the day.
There is no reason why you cannot look smart(ish) while at home, the thing is to be comfy with what you are wearing!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 10:26:16 AM »
We wore company bought blouses with a small logo on (tax benefit) plus our own jacket/skirt.  They reminded me of work so they all went.  I hate navy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Missie

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 10:31:39 AM »
I would say keep a few key smart pieces, eg a jacket, a pair of trousers and a skirt (if you have one) and some dresses.  There are always going to be occasions when you need smart wear, but use them in a different way.  Eg, going out for lunch, jeans and the jacket, trousers and a smart cardigan.  Going out in the evening, smart trousers and a sparkly top etc.  Personally, I'd ditch any blouses as they are too smart IMO, but that is just me!

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 12:22:22 PM »
Not sure what the styles of your trousers are @SewRuthieSews but wider legged are 'in' just now. I wear what you would call office trousers a lot of the time but with a casual sweater or layering thin polo neck and a (short) cardigan. A game changer is to wear with smart trainers (pull on are good)even try some with a platform sole as they give you a bit more height and are super comfy. Wear your sweaters a bit shorter if the pant legs are straight or wide and maybe 'French tuck' them at the front. Maybe even reshape the legs a little to alter shape, a half inch from the thigh - knee can really change the look if they are wider there than below. Wear them a bit longer than you would normally do as well!

Blouses I'd agree with @Missie about, unless you have a good cotton white shirt that you can wear with jeans, tucked at front if you like or left open with a T shirt (tuck that at front). Maybe keep 1 or 2 in a colour or print that would accent a good jacket and trousers worn together.
Jackets wear them as a blazer over a longer dress with trainers for a more casual look. Try them over any dresses that you have either summer or winter.

Anything you are really attached to but doesn't seem 'to go' right at this moment keep but shrink wrap them and put them out of sight for a season or two. I've come back to such items years later and have worn them on repeat.

One thing I would say is that if you don't like yourself in them now or when you've re styled them, get rid right away as you'll never feel good wearing them however much they cost or how many hours it took to make them up!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:55:22 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 13:52:44 PM »
I had rails of power suits in the 90's, almost none of which fitted after DS was born (not so much weight gain as permanent shape change!).  Then in the noughties the dress code in IT became much more smart-casual and the power suits went.  Before long the trouser suits will go because I really don't wear them and, besides, most of them are dry clean only and who's got the time for that nowadays?  So, I will be left with two skirt suits suitable for funerals.

Clear them out.  I know you will feel slightly guilty given the money/time you spent on them originally, but if they're no use to you let them be given a second life with someone entering the job market who will appreciate them.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 14:34:50 PM »
most of them are dry clean only and who's got the time for that nowadays? 

@HenriettaMaria  I never dry clean anything.  It all goes in the washing machine, on a delicate wash if needs be.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 16:07:21 PM »
@Missie   Quite so - since DS was born the rule has been, if it's not machine washable it doesn't get bought.  Some of my 'funeral wear' is older than DS, though!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 16:41:24 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, very much appreciated.

Reading through it I realised that I'd already done the big purge 2 years ago, there's nothing dry clean only, no blouses (only cotton shirts which can go more casual e.g. plain white or small floral) and the trousers are simple front zip, slash pockets with a straight leg style which could be worn for anything.

In the last job I'd gone to knit tops with trousers and a cardigan, and then we just worked from home for ages so I had been gradually donating things anyway. I also went through menopause around the same time and struggled with hot flushes, so anything tight or the polyester blouses were all gone because of that.

So its a lot less of an issue than I'd thought I had.

I'll work through wearing things and see if a few more need to go as I do that.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 16:44:26 PM »
Some really great ideas from @Helen M. When I gave up office work I let my work clothes hang in the wardrobe for a year & if I still couldn't face wearing something it went. I currently try to dress smart/casual most of the time & I like to wear something nice even to go shopping. It makes me feel tidy & somewhat well presented. I do like a nice top & jacket with jeans and smart trainer type shoes.

Missie

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 17:42:19 PM »
@Missie    if it's not machine washable it doesn't get bought. 

If it says dry clean, it still goes in the washing machine.  I won't not buy something that says dry clean because it is dry clean but I won't send it off to the dry cleaners, it goes in the washing machine.

elisep

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 09:23:24 AM »
My work clothes often perform double duty!

I might wear a blouse with jeans, or a blazer over a white tshirt, jeans and white tennis shoes/sand shoes.
Trousers, depending on the style, might look nice paired with a tshirt and tennis shoes.

I am lucky that my work's dress policy is more office casual than corporate attire, so no suits here! I often wear casual dresses in summer and dress them up with the right shoes, jewellery and be being a bit more exciting with my hair  :laughing:
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres