The Sewing Place

The perfect wrap

Catllar

The perfect wrap
« on: January 17, 2023, 23:44:15 PM »
I've an idea to make a wrap dress to wear over cigarette pants. I have patterns for neither. I have fabric! I have a blue andsort of caramel print jersey-ish knit and some caramel bottom weight that is crying out to be slim fit pants.  My eyes have gone crossed looking through the indies for patterns that make me go -yessss!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

So Chic

Re: The perfect wrap
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 08:53:35 AM »
The Diana von Furstenberg wrap dress pattern is my go to but I think it’s out of print as it’s over 40 years old.  Both Vogue and Butterick have patterns that are almost identical.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 13:53:15 PM »
The Diana von Furstenberg wrap dress pattern is my go to but I think it’s out of print as it’s over 40 years old.  Both Vogue and Butterick have patterns that are almost identical.

Didn't look at big 4 but I'll have a look now.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 14:11:34 PM »
I like this  https://sinclairpatterns.com/collections/womens-patterns/products/betty-faux-wrap-knit-dress-pdf  but you probably want a full wrap rather than a false one.

Gernella

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 17:11:45 PM »
Try Etsy @Catllar

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1100890503/1976-vintage-vogue-sewing-pattern-wrap?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=diane+von+furstenberg+wrap+dress+pattern&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&pro=1&edd=1&organic_search_click=1

They seem to have a lot of vintage patterns available, bit dearer than big 4 though :S.

I just looked on there and once I'd got over the shock I decided no, I'll find another and lo and behold found one in the depths of Style Arc.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 17:13:36 PM »
I like this  https://sinclairpatterns.com/collections/womens-patterns/products/betty-faux-wrap-knit-dress-pdf  but you probably want a full wrap rather than a false one.

Yes you're right, I want a full wrap and one I can fasten with a button, no belt, so I'm  considering one I found in the depths of Style Arc. Don't know how I missed it first time round.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 08:45:54 AM »

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »
Will someone please tell me how to wear a wrap dress without being indecent or resorting to a safety pin to hold it together!  I like the designs but they don't like me.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 10:20:48 AM »
@BrendaP The biggest mistake is believing a wrap dress does not need an FBA!  Once you take the girlies into account and adjust accordingly the wrap bit should cover all discreetly!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 14:45:19 PM »
Love the Kate dress and also the Lea. Have pattern for I think both but never made up. The Brigid is more modern and doesn't have a belt though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 09:25:53 AM »
I made this one a while ago https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/14051 in a stretchy viscose jersey, the long sleeve option. I straightened the hem and made the neck/front band wider so it was very respectable, no cleavage. You could easily use an alternative waist fastening. And go down one size.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:28:50 AM by Vezelay »

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 09:41:01 AM »
I'm the same, @BrendaP  ! I love the look of wrap dresses but they look terrible on me.  I have low slung huge b**bs and also no waist so look dreadful in anything which ties/wraps/buttons around my middle.  I've tried several different kinds - always make an FBA on everything - but no dice.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 09:53:19 AM »
There is a definite need for more adjustment as my booby self can confirm.  I am 2/3 sizes bigger up top than down below and it is hard to get the wrap done right and I spent ages doing it a few years ago.  Now I have lost weight I am planning to get another pattern sorted in the next few months as they are so easy to wear I miss them. 
I think part of the adaptation I did was a slight curve out across the boob area to cover the ladies more discreetly as well as an FBA.  I know I wore them to school so I certainly wasn't looking like a sex bomb in them  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2023, 15:32:47 PM »
I went for the Millicent SA and I'll alter the sleeves.