The Sewing Place

TSP's Official Stashbusting Thread for 2023

SewRuthieSews

TSP's Official Stashbusting Thread for 2023
« on: January 18, 2023, 13:08:25 PM »
we have a few members who are Stash busting this year.

here's a thread for you to encourage each other along the way!

SewRuthieSews

Re: TSP's Official Stashbusting Thread for 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 13:11:41 PM »
Stash reduction, has definitely been a goal of mine in the past, but I'm not really targeting that this year.

I think @Ann, @b15erk and @Sew Swarley are planning to stash bust together though. More power to your elbow!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 15:17:17 PM »
This has started well for me.  I've used about 4 metres making a knit dress, and a slip to go under it.  Next up is either another dress from a beauutiful knit I came across, or a coat I've been putting off due to issues with the fabric, which has a slight twist.

It would be nice to wear these fabrics, instead of looking at them in a drawer!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 15:22:40 PM »
I’m getting a good start also. I’ve sewn up 3.6 meters of fabric and have started a kit I bough about 15 years ago. I’m enjoying watching the fabric I have be sewn into neat things.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 19:45:23 PM »
I really, really want to stash bust.  I know that all the fabrics I have are fabrics I want to use but when I see something I want to make I can never find anything suitable.  I have taken a different approach this year, gone through all the old patterns and teamed that with fabric from the stash ready to go.  The only down side here is actually doing the sewing  :laughing: Can I mention I have used 1 metre so far this year and that is more than I thought I would do by now  :D
Am I supposed to know how many metres I have?
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ann

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 20:14:36 PM »
@Bumblebuncher,  how you keep track is up to you. Meters, yards, item sewn. It’s your call.

I’m making a microwave bag for baking potatoes in. That’s another .3 meter under the needle. Not done as I have to finish quilting it. Hopefully tomorrow it will be done.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 20:59:06 PM »
@Ann Thank goodness, I was just looking (found some more PJ fabric so may sew that up tomorrow as I am sadly lacking in PJ's) and realised there is about 30 metres a drawer and errrr 8 drawers  :rolleyes: (lets not mention the rolls in the airing cupboard)!
I believe I need help  :embarrassed:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 22:31:38 PM »
So stash busters, glad there are a few who have caught Ann's vision, wonderful!

In terms of what makes it 'stash' is sort of your call, but anything you've had for at least 6 months, I would say.
There is stuff in my fabric resources which has moved house with me several times, that's definitely 'stash', anything I've bought since I lived here ( 1 year, 4 months) is a bit more fresh.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 23:10:25 PM »

In terms of what makes it 'stash' is sort of your call, but anything you've had for at least 6 months, I would say.
There is stuff in my fabric resources which has moved house with me several times, that's definitely 'stash', anything I've bought since I lived here ( 1 year, 4 months) is a bit more fresh.

Oh that is good, so if I buy anything new it doesn't count  :D

Grabs the microphone;

Stashbusters!
If there's something strange
In your sewing room
Who you gonna call?
Stash busters

If there's something weird
And it don't look good
What you gonna do?
Stashbusters!

I ain't 'fraid of no posts
I ain't 'fraid of no posts

If you're seeing things
Running through your head
What fabric will you use?
Stashbusters!

An invisible seam
On your machine bed
Who you gonna call?
Stashbuster's

Come on let's get sewing
Bustin' makes us feel good

I ain't 'raid of no sewing
I ain't 'fraid of no sewing
I ain't 'fraid to sew!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 23:24:14 PM by Bumblebuncher »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 23:27:18 PM »
Er yes @Bumblebuncher.(I mean the 30m etc., not the song)
My name is toileandtrouble and I am a fabric addict...I really need to join.
My oldest piece is  a woollen skirt length my MIL bought me almost 50 years ago. I have actually been considering making it up in recent months. Some shirt lengths from the early days of Crofts Mill.
 What is the longest serving made-up piece anyone has? OH still has a disgraceful old overcoat I made in the early 70s.  I have let down the sleeves (raglan sleeves partially absorbed by a wider chest) and repaired the buttonholes that had felt the strain, but he won't part with it.  It was a piece of real Crombie cloth and totally windproof. Good for walking out to the supermarket on dark winter evenings.
Even older I think is the bag for Scrabble pieces from an offcut from the door curtain which I made for my parents. I have a picture but can't reduce the size on this tablet.  Might add it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 23:30:06 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 03:10:10 AM »
@Bumblebuncher , you are a kook. I like that in a person. We'd be fast friends in real life.  :thumb:

So ladies I know some of you have heard the story I call "The Fabric Feeding Frenzy". For the rest, gather round amongst the piles, bins and rolls of fabric to hear the tale.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, about 2003, I had a friend named Debra. We met at Fiber Guild and had similar interests. She sewed garments, like I did, dyed fabric and was an avid quilter. She tried valiantly to get me into quilting but that came later. Debra lived in a 1920s mansion, close to 6000 square feet. She had a sewing room and a fabric room. The fabric room had at least 100 big tubs of fabric. Several additional rooms the closets were full of fabric and of course there was more fabric in the sewing room. She bought at yard sales, online, eBay and sales in the shops. She was a math teacher.

We would go shopping together, as one does. One crisp October day there was an excellent sale at Joann, one of the national big box fabric and craft shops. As a teacher she got a discount and she had a secondary 20% off coupon that could be added on. We searched the store with a keen eye. Clearance fabric an extra 50% off. Muslin, calico I believe to you gals, 75% off. Basic fusible interfacing 4 yards for $1. Yup, two still cellowrapped bolts of the muslin into the cart. Quilt fabric, tencel, rayon, knits, linen, we heaped it in. She taught me the phrase "I'll take the bolt." It gets easier the more you say it.

We left, triumphant and headed to a home decor fabric store. We'll. They had a new buyer and were totally revamping every thing. They were marking things down directly to clearance prices, no intermediate markdowns. Tapestry fabric from $25-$30 yard down to $1, $2 or $3. Dupioni silk from $12 to $2. All kinds of jacquard and brocade same thing. We bought a lot. I went back the next day and they said my friend had just left. Reverse that again a day or two later. Some things we split.

All in all over the course of 8 or 9 days I bought 300 yards of fabric. Yikes. That includes muslin and interfacing. Oh, it came to $300. Yes, I still have most of it. Yes I have bought additional fabric since then but none recently. Yes I haven't been sewing in a while.

They moved to Idaho shortly after that. I miss her but she was a bad influence.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

realale

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 08:59:33 AM »
Great @Bumblebuncher !!   :laughing:  I sang along with you. Is that now  TSP's official song for all karaoke gatherings? Or should we sing it at the beginning of each weekly sewing club?  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 09:57:11 AM »
@Renegade Sewist I think you are right on the friends thing... I buy bolts  :laughing:
I managed to get most of them down to 10 metres or less over the years of panto sewing, just have four bolts left in the airing cupboard now!  There is this place I know of in Wales that I used to visit online a lot! :embarrassed:

Celia

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 10:02:58 AM »
Love your song @Bumblebuncher

I have managed 2 metres of fleece only about 6 months old but bulky so it counts Yes? A bit of a cheat as they became 4 smallish throws 2 for the backs of leather chairs and two for the seats of office style chairs but they did need hemming all the way round and where a pain due to shedding.

plus a remnant for the oven gloves actually 2 remnant as they are lined with an old piece  of red fabric which I have had for years

Not bad for less than a month

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 10:31:40 AM »
Ah ha @Celia is actually using some of her fabric goodies, well done!