The Sewing Place

Overlocker needles

Bumblebuncher

Overlocker needles
« on: January 19, 2023, 13:12:48 PM »
This is me enquiring and doubtful I wouldn't actually do it as I really do struggle threading my overlocker quickly.
Does anyone here change their needles when overlocking stretch or do you all just keep the same needles in?
It crossed my  mind as I dutifully changed the needle on my sewing machine for stretch fabric that I never even thought of doing it on the overlocker!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

Re: Overlocker needles
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 13:19:59 PM »
I use the same needle(s) as I have in my main machine. I don't change them for new ones as often, though - just stick already used ones in the needle cushion behind the gubbins flap for next time I need them.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 13:24:18 PM »
I think it might depend on you overlocker I never change mine for different needles and I use 90s in my machine even on fine fabrics.

It is a babylock Gloria

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 13:43:44 PM »
I use ballpoint needles for stretch/jersey but sharps for wovens.  Mine is a late-90's Singer and when I bought it from the lamented emporium of Robert Theobold, that's what he advised and it works for me.  He also gave me a healthy stock of needles, the sweetie!

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 14:25:22 PM »
I use mine for work more than not.  Because I do such a variety of jobs (and even my own sewing) I am likely to have jeans, ITY, silk knit, linens and everything else, I change them often.

I tend to group them together so I use more time on a needle.  Work wise I do no more then 4 garments on one set.  Personally, I do about 6 or 7 before changing.  I use either 12, 14 or 16 size needles.   My overlock, cover stitch (Brother) and main hem machine/back up (201) use the same needles and I buy them by the hundreds in sharps and BP.  I buy either 100 needles at a time or 500. 

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 14:37:23 PM »
Mine is an ancient Brother but almost identical to the famouse 1034D but a metal casing. I use various sizes of normal needles on everything.

I had the 'brainwave' of thinking as I use the Janome 'blue tip' needle on 90% of everything on the normal machine (it's a sort of stretch/ballpoint) I would try it on the Brother. It didn't like them at all and promptly broke 2. I'd had the machine probably 25 years before I tried this and I think I'd only broken 1 needle in all of that time.... I now stick with the normal needles. No idea why it didn't like them!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 14:44:29 PM »
@Helen M Maybe you have hit the nail on the head (or the needle on the fabric) in that it depends on your machine.  I have always used a 90 needle and never had any problems with stretch.  It was only when my sewing machine had an issue with a normal needle on stretch (it did a lovely bit of bumblebunching)  that I even thought of it because I had never had it happen with my Bernina either.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 14:47:14 PM »
Funny isn't it @Bumblebuncher, maybe the tension or diff feed needed a fiddle with?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 15:13:30 PM »
I dont know what size needles are in my overlocker - they're the same 2 that were in it when I bought it about 10 years ago.  They've worked on all sorts of fabric types and thicknesses up to denim and I've never had an issue with them.
I religiously change my sm needles according to the fabric I'm using.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 16:46:42 PM »
My Bernina came with a pack of regular size 80 needles so that's what's in it for everything.  I very seldom change them.  WIth the sewing machine they might get changed for a new biggish project - and any time the machine misbehaves a new needle is the first thing that gets done.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 17:00:08 PM »
I regret that I can't ever remember putting new needles in my Bernina overlocker.  I probably have, because it still works just fine. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 17:57:52 PM »
I do know I have changed needles but glad to know I am not being stupid not changing them as often as on a normal machine  :laughing:

realale

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 18:01:57 PM »
I rarely change mine. I try a test piece and if it works then I'm good to go. Can't even remember what is in my machine......  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 18:09:51 PM »
I usually use universal needles in my overlocker.  Perfectly ok on all fabrics.  Mine takes ordinary sewing machine needles and doesn’t require special ones like the coverstitch machine. 

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »
Glad to see that i am not the only one guilty of not never changing the needles in the overlocker. Strange really because i change them in the sewing machine every time i make something different.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet